Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

Coming Soon...

76 posts in this topic

Where did you get the short ram intake from? and How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

There's not much out there for off-the-shelf components for the smart cdi. So like most things, pretty much put it together myself. It's basically just a 2" silicone adapter/increaser for the turbo inlet throat, then some very short pipe and a tri-foam performance filter. A simple modified WAI set-up. I haven't finalized the design until the filter gets here and I can fiddle with it. I'm really hoping this works out well... it will free up a lot of room in the engine compartment. Room for what? .... well... first things first! ;)B :senile:

There's not much out there for off-the-shelf components for the smart cdi. So like most things, pretty much put it together myself. It's basically just a 2" silicone adapter/increaser for the turbo inlet throat, then some very short pipe and a tri-foam performance filter. A simple modified WAI set-up. I haven't finalized the design until the filter gets here and I can fiddle with it. I'm really hoping this works out well... it will free up a lot of room in the engine compartment. Room for what? .... well... first things first! ;)B :senile:

Awsome :) The only thing I would be concerned about is that right now the air box breathes directly from outside the car, which means cooler air. Once you put a short ram intake into that small engine compartment with a very hot diesel engine next to it, wouldn't it be breathing in warmer air? (less performance)Let me know how it works out for you, this might be a mod I'll do if it works good

Awsome :) The only thing I would be concerned about is that right now the air box breathes directly from outside the car, which means cooler air. Once you put a short ram intake into that small engine compartment with a very hot diesel engine next to it, wouldn't it be breathing in warmer air? (less performance)Let me know how it works out for you, this might be a mod I'll do if it works good

There is much back-and-forth you can read on the interwebinet regarding CAI vs WAI. I did a complete air-box delete 2-3 years ago and the intake has been drawing from the engine compartment all this time. No lack of performance noted thus far. The little 0.8l cdi is not a very hot diesel in any case. And the engine compartment is much like in any car - open underneath. It's only sealed up on top where the lid to the people compartment is. Once you start crawling around under there, it's surprising how much availability of ambient air there is.B :sun:

I have done testing on my racecar with a CAI. The longer intake pipe (to draw in "fresh cold air") only makes a difference on intake air temps at idle, when sitting at a light. As soon as you are moving, it makes no difference, you can pretty much get the air from anywhere under the hood and get the same air temps. On a N.A. car, the only real difference with a CAI is that you are using a longer tube, which will be better tuned to a higher RPM due to the resonant frequencies, which would not make nearly as much difference on a turbo car.

I have done testing on my racecar with a CAI. The longer intake pipe (to draw in "fresh cold air") only makes a difference on intake air temps at idle, when sitting at a light. As soon as you are moving, it makes no difference, you can pretty much get the air from anywhere under the hood and get the same air temps. On a N.A. car, the only real difference with a CAI is that you are using a longer tube, which will be better tuned to a higher RPM due to the resonant frequencies, which would not make nearly as much difference on a turbo car.

Thanks for confirming by your experience what I had also calculated. Our low rpm turbo diesel is well suited to intake mods of many kinds.

Thanks for confirming by your experience what I had also calculated. Our low rpm turbo diesel is well suited to intake mods of many kinds.

Sweet, this is now on my next list of mods then :)

Sounds/looks like your clutch has fantastic bite, as well. I miss that! How come your front rims and back rims are different colours?-Iain

Wow, that's loud!

I guess it is, yes. Not so loud at idle or gentle acceleration - I almost never rev the car up like that in normal use. And it was filmed in an enclosed courtyard. But certainly it is louder than average.

Sounds/looks like your clutch has fantastic bite, as well. I miss that! How come your front rims and back rims are different colours?-Iain

No biggie. I didn't have a chance to get the skinny front rims painted before having the snowies mounted for winter. Just lazy and attending to other things.

I don't think I showed you my brake lights yet:

Posted Image

B :sun:

Oil+filter change day today: RPI 5W40. Also re-installed the wide fibreglass intercooler scoop. Lowered the Bilsteins a bit more while hopefully preserving Eddy's relative weight distibution.

4x roadster front steelies + 4x Hankook Ventus UHP all-seasons + shiny chrome lug bolts + mini trangle centre caps and silver metal "beauty rings".

Posted Image

Suh-weet! And BIG thanks to Terry at Kelowna Auto Care.

Bil :sun:

looks great, Bil! :) Now you're making me feel bad. All I've done is fit the new Forge Motorsports intercooler boost hose for smart car with dv take off and the upgraded earth lead for the engine compartment. :lol:

Not to worry. I am a long way from my final goal...

post-95-1271385738_thumb.jpg

B :sun:

Bil, I have to say - I really like how you changed that bottom plastic piece on your car from black to green. I think I'll do the same with mine (we have the same colour combination).

Bil, I have to say - I really like how you changed that bottom plastic piece on your car from black to green. I think I'll do the same with mine (we have the same colour combination).

Thanks Ross... glad you like it. I had the Brabus side skirts painted when the car was in to have a damaged fender repainted. Figured since they had to mix the paint anyway... photoshopped 'em first and thought it looked groovy, so told them to go ahead.Cheers,Bil :sun:

I'd only recommend doing it to the BRABUS side skirts Ross, because the standard grey rockers are flush with the door etc and the BRABUS ones stick out a few cm from that, which limits the stone damage at the rear, from front wheel debris. Even with front mudflaps, the paint on an OE skirt would probably be picked clean at the rear where it flares out so much. Unfortunately the BRABUS skirts cost a lot (though TPM sold a set at the Garage Sale in 2008 for $200).

Attended a dibber GTG of the Vancouver Island "Marmots" on Thursday at Applebees in Victoria. I asked Mike T to take my car for a spin and give me his thoughts on performance etc. Briefly, it was faster than his Canada One and the shocks weren't as jarring as he expected.@ Mike: any more thoughts after your brief highway jaunt?Bil :sun:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Geez Bil, you got that little unit SLAMMED!I just noticed how low you are!

Edited by Coast Steve

It was slammed even more when I climbed into it!Other thoughts: it's quicker than my two 450s, but not by a large margin, according to my butt-o-meter and a few little acceleration tests I was able to do. My stock 1984 Renault 5 with ~60 HP was faster, mainly because you could rev that car to 6.5K RPM and it pulled hard to that engine speed in all gears. It would do 125+ in 3rd up any and I do mean ANY hill. I lived in the Kootenays when I owned the R-5 and it would do 125+ up the Coq's Great Bear Snow Shed, Kootenay Pass and Hope Slide, no problem. Had I driven Bil's car on the road I drive to work it would have been easier to assess.The Eddy remapped cdi definitely has appreciably more pull than stock, but the power curve still flattens out at about 3K RPM. I couldn't time an 80-100 km/h in 5th that was really accurate due to the slope of the land (I tried it on a relatively flat 4 lane passing section) and it seemed to be about 1 second quicker than my car, 5 seconds versus a tad over 6 in the white car. The propensity of the downshift arrow to flash was reduced a fair bit so I think in normal economical driving this could be an advantage in hilly terrain, mainly from a FE perspective and from a "nuisance of shifting" point of view. But with paddles, is shifting EVER a nuisance? I think not! The increased torque is the main benefit and that definitely makes driving the car easier in hilly topography.I said to Bil that we ought to have a day at a drag strip for fun + comparison purposes and he said, yeah maybe we'd get three club members out for that :D