Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PrairieBoy

The 2010's Versus The 2009's

42 posts in this topic

I was using the new 2010 'configurator' at smart.ca, and noticed some changes.If you compare a 2009 passion cabrio, versus the 2010 passion cabrio,here are a few of the changes: A 2009 passion cabrio came with a 'radio' 10'( which included a 6-disc in dash changer) The 2010 comes with a radio 9 ( no 6-disc changer)A 2009 came with the 3-spoke steering wheel with gear shift paddles.The 2010 comes with only the 2-spoke wheel WITHOUT gear shift paddles.The 2010 (passion) comes with a folding armrest as standard,now.(for the driver's seat only)The armrest has additional starage inside.Heated seats are no longer standard on the 2010 PassionOptional 'style package', includes: -3-spoke steering wheel with paddle shifters; -'Design 1' 12-spoke 15" alloy wheels -Dashboard instruments(clock+plus rev-counter) -fog lights. ( pkg price unknown.) -Optional 'leather package' includes leather seats and'dash board in leather optic'(what ever this is) (pkg price unknown)Optional i-pod kit for hands-free system.........$210.00Optional blue tooth hands free system ......$655.00

I noticed the same while flipping through the 2010 brochure. Also, TPMS is no longer standard.

I thought the tire preasure monitoring system was MANDATORY (ie: required by government regulation) for certain vehicles,including the smart.

Yuck to no paddles or heated seats!About the CD changer: When was the last time you ever saw anyone feed a CD (let alone 6) into a car deck? :)-Iain

The heated seats might still be available as an extra cost option,just not standard on the passion.I think they are included on the brabus,which has the leather seats.Has anyone else been on thesmart.ca's 2010 'configurator'?Duck,Ive' got 6 cds loaded into my 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara's in-dash changer.I don't own an i-pod,or other 'hand-held' device.I don't even own a cell-phone!!I'm not quite as 'addicted' to technology as many peaple are these days.Not yet,anyway.

Edited by PrairieBoy

Suddenly I'm thinking I lucked out in 2009. Love the heated seats and all the other passion stuff. I have not put a cd in the deck yet. I use my iPod and want a pioneer unit.

It's impossible to compare 2009 and 2010 pricing until the price of the Style package is known. The unbundling allows smart to create more choice without having to introduce an intermediate model like the pulse. Not a bad thing if the price will be roughly the same for a fully equipped model.

Suddenly I'm thinking I lucked out in 2009.

I agree. It looks as though 2009 was a good year buy one, not only because of all the incentives but because the bugs have been worked out of the first year model.

I thought the tire preasure monitoring system was MANDATORY (ie: required by government regulation) for certain vehicles,including the smart.

The TPMS is MANDATORY in the USA not here in Canada. Thank goodness they've dropped TPMS as its a ~$500 plus waste of money. Better off having something useful like MHD as standard equpment.

I was using the new 2010 'configurator' at smart.ca, and noticed some changes.If you compare a 2009 passion cabrio, versus the 2010 passion cabrio,here are a few of the changes: A 2009 passion cabrio came with a 'radio' 10'( which included a 6-disc in dash changer) The 2010 comes with a radio 9 ( no 6-disc changer)A 2009 came with the 3-spoke steering wheel with gear shift paddles.The 2010 comes with only the 2-spoke wheel WITHOUT gear shift paddles.The 2010 (passion) comes with a folding armrest as standard,now.(for the driver's seat only)The armrest has additional starage inside.Heated seats are no longer standard on the 2010 PassionOptional 'style package', includes: -3-spoke steering wheel with paddle shifters; -'Design 1' 12-spoke 15" alloy wheels -Dashboard instruments(clock+plus rev-counter) -fog lights. ( pkg price unknown.) -Optional 'leather package' includes leather seats and'dash board in leather optic'(what ever this is) (pkg price unknown)Optional i-pod kit for hands-free system.........$210.00Optional blue tooth hands free system ......$655.00

