Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

Coming Soon...

76 posts in this topic

These are my goals. Not to say they will all get done, but you gotta have goals, eh?

Exhaust: specialty 2" high-flow catalytic + custom spiral baffle + resonator tailpipe.

Intake: ITG maxogen JC62/60 tri-foam filter on short ram induction WAI.

Engine: hydraulic torque damper

Oil: new Royal Purple 5W40 Euroblend synthetic + Amsoil "nano"-efficiency spin-on filter

Brakes: Custom Goodridge Stainless Brake Hose kit

Wheels: 5" Roadster steels - powder-coated gloss black - all 'round (w/rear spacers), shiny chrome bolts and silver beauty rings, Hankook Ventus Ultra-High-Performance four-season tires: 4x 175/55/15

Suspension: tweak Bilsteins just a smidge lower and balance left/right ride height to my weight now that they are well bedded in.

Doors and clutch actuator: lubricate with Wurth HHS2000

Gosh, when I write it out like that... I might be a little too ambitious!

Bil :senile:

Edited by bilgladstone

Yer a wild and crazy guy Bil !!!My immediate goals are to find the energy to dig my car out of the snowbank she's livin in right now as the past couple a weeks would have been ok to drive her.dry roads and above zero temps.I think old man winter isn't done with us yet though.it would have been nice to get behind the wheel even if for a short time though.My truck averages 21- 24 litres per 100 km so i really miss drivin my smart but oh well what can ya do eh?I like the 4x4 and the heat output of my ole truck when it's cold.a couple more months and then i should be drivin my smart full time again.I think near the end of this summer I will be puttin my smart up for sale though, She's been for sale word of mouth for awhile but this summer for real i think.the truck i have will be up aswell. I think i will be going back to a mini type truck like I had before, the smart can't pull my atv and my truck is way too big for my needs now...so i need to find a solution some where's in the middle.Anywaze sounds like you have a busy summer ahead of you Bil, pace yerself old friend.Thats something i have had to get used to since my health went kaput!Rog

Anywaze sounds like you have a busy summer ahead of you Bil, pace yerself old friend.Thats something i have had to get used to since my health went kaput!

I hear ya there, buddy. I need assistance with nearly everything auto-related now - even simple things I did solo just a year or two ago.Take care, Rog.B :sun:

Bil,I see you're back on the Amsoil filter trail. I too was a super efficient filter fanuntil I saw the following which makes perfect sense at least to me...http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1...lter-efficiency

Yeah, Rick, I've been all around the Mulberry bush on this. Simple fact is, I have one or two Amsoil filters left and will use them. When they're gone, I expect to switch over to something cheaper and more readily available like the Fram Tough Guard (which I can get at Canadian Tire) or something like that.The fact of the matter is, I usually change oil and filter at around 5-7,oookm, so for all practical purposes, it doesn't much matter what filter I use, as long as it's made for synthetic oil. But I'm sold on the RPI 5W40. Reminds me, I need to put my order in at Lordco because they need lots of lead time - took over two months to get them to bring in the RPI 0W40 last year!Cheers,Bil :senile:

Exhaust: specialty 2" high-flow catalytic + custom spiral baffle + resonator tailpipe.

CHECK :thumbup:

... during fabrication and installation this morning: post-95-1267214257_thumb.jpg

Edited by bilgladstone

Nice list Bill.Ugh, makes me think about what I have to do to get the racecar ready for this summer though...a very long a depressing list.

CHECK :thumbup:

... during fabrication and installation this morning: post-95-1267214257_thumb.jpg

Looks great :)my custom exhaust had no form of vibration control, so the bracket ripped itself out of the muffler haha, going to fix it up soon and get ready for the summer, cant wait

Looks great :)

my custom exhaust had no form of vibration control, so the bracket ripped itself out of the muffler haha, going to fix it up soon and get ready for the summer, cant wait

Uh-oh! ;) Yes, it's important to have flexible hangers and a flex pipe section right at the downpipe. It's what MB/smart learned [from us?] and incorporated in the 451.

