Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

2010 Totem Rendezvous - Stanley Park, Vancouver

125 posts in this topic

Alert

Saturday April 3 - are there any objecting to a change to April 3?

I hate to be the one to say it, especially as someone for which the 3rd would align better with some of my other plans, but there are more than 20 people signed up already and the event is just a few short weeks away. The date should stay as Sunday, April 4.

Alert

What would be the thinking there?

Easter Sunday was going to prevent my spouse from coming over since it's a family day... Saturday is fine with me.

Alert

... how to ask the 22 sign-ups? Make a Poll with A keep Sunday / B move to Saturday?

Is this event open to non-members?

Non-members in smarts, yes!

How about non-Canadian smart owners?And... Saturday the 3rd would make it possible for this south-of-the-border smartie to join in. ;^)

How about non-Canadian smart owners?And... Saturday the 3rd would make it possible for this south-of-the-border smartie to join in. ;^)

Holy smokes YES YES YES!Please, you would be welcomed!!

I'm confused! April 3 or 4th.There could be many people who check in at the last moment and miss the meeting completely.The title for the thread still mentions Sunday!I'll check in again so see if the change is unanimous closer to the date ....I vote for the sunniest day ;)

Get the poll going! It's probably a "go or no go" for many, and it's better to leave much time for the question/poll to spread around!We don't want people (me included) showing up on the wrong date! This gonna hurt the smart community in GVR!

+1

Get the poll going! It's probably a "go or no go" for many, and it's better to leave much time for the question/poll to spread around!We don't want people (me included) showing up on the wrong date! This gonna hurt the smart community in GVR!

I don't think a poll is neccessary based on the response thus far, indicating April 3rd is fine. If it's the 4th, I won't be there! So I will update the thread title accordingly soon.

I updated the opening post and title of the thread.Also, I am no longer supporting the new vehicle dealers due to their lobbying of the provincial governent to introduce a new 12% vehicle transfer tax on used vehicles in a private transaction. Read more about this here. So nevermind the autoshow.... screw 'em.

The New Car Dealers also certainly don't skimp when it comes to supporting the political party that best represents the interests of over 360 dealers. On Jan. 13, 2009 they sent a cool $100,000 to the B.C. Liberals, followed by another $75,000 on May 1.And their $282,000 in 2009 followed a massive $107,200 in 2008, making them one of the largest contributors to the B.C. Liberal Party.

Weather permitting, we have a tonne of options. Edited by smartzuuk

Weather permitting, we have a tonne of options.

So far, so good, as far as I'm concerned :thumbup: Is it possible/practical to post up a short-list of options? I also have no objection to you (as de facto host) just posting up your itinerary. For my part, the only stipulation would be not too much walking or stairs. Other than that, I am pleased to simply follow-the-leader!Bil :senile:

Bil, I may also have a spot fo you Saturday night to crash, but it is in Abbotsford.We should be open to doing something at a beach nearer to UBC if the weather is nice. Lots of parking usually. It would be nice o have a few technical/maintenance demos, some pictures, etc.... It's been awhile for many of us to even get together, so low pressure is the way to go IMO.

Thanks Keith! Even just Friday night would be great. It'd keep the visit from being too spendy. And then I can come down late Friday afternoon instead of leaving Kelowna at the crack of dawn Saturday.And... demos: cool. Maybe each person who has done something special to his/her smart car could present one mod each :dunno:B :senile:

1. smartzuuk (2006 Canada1 Brabus cabrio cdi)2. Mike T (2006 Canada1 Brabus cabrio cdi)3. smartcynth (2008 pure coupe gas)4. smartzuuk spare driven by TBD (2005 pulse coupe cdi)5. bilgladstone (2005 Pulse cdi)6. Henry (06 pulse cabrio cdi)7. Monkii (08' pulse cabrio gas)8. Ted (05 pure cabrio cdi)9. FastEddy (2008 Brabus Xclusive cabrio gas by Flying Tiger)10, mimota (2008 cabrio)11.sidneyfortwo (2005 Pulse Cabrio)12. Catopounce (2006 Pulse Coupe)13. jeremygray (2006 Passion Coupe cdi)14. smartvancouver (2008 Passion)15. Guinness (2009 Brabus Cabrio)16. Bruce F (Mike T's 2005 pulse cabrio)17. Peter E18.LittleFeather (2006 Pulse Coupe)19. BJ (06 pulse cabrio cdi) 20. 4DM (2009 Brabus Cabrio)21. ganisa (2008 passion cabrio)22. minImANia (2008 Passion Coupe) 23. smart fortimo (2008 Passion Cabrio)

OK, now we will not be going to the auto show? Well me and Bruce F want to!!

