Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Speedie

Detailed Technical Photos - 450

23 posts in this topic

]I had a request to post some photos I took of a stripped down smart they had in Three Point Motors and a smart up on the hoist. The photos are of technical aspects with some text inserted for maintenance notes or for what it is you are looking at. Others should feel free to do the same - make sure the photo is clear and you put a description in the title or on the image.It makes it a lot easier if you know what you are tackling rather than trying to guess or do gymnastics to try and see the item.Cheers,Cameronpost-375-1266819370_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266819380_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266819392_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266819401_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266819409_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266819423_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266819482_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266819493_thumb.jpg

More - right click on the picture and click on save picture for the picture namepost-375-1266820238_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266820247_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266820258_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266820274_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266820288_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266820328_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266820648_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266820660_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266820676_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266820697_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266820713_thumb.jpg

MOST excellent! Thank you for that, Cameron!

Any chance you or others have a picture of this area - the front engine mount, on other side of the tube from the DeDion mount you showed us above?

post-95-1266822802_thumb.jpg

B :sun: Heh-heh... not asking too much, eh? ;) Edited by bilgladstone

Hi Bill - no motor mount pictures - yet! I will try to fire up a few more that I have taken when I get a chance - I try to keep a camera handy when I am doing stuff - mind you taking pictures of a nice shiny new car in the dealership especially if it is up on a hoist is a lot nicer. Duck has some good shots too - may be we should collect them or the links and put 'em all in one spot.Cheers,Cameronp.s. - Ummm Bil - you are aware that car is on it's side?????

p.s. - Ummm Bil - you are aware that car is on it's side?????

I was looking for loose change between the seats. :P

post-375-1266820877_thumb.jpgpost-375-1266820890_thumb.jpg

Speedie, these are excellent! Thanks so much. :D I have a question about the above two photos. Was there a gasket between the oil pan and the bottom of the engine? It looks like there is a gasket in the picture but I want to make sure. Edited by briand

The replacement oil pans come with a liquid gasket material to be added by the installer.

Thanks Huronlad! :) We're taking it off now. Looks like its only RTV :)

Uhm, are there any instructions for removing the oil pan? I'm looking but if anyone knows, I'd appreciate a tip in the right direction. :)

I'll try to get some pictures.

UPDATE: I found this: Oil pan removal but it just says to remove the plastic alternator cover. I assume it clips on? Or are there bolts?

Edited by briand

Can we keep this area for Technical Photos so it doesn't become a quagmire of cross posts? I didn't remove the pan - it was one I bought so don't know what they used to seal it.Cheers,Cameron

I crawled under the new to us 06 CDI today, just looking for potential problems as well as trying to educate myself as to what is where. Could others please comment where I did not know what part was or perhaps gave wrong description. I will then update those pictures. Please don't comment on oil leaks here - we can do that elsewhere.Engine LH Side (#1 - High Pressure Pump output & #2 Fuel Rail pressure sensor)post-8531-1284321429_thumb.jpgEngine Fuel Systempost-8531-1284321445_thumb.jpgEngine RH Side (#1 - Body electronics module & #2 fuel rail regulator )post-8531-1284321470_thumb.jpgEngine Underside #1 (Block Heater)post-8531-1284321491_thumb.jpgEngine Underside #2 (Parking Brake cables)post-8531-1284321506_thumb.jpgEGR hose abrasionpost-8531-1284321588_thumb.jpgOil Filter Exteriorpost-8531-1284321630_thumb.jpgOil Leaks Crankcase vent:post-8531-1284321650_thumb.jpgpost-8531-1284321660_thumb.jpgBottom of enginepost-8531-1284321679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham

Engine Underside #1 (What is that part?)

That is your block heater. The element you see exposed goes into a channel around the transmission housing. I am surprised how much of it is sticking out.

Engine Underside #2 (What is that part?)

That is the parking brake cable harness. One cable from the brake handle pulls two cables that go to the rear brakes.

Bil :sun:

The first 2 oil leak photos are due to oil leaving the crank case. Many cars will likely be leaking here. Filling the oil to the max line makes this situation worse.

Engine Underside #1 (What is that part?)

That is your block heater. The element you see exposed goes into a channel around the transmission housing. I am surprised how much of it is sticking out.

Engine Underside #2 (What is that part?)

That is the parking brake cable harness. One cable from the brake handle pulls two cables that go to the rear brakes.

Bil :sun:

Block heater?? How far should that be in? Can see that having exposed elements is not too good!

Please don't clutter this area with question based posts unless you want to know more detail about an existing photo - this topic is intended to be a pictoral reference for folks - so if you have good pictures with everything identified please post them - if you have questions please post elsewhere you will get just as good as answers (Moderators could you shuffle as you see fit).Cheers,Cameron

Great pics! It would be wonderful to work on such a clean machine. The pictures below show the rear crash bar where it mounts on to the tridion/subframe.The aluminium spacer plate can be seen sandwiched between the steel tridion and the CMS, and the electrolytic damage to those plates is quite severe. They appear to have acted as sacrificial anodes and saved the crash bar, but couldn't this have been prevented by placing an insulator between these two different metals? I also have learned that the crash bar is supposed to have foam rubber covers over the ends, which were missing on mine and as a result it was full of very fine dust.

post-2188-1345755937_thumb.jpg

post-2188-1345756123_thumb.jpg

AAAAWWWSome!Thanks a lot for the pictures! :D Do you have any pictures how to reach the horn?My car´s horn is not working and can´t find it.Regards

Drop the front plastic floor shroud and loosen the rear one. Crawl underneath and it's mounted on the front suspension crossmember. If you're changing it, get a proper horn!

This is really AWESOME!! I just joined the site and was perusing around...what a find! Thanks for all the pics and info.