Guest ncdm44

Shift Error Please Help

13 posts in this topic

i own a 2005 pure and had a little problem earlier today, i was in 4th coming to a red light and trying to gear down but it would not change, the cars in front of me start to move so i tried to accelerate, the car would not accererate it got to about 20km and thats all it would do. i pulled over to the side of the road and put my four ways on. there was three flashing lines kind of like a E. i turned the car off for a few mins and then turned it back on and it went back to normal.does anyone have any suggestions for this or do i need to just take it to the dealership?thanks

Might be a low battery or brake light switch. Working one one with exact same symptoms. Get it checked with the Star.In my case. Replaced both parts. No more bars.

I'm having the same problem, except it happened right after I started the car. I could not switch into gear (neither 1st nor R). I had to turn the car off for a few minutes, lock the doors, then unlock, re-start the ignition, then it finally worked. This problem happened to me twice in the last month or so. I had my battery replaced in between the 2 occurrences, so the battery doesn't seem to be related to this problem. Anyone have an idea of what's going on or how to fix it? I have a 2006 450 with just under 80,000 km. By the way, how would I check the brake light switch?

If the brake light switch is not functioning correctly, your brake lights will not come on when the brake pedal is pressed, you will also not hear the relay clicking from the E-box.

I had this one time four years ago (88k now). Removed the battery ground wire, waited 30 seconds & reconnected. Never seen again since.

Also check the ground strap in the engine compartment.

And have a look here: http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=168

Not the case for the car that was in motion - but if you bump the shifter at an inopportune time you can get the 3 bars as well - shut down and restart will clear them generally.Cheers,Cameron

I'm having the same problem, except it happened right after I started the car. I could not switch into gear (neither 1st nor R). I had to turn the car off for a few minutes, lock the doors, then unlock, re-start the ignition, then it finally worked. This problem happened to me twice in the last month or so. I had my battery replaced in between the 2 occurrences, so the battery doesn't seem to be related to this problem. Anyone have an idea of what's going on or how to fix it? I have a 2006 450 with just under 80,000 km. By the way, how would I check the brake light switch?

I took my smart into the Innisfil dealership and they said it was a problem with the Gear Position Sensor, which needed replacing. Luckily, I was still a few meters under 80,000km so it was still covered under warranty. Also, they've generously offered to to replace my turbo for me. I've heard these can be quite expensive. Apparently it was beginning to make a funny noise, which they said is indicator that it is about to break. Edited by DrZaius

I had the same problem with mine, wasn't so easy to fix as just tuning her off and turning her back on again, in the end it turned out to be a tailight bulb put in upside down, being upside down it was on all the time shining brighter than the other side, took the bulb out, rotated it and put it back in, perfect ever since well that problem anyway. Out of curiosity i took the bulb out again and put it back in upside down, i couldnt believe that that could have been my problem, but sure enough after i put in back in upside down i got in and couldn't get her into any gear and i got the 3 bars again.

We've got two of these, both with over 100k. It happened to both and was rectified by having the clutch adjusted.

Hi.

I recently bought a 2005 turbo diesel Passion. 

If I don't shift the.way it wants me to, then it beeps & flashes three lines. If I don't do anymore shifting, it usually doesn't change gears unless I break. However, if I shift up a few times, the beeping stops, the flashing continues, and gears change automatically!

There is no button on the shifter to switch in and out of automatic, yet it shifts automatically after I upshift too much.

It obviously has automatic mode, so how difficult would it be to modify it, so I can actually select (& deselect) automatic mode?

Thanks.

All Smarts will change automatically if you do not change manually whether they have the button or not.

The problem is that it does not change up until you red line it.

A button is easy enough to fit once you remove the gear lever but I think personally I would be more concerned with the three lines on the dash. Get that sorted first.

I manual shift my car sparingly. If figure it's going to screw up if I use it to much. My car zips along pretty good so I find no advantage to manual shifting it to get better performance.

Edited by Smart4two

I think you need to have a STAR reprogram the car to recognize the manual shift button, but i could be wrong?
I always use manual shifting, it means I can control where the RPMs are at the shifts points. I usually shift up at 2600 and down before 1750 for the best kmph which means I easily get 3.5 lt per hundred driven. But I also drive at 1950 RPMs to get those numbers. I also live close to sea level in a pretty flat area. 
Once you settle down and drive like an old lady you will find that you get to where you are going a few minutes later than if you were doing your best to get there sooner, OR magically catch everyone up who have passed you at the next light or 3....it's just funny how that works...lol.  I used to be one of those who raced every where and burned out cars while doing so far sooner than they should have died...lol. Now I simply plod along and enjoy the fact I can easily get 80 mpgs.....lol.

IF you do not have a shift button or paddles how are you shifting? Doesn't the car do it for you all the time?  Hmmm...?    I agree the car wants to get to the top of the power band before shifting which results in a harder shift and poorer fuel economy....imho.....?