I thought that smart Canada had announced late in 2009 that the 2010 models would be priced the same as the 2009. So they are doing that by dropping a whole bunch of equipment which will cost ~$1500+ as options. :PThe new "style" package is roughly equivalent to the differences between the Canadian 450 pure and the pulse. Edited by brd

Yuck to no paddles or heated seats!About the CD changer: When was the last time you ever saw anyone feed a CD (let alone 6) into a car deck? :) -Iain

Ya, CD players are getting right up there with tape decks...won't be long before you don't see them in cars. Higher end head units in cars are starting to not come with them even.

pure comfort package is $850pure style package is $280passion style package is $500leather package is $900heated seats is $350

Edited by smartCentreMississauga

Ya, CD players are getting right up there with tape decks...won't be long before you don't see them in cars. Higher end head units in cars are starting to not come with them even.

My (already-outdated) Alpine head unit doesn't have a CD slot. But with the 80-Gig iPod attached and hiding in the drawer, the head has about 13,500 tunes and a full-colour LCD screen with track, artist, title info as well as full cover art. Who needs a CD player? Edited by SameGuy

Some prices are not available in the configurator but here's an indirect comparison using the $500 Style package and $350 heated seats prices. It certainly looks like there's more value in the 2009 offering.

2009		  2010Base price	  $18,250	   $18,250Style package	   n/a		   5003-spoke steering wheel with  paddle shifters   std		   n/aTach & clock		160		   n/aFog lights		  145		   n/aHeated seats		std		   350TPMS				std			 ?Radio 10			std			 ?Armrest			 n/a		   std				 ------		------				 18,555		19,100+
No one has commented on the look of the 12-spoke alloys. Good? Bad? Indifferent? Edited by quirky1

I like the twelve spoke rims better than the stock rims. The stock (451) rims are hard to clean (detail).The twelve spoke are the same as on the 2009 'limited 1'.

LOVE the 12-spoke! It's the only rim (besides steelies!) I'd even remotely consider. Hate those facehuggers - have they changed the standard offering?-Iain

No, the 'face huggers' as you call them are still the standard rims for the 2010. The 'twelve-spoke' rims are included in the extra cost 'style' package, along with the three-spoke steering wheel with gear shift paddles, the fog lights,and the dash board instruments(tach/clock).

It would be useful to know how they disable TPMS in cars without that function. Those who have the option but choose not to replace faulty sensors because of their high cost would likely want to turn off the warning light. The change is unlikely to be in the instrument cluster since they are mass-produced. Likewise, it would not make sense for smart to maintain two different software versions to accommodate this option. Maybe the receiving unit is not installed?

Removing the bulb would be the easiest solution. Ironic that the TPMS actually creates 100 times the deflations that it is supposed to warn of.....2009 was THE year to buy a 451 for the price-conscious.

Likewise, it would not make sense for smart to maintain two different software versions to accommodate this option.

They already have to do this, unique fuel maps between N.A. and Europe.

Suddenly I'm thinking I lucked out in 2009. Love the heated seats and all the other passion stuff. I have not put a cd in the deck yet. I use my iPod and want a pioneer unit.

MEEE TOOOOO!!! I knew I was doing the right thing by ditching my 2008, and taking advantage of $5000 off MSRP for the 2009's.....I'm sure we'll be able to purchase the OEM arm rest through Flying Tiger shortly. TPMS is annoying but does do it's job. When I'm off warranty that's when I'll ditch the sensors altogether. Now if only they could add a switch to disable TC in emergency situations (i.e. Stuck in snow and need to spin the wheels to get out) that would be great!

Comparison of similarly equipped Passion with the previously unavailable prices included - a difference of $1,245.

2009		  2010Base price	  $18,250	   $18,250Style package	   n/a		   5003-spoke steering wheel with  paddle shifters   std		   n/aTach & clock		160		   n/aFog lights		  145		   n/aHeated seats		std		   350TPMS				std		   500Radio 10			std		   200Armrest			 n/a		   std				 ------		------				 18,555		19,800

Now if only they could add a switch to disable TC in emergency situations (i.e. Stuck in snow and need to spin the wheels to get out) that would be great!

You could do as several Americans have done and put a switch on Fuse 11.