Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

What Is This Component?

18 posts in this topic

Is it just a cover for the top chain pulley, or what's under there??? And are those little bolts tapped right into the aluminum block?

post-95-1266463399_thumb.jpg

Bil :senile: Edited by bilgladstone

LOL, smooth, Bil :)It looks like it's driven off the aft cam shaft. With that tube coming out tangentially, my guess is some kind of pump... or a position encoder.-Iain

I just spent too much time (not supposed to during business hours) looking for it. I can't get into EPCot Center from here, and I WISh the maintenance program were easier to drill through. You have to open each repair subsection for each possible subsystem to hope to see a picture of it. I went through "Complete Engine" to "Cylinder Head" to "Cylinder Head Cover" to "Timing" to blah blah blah then looked at the time and logged off. Sorry.I'll pop by the dealership later and ask what it is. :)

If I'm not mistaking it is Vacuum pump (Q0006827V006000000).

Thank you, zyx... That's the critter!B :sun:

What does the vacuum pump do? I was under the impression that they were used on older cars for cruise control (to "suck" the pedal down - our old Volvo was like this I think)...-Iain

The vacuum is used on the brake booster (big metal can on the master cylinder) - rather than go for an expensive electric powered booster most manufacturer's of diesel powered vehicles stick a vacuum pump on. Gas powered aircraft do this too since they need a reliable source for the instruments. Ever notice how stiff the brake pedal gets if the engine dies?Diesels - lacking a throttle plate - don't create any vacuum in the manifold - so to get around the issue they stick a small pump on - this includes the pickup truck crowd. Most big rigs use air brakes so they have a compressor instead (same idea but instead of pulling on a diaphram air brakes push).In the past a lot of manufactures used engine vacuum to run some pretty bizarre things- door locks, headlight retracts, windshield wipers (real interesting at slow engine speeds in heavy rain), engine distributor advance, choke, cruise control, and a few other things- after they switched up to 12 volts they could run more electrical items - once they got better electric motors and such they moved away from vacuum devices (leaky hoses would cause your engine to run like crap). These days the vacuum on regular cars is still used for engine control, transmission (some cars), and the brakes.Once we see the new 36 volt and other hybrid electrical systems come on you will probably see power steering (smart already has it) and brakes move away from using vacuum - mind you a dead battery is going to mean more than just getting some buddies you give you a push to start the car.....Cheers,Cameron

I found this cutaway picture to help understand how it works: a type of roller vacuum pump, I think, driven off the top cam chain sprocket. Not sure if it's direct or reduction-geared. I suspect it requires little or no maintenance at all over the service life of the engine. I've certainly never seen it mentioned in any of the smart list-serves I have visited over the last 5 years.

post-95-1266624649_thumb.jpg

B :senile:

Should be rebuildable if parts are around (probably supplied by some one else) - if not and very $ you could retrofit a bunch of options (they even have electric powered vacuum pumps for cars with too much cam).Cheers,Cameron

If the smart part is too expensive - here is an aftermarket solution - might be good for .001 more km/100l too since it only runs when needed! :lol:

Electric vacuum pump

Cheers,

Cameron

If the smart part is too expensive - here is an aftermarket solution - might be good for .001 more km/100l too since it only runs when needed! :lol:Electric vacuum pumpCheers,Cameron

In Canada, Randy at Canadian Electric Vehicles sells a vacuum pump for ICE to all Electric conversions. They are a bit noisy, but work..http://www.canev.com/KitsComp/Components/VacuumPumpKit.html

My 40 year old VW bus relies on vacuum boost for it's brakes.......You definitely want to make sure your well warmed up with a reliable idle before you approach the first stop sign - ask me how I know! :o ...these are almost impossible to stop without boost assist!MZ

My 46 year old Peugeot has that too but they have a vacuum reservoir to take care of the problem described above.