Posted Image

Part of me wishes I did some mods too. *Jealous* But in all honesty, I don't even know how to top-up the windshield washer fluid :(

Part of me wishes I did some mods too. *Jealous* But in all honesty, I don't even know how to top-up the windshield washer fluid :(

2009 Brabus? You don't need to be tinkering with that, mate! Just enjoy the he// out of it!B :sun:

2009 Brabus? You don't need to be tinkering with that, mate! Just enjoy the he// out of it!B :sun:

There is always room for improvement, isn't there? :)

There is always room for improvement, isn't there? :)

My motto: "If it ain't broke, you can still probably tweak it a bit." :sun:

My motto: "If it ain't broke, you can still probably tweak it a bit." :sun:

Haha, excellent!

Oh and GO CANADA!!!!!

Exhaust update:

SUPER smooth launch now - no shudder or shake - just a nice s m o o t h application of power. Unexpected bonus!

It's a deeper, stronger sound now too, but a little loud (as you'd expect). But same as in earlier iterations, I expect it will mellow a bit as the cat and resonator internals start to get their carbon lining. And I intend to add exhaust wrap (notes below) to keep gas temperature up, so that should also abate the sound. So once the valance is back on, it all should be about where I want it to be.

Exhaust wrap notes:

"Exhaust wraps help to retain heat in your exhaust system, which increases horsepower while reducing radiant heat damage. By wrapping the ... exhaust system it maintains hotter exhaust gases, decreases the density, and allows the exhaust gas to exit the system faster"

This velocity increase is especially important as regards my spiral baffle pipe. Wrap also keeps the catalytic converter well hot for increased emissions reduction, and will reduce heat transfer to turbo and air intake pipe - all good things!

B :senile:

Posted Image

Edited by bilgladstone

OK, I think I found something to mod this summer, pic attached. :D

Awesome! Not only looks sweet but importantly also improves visibility of the smart car - be seen!B :sun:

Wowzers! I was out for a drive this morning and had occasion to overtake a duffermobile. Part way through passing, I put a little extra boot in and when the revs got up there, there was an extra kick in the pants! Not a downshift, but the power came on like a supercharger just kicked in! What a surprise!

Bil :drive:

Awesome Bil! ;) that's great news.Can you post more pics?

More piccies probably next week.

Still on the subject of the exhaust. The heat wrap tape came today (Wednesday) and I put it on this afternoon. What a messy job!! You have to wear gloves, dust mask, and eye protection because of the particles of whatever it's made of and the powder with which it is impregnated.It was also difficult to wrap the wet tape carefully around the part where the 2" pipe widens to the 4" catalytic canister and back again - it kept slipping and sliding and wanting to bunch up at the "shoulders."Anyway, it didn't fully dry/cure just on my drive home, so it's left overnight and I'll take the long way into town tomorrow and then get a picture to post up here. I'm not sure if it gets hard like fibreglass or what... :dunno:Got word the new short-ram air filter was shipped out today by FedEx 2-day service. Once it comes, I'll remove the rear panels, install the intake and put the valance back on.Then I'll be able to take the car to my trusted indie for the oil change and most of the things on the list above. Woo-hoo!Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

Still on the subject of the exhaust. The heat wrap tape came today (Wednesday) and I put it on this afternoon. What a messy job!! You have to wear gloves, dust mask, and eye protection because of the particles of whatever it's made of and the powder with which it is impregnated.It was also difficult to wrap the wet tape carefully around the part where the 2" pipe widens to the 4" catalytic canister and back again - it kept slipping and sliding and wanting to bunch up at the "shoulders."Anyway, it didn't fully dry/cure just on my drive home, so it's left overnight and I'll take the long way into town tomorrow and then get a picture to post up here. I'm not sure if it gets hard like fibreglass or what... :dunno:Got word the new short-ram air filter was shipped out today by FedEx 2-day service. Once it comes, I'll remove the rear panels, install the intake and put the valance back on.Then I'll be able to take the car to my trusted indie for the oil change and most of the things on the list above. Woo-hoo!Bil :sun:

Where did you get the short ram intake from? and How much was it if you don't mind me asking?