Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeeves

Frame Tube Covers

13 posts in this topic

I don't recall for sure, but I think the tubes have other smaller holes in them. If this is true, you could be trapping salty water in the tubes unless you add a drain to the bottom of the pucks...Gord

Here's a thought...do with it what you will

Before using the plugs, use a dry heat source to remove as much moist air from the tubes as possible. Then, with a long wand, spray the insides of the tube with a product such as Krown rust proofing. Most rust prevention shops have the appropriate equipment to penetrate deep into the tube and the cost for a couple of quick sprays shouldn't be too expensive. This sort of rust proofing is thin enough to spray well and also mists, so it gets into all the little cracks and crevices. It also displaces water and reduces the possibility of rust or corrosion forming. Insert the plugs after making sure that there is a drain hole in the bottom of them (as suggested earlier) so that any remaining water has somewhere to go.

You are what you drive

Leadwing

'05 smart pulse, '95 Jeep winter-beater, '89 Civic and a gaggle of motorcycles:bike:

whats the point of covering the axle again?

Aesthetics only; there is no mechanical benefit in doing this.IMHO ;)

Aesthetics only; there is no mechanical benefit in doing this.IMHO ;)

I dunno - with the lights in the tubes I am sure there are a lot of luge drivers that stopped instead of rear ending me! :lol::lol: When I put my tube lights in I cut a groove in the bottom of the holders so they would drain - the unblocked tubes do seem to get a lot of crud in them - probably more harmfull than a bit of water coming in the holes at the back.Cheers,Cameron

How about posting a picture of your tube lights !

Here is the post from when I did them - complete with a short videoLED Tube lightsCheers,Cameron

I don't recall for sure, but I think the tubes have other smaller holes in them. If this is true, you could be trapping salty water in the tubes unless you add a drain to the bottom of the pucks...Gord

Just found this thread and kind of like the idea. I think there are other holes, but if they are not at the bottom, a small drain can easily be added. Once I get some rustproofing in the subframe, I will definitely want to close the back end. Thanks for the hockey puck idea!