Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drexus

450 Marker Lights

35 posts in this topic

Everyone knows the front fender - side marker lights on a 450 has a design flaw. They trap water inside the lens from the inside, and it stays there until it freezes in winter, cracking the face.I've seen an aftermarket light kit that uses LEDs and does not let in water. Anyone know of this kit?

The front sidemarker lights are simple trailer clearance lights, 2.5" round. You can source then at Princess Auto or most truck/trailer parts places. You can get LED orange or clear that lights up orange, just a matter of personal taste. Sometimes they are hard to remove but very easy to install

Turn CCW to remove, use slipjoint pliers. They are throwaway units so no worries about scratches. You'll see how they mount once you take one off. A bit of silicone grease will make future changes easier, but get the LED units and you won't have to.

Heh-heh-heh... Is 'e 'aving' a larf?

post-95-1266975379_thumb.jpg

They are also turn signal repeaters.

Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

I picked up a pair at the local Traction truck parts supplier. They are made by Grote in Canada!!! I also hooked them up as turn signals only. I didn't like the way the ribs oriented when twist mounted so I just used some double sided auto trim tape. They haven't moved in two years and they match the silver car much better.

post-6582-1266980099_thumb.jpg

The front sidemarker lights are simple trailer clearance lights, 2.5" round. You can source then at Princess Auto or most truck/trailer parts places. You can get LED orange or clear that lights up orange, just a matter of personal taste. Sometimes they are hard to remove but very easy to install

The ones I saw had 6 LEDs in it, and it looked almost OE. I'll have a look at Princess Auto. I hope I don't have to cut/drill larger holes or something.

The ones I saw had 6 LEDs in it, and it looked almost OE. I'll have a look at Princess Auto. I hope I don't have to cut/drill larger holes or something.

They also come in 9 and 13 LED clusters. No cutting - they twist straight in. Transport Canada totally cheaped out with this amateurish "trucky" solution, but it makes replacement simple. B :senile:

They also come in 9 and 13 LED clusters. No cutting - they twist straight in. Transport Canada totally cheaped out with this amateurish "trucky" solution, but it makes replacement simple. B :senile:

Ok. I think I found one. Does this look right for size to everyone here?2" Amber LED

Ok. I think I found one. Does this look right for size to everyone here?

2" Amber LED

Looks like the ones I have in mine. Very easy to install. One word of caution....once the light has been freed from the bodywork, make sure that when you unplug the unit from the connector that you don`t drop the connector back ito the hole where the light goes. It could be a real pain to get back out.

Ron

You are what you drive

'05 smart pulse "Blue Light Special", '95 Jeep winter-beater, '89 Civic and a gaggle of motorcycles :bike:

Ok. I think I found one. Does this look right for size to everyone here?

2" Amber LED

Nope. You need two and one-half inch diameter. Just go into any auto parts or truck parts store. You don't even need the grommet and plug; just the light. Edited by bilgladstone

Nope. You need two and one-half inch diameter. Just go into any auto parts or truck parts store. You don't even need the grommet and plug; just the light.

You're right of course, 2½ inches, not two inches..I was looking at the picture only, not the size.

Ron

You are what you drive

'05 smart pulse "Blue Light Special", '95 Jeep winter-beater, '89 Civic and a gaggle of motorcycles :bike:

Nope. You need two and one-half inch diameter. Just go into any auto parts or truck parts store. You don't even need the grommet and plug; just the light.

Ok. I'm concerned about depth. I tried to pull out the old ones, but it seems like I'll have to remove the whole fender for that.

Here are 10 lights... that should take care of both my 450s and anyone else in the Ottawa area:

2.5" LED Marker Lights

Edited by Drexus

Ok. I'm concerned about depth. I tried to pull out the old ones, but it seems like I'll have to remove the whole fender for that.

It can be done by simply turning the light (lens) CCW about ¼ turn, then pull out. The replacement light has lots of room. Other things were being done on my car when mine were replaced so the panel was off, but it can be done without removing the bodywork at all. If the car is a few years old and has been subjected to the elements, some silicone spray might be needed to assit in making the unit turn.

Ron

You are what you drive

It can be done by simply turning the light (lens) CCW about ¼ turn, then pull out. The replacement light has lots of room. Other things were being done on my car when mine were replaced so the panel was off, but it can be done without removing the bodywork at all. If the car is a few years old and has been subjected to the elements, some silicone spray might be needed to assit in making the unit turn.

Ron

You are what you drive

Thanks. I'll give it a try when there is more light out.

Undoing 4 T-25 bolts on the front door jamb gives easy access to any dropped wire in the side marker area. 30 second deviation, if it happens....

Instead of using slip pliers, use black electrical tape. Cut a foot length and then wrap around the edge of the light a couple of times. Grab the tape anf turn CCW and they will pull out. Disconnect the plug from the back. This method has worked about the last 40 times for me. Never had an issue with the led's that I have installed. I probably have a set if you're interested.Good luck!

I picked mine up at Princess Auto in ottawa, 2.5" orange led, super bright compared with stock ones and I like the orange lense on my phat red car. Looks completely stock. The clear ones look nice on silver or black cars though, all personal preference. I paid around $6 each.

I picked mine up at Princess Auto in ottawa, 2.5" orange led, super bright compared with stock ones and I like the orange lense on my phat red car. Looks completely stock. The clear ones look nice on silver or black cars though, all personal preference. I paid around $6 each.

I was there yesterday and worried the lights would stick out too far. Can you post a photo?

I was there yesterday and worried the lights would stick out too far. Can you post a photo?

Good News!I've finally found the proper lights for our needs.There were two issues I was having trouble with. 1: The light needed to be no more then 3/4" deep. I just couldn't get past the idea of having something sticking out. 2: DOT compliant lens. The stock lens has one feature that all of the Princess Auto stuff doesn't have (aside from being too deep), the lens needs to be reflective - just like a reflector on your bike. Anything else would not meet DOT requirements. I know most of you might not care about this part, but try and get a safety without it.Good news: I have found a place to get them online.Bad news: They refuse to ship to Canada.The lights appear to be exactly the same as the OE version, only, they have 8 LEDs in them. Right now they sell for about $8 each.I can have them sent to a US address, and have them shipped from there. If anyone wants in on the order, I can grab a bunch for the rest of us. I'm going to get 4 for myself.Here is the link for those who want to check it out:LED Marker Light

Neat! The only problem I have with them is that they are coloured lenses. The non-compliant LED markers we have been using are clear (white, perhaps) with amber LEDs. On most smart panel colours, the clear lenses are more aesthetically pleasing. IIRC, the TC technical standards section on markers says the front side marker's reflector can be amber or white, but maybe I'm misremembering.

If my memory serves me right the clear ones with the yellow/orange LEDs that some of us are using are not reflective so do not meet TC regs. These ones are reflective so should meet the regs. Correct me if I am wrong.Roy

If you have an annual vehicle inspection, take the clear LEDs out for that day -put the orange slices back in - and replace them right afterwards....The clear ones protruding about 5 mm from the fender surface is perfect if you convert your lights to flash with the turn signals, a plus for safety in heavy traffic.