Edited by Mike T

I suppose we could do that on Sunday though...

Or Saturday eve.... of, who knows if the weather will cooperate, but here's hoping!

Sadly the schedule now conflicts, so down by one:1. smartzuuk (2006 Canada1 Brabus cabrio cdi)2. Mike T (2006 Canada1 Brabus cabrio cdi)3. smartcynth (2008 pure coupe gas)4. smartzuuk spare driven by TBD (2005 pulse coupe cdi)5. bilgladstone (2005 Pulse cdi)6. Henry (06 pulse cabrio cdi)7. Monkii (08' pulse cabrio gas)8. Ted (05 pure cabrio cdi)9. FastEddy (2008 Brabus Xclusive cabrio gas by Flying Tiger)10, mimota (2008 cabrio)11.sidneyfortwo (2005 Pulse Cabrio)12. Catopounce (2006 Pulse Coupe)13. smartvancouver (2008 Passion)14. Guinness (2009 Brabus Cabrio)15. Bruce F (Mike T's 2005 pulse cabrio)16. Peter E17.LittleFeather (2006 Pulse Coupe)18. BJ (06 pulse cabrio cdi) 19. 4DM (2009 Brabus Cabrio)20. ganisa (2008 passion cabrio)21. minImANia (2008 Passion Coupe) 22. smart fortimo (2008 Passion Cabrio)

We've had a change of plans regarding the cars, due to the shift to Saturday: I will come over in the white car and my friend from North Vancouver will join me in that car for this event. So we lose a car from the total but I save a packet of money on ferries and we create less CO2!Keith, have you found a driver for your "spare" smart?Also, would you like me to approach M-B Canada to see if there might be any interest in them offering some sort of sponsorship for this event?1. smartzuuk (2006 Canada1 Brabus cabrio cdi)2. Mike T and Bruce F (2006 Canada1 Brabus cabrio cdi)3. smartcynth (2008 pure coupe gas)4. smartzuuk spare driven by TBD (2005 pulse coupe cdi)5. bilgladstone (2005 Pulse cdi)6. Henry (06 pulse cabrio cdi)7. Monkii (08' pulse cabrio gas)8. Ted (05 pure cabrio cdi)9. FastEddy (2008 Brabus Xclusive cabrio gas by Flying Tiger)10. mimota (2008 cabrio)11. sidneyfortwo (2005 Pulse Cabrio)12. Catopounce (2006 Pulse Coupe)13. smartvancouver (2008 Passion)14. Guinness (2009 Brabus Cabrio)15. Peter E16. LittleFeather (2006 Pulse Coupe)17. BJ (06 pulse cabrio cdi) 18. 4DM (2009 Brabus Cabrio)19. ganisa (2008 passion cabrio)20. minImANia (2008 Passion Coupe) 21. smart fortimo (2008 Passion Cabrio)22.

In getting to the meet on the 3d, I have a border-crossing problem that involves (of course) time.My roommate, the 84 year-old WWII Purple Heart veteran, wants to go with. Unfortunately, he can't find his passport, nor is there time at this point to get an enhanced DL or passport renewal/replacement.Are there any workarounds here? What would happen if we drove into BC without approved documents? Do they check before you cross into Canada? If not, what's the chance you talk your way back in?-OR- Do I cancel and chalk it up to lesson learned?Thanks,Timo

Edited by smart fortimo

It is the USA that demands passports of foreigners now (Canadians included), but not Canada - as far as I know. Whether your friend the war veteran would be allowed back into the USA is the REAL question. Call US Customs to find out.