Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Talgas

Fiat 500 Coming To Canada

42 posts in this topic

I just got home from the Edmonton Motor Show, definitely better than last year. It doesn't look like barely scraped together their booths this year. Anyways, I spoke to a Chrysler Canada Rep and she said they will be bringing the Fiat 500 to Canada late in 2010 (prob not until Nov/Dec). So look for it in about a year at the dealerships. She said they will be badging them as Fiat's and not Chrysler's, so that's good news. She also told me that they will be importing the 1.4L engine first, maybe more after that. I asked if the Abarth would be coming, she didn't know for sure but said other engine options would follow probably a few months after the initial launch. It did sound positive though. It also sounded like other Fiat models would be coming as well, but I didn't ask any further about them.That should make some of you happy here. I know I'm excited to take one out for a spin once they arrive. :D

Awesome news! Especially that it won't wear the Chrysler badge. I wonder if they'll bring in the Panda as well?-Iain

I'll test one but would I own a FIAT? Fehler in Alle Teilen the Germans still say :D Their reliability rating is very low in Europe, wrestling Renault for last place in many categories!

Nice looking little car though.

Eek! Really? The Clio we had in France was terrible and fell apart (the reverse linkage fell out of it on our way to Europa Park in Germany), but the Multipla that we put a thousand km on was rock solid. I loved that thing! I swear if they sold it here I'd consider it. :) MultiJet 1.8 Diesel and it got 5.9 L/100 km on our trip without even trying! -Iain

Interestingly the Panda is looking quite good; the 500 is not in any ADAC Pannenstastik that I've seen yet. So maybe I jumped to a conclusion that is no longer the case.smart is not doing so well; the fortwos seem to be quite bad as they get older. Sound familiar?

Fiats are the mainstay in Brazil - can't say as we saw too many with the hoods up at the side of the road - and Brazilians drive pretty hard.Cheers,Cameron

Does anyone know which plant the 500s are made at?...PS It would be a bit confusing for some of Chrysler's customers that would order a 500 and then take delivery of a tiny car..."I thought the 500 was bigger than the 300!" B)

Edited by gordo.bernard

I'll test one but would I own a FIAT? Fehler in Alle Teilen the Germans still say :D Their reliability rating is very low in Europe, wrestling Renault for last place in many categories!

Nice looking little car though.

or "Fix It Again Tony" in english

Very cool! I'm going to the show tomorrow!The Panda looks cool. it could be a good rival to the SX4 (both FWD and 4x4 versions)

Rival? They are the same car... we won't get it.

Caravan / Town and Country / VoyagerMetro / Sprint / FireflyTracker / Sunrunner / SidekickMatrix / Vibeetc. ;)-Iain Edited by Duck

Knew I was forgetting a couple!Point is, there's tons of repetition out there already, especially from Suzuki. What's one more?-Iain

Edited by Duck

Except the Panda isn't the same as a 500, at all. It just happens to share a multi-purpose platform with it. Saying it's the same car is like saying we won't get the Eos because we already have the Golf.

FIAT is reinventing Chrysler from the ground up, and will be introducing a whole range of small cars to the North American market, starting with the 500 badged as a FIAT. The next small cars will likely be Chrysler-badged FIATs, Lancias and Alfas, all of which share platforms with each other (and many other cars from other makes like GM/Opel, Saab, Peugeot, etc.).

No one said the Panda = 500. I was implying that Panda = SX4.-Iain

Nope, not at all. SX4 is the same as the FIAT Sedici, and they are made in Esztergom, Hungary. The 500, Panda and Ford Ka are made in Tychy, Poland, and the platform is not the same as the SX4/Sedici's. Nextourer said the Panda "could be a good rival to the SX4 (both FWD and 4x4 versions)" to which Keith answered, "Rival? They are the same car... we won't get it." But they are not the same. The Panda is closer to the 500 than it is to the SX4, and yet it isn't any more the same as a 500 as a Chevy Cobalt is the same as an Opel Astra, though they are built on the exact same platform.

Fiats are the mainstay in Brazil - can't say as we saw too many with the hoods up at the side of the road - and Brazilians drive pretty hard.Cheers,Cameron

Yup. Fiats are EVERYWHERE in Brazil for ages. Uno, Tempra, Fiorino, etc. I owned a Fiat 147 while living there and liked the car. Sure a little rough, but mine was reliable.

Aha! I'd never seen the Sedici. Yeah they look identical. Thanks for the clarification.I'd go for a Panda! Especially since it's endorsed by James May. ;)-Iain

Michael Schumacher's daily driver is a Fiat Croma 2.4 MultiJet though his weekend cars are somewhat more, uh, entertaining. Apparently his favourite current car is the 500 Abarth Assetto Corse, but I wonder if his new employers want him to drive a C63 or possibly a forthcoming A- or B-class AMG.

Car of the year and has heavy use in services! Seems ideal, no?Man it looks good.-Iain

Edited by Duck

Awesome news! Especially that it won't wear the Chrysler badge. I wonder if they'll bring in the Panda as well?-Iain

So nice to hear someone else enthusiastic about the return of Fiat. Unfortunately the 500 sold in the US will be built in Mexico. Kind of loses a bit of the "made in Italy" appeal don't you think? I'm still going to give it a try when they go on sale. That and the iQ. smart is going to have to do something about the gearbox if they still want to be a player. I have to say mine still puts a smile on my face (except when I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd).

The Mexican ones may be better than the Polish built ones anyway. Yes, the 500 is made in Poland at the old Polski-Fiat factory. Not Italy.