Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John & Angela

Hold Onto Those Cdi's Boys And Girls.

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here is a cut and paste of an email I received from a gentleman at Mercedes re possible reintroduction of a diesel into Canada. "Thank you for your recent inquiry. Please note we are working in conjunction with our parent company in Germany to ensure that smart Canada can offer the right technology and drivetrain options to the Canadian marketplace, however, we have no further information at this time. Subsequently, there are no immediate plans to reintroduce the diesel variant as it does not meet federal emission requirements. My apologies that we couldn't provide more favourable news.Best regards,E. SomervilleCSI Co-ordinatorMercedes-Benz Canada Inc.smart Canada DivisionSigh.................I am not a mechanic so have no idea but I wonder what the challenge is in getting it compliant.On edit. Kudos to the Mercedes gent who took the time to respond. I can't see ever buying another gasser so If I do buy another vehicle it will probably have to be a TDI Jetta whuch is kinda big and huge and has a back seat that I NEVER use. Hopefully the smarts will hang in there for awhile.

Edited by John & Angela

More exhaust filtering and money to have the cdi certified for use in NA.It took some 40 - 50 thousands cars sold in NA for M-B to finally agree to certify and supply a factory cruise control for the smart.They likely would have a hard time selling 10 - 20 thousand cdi in NA over the next decade. If a person is wanting a 451 cdi in NA they will have to build it themselves.

I wonder if any of the Mercedes Reps actually read this forum...and if they do...whats up. The reply, although appreciated, comes across as "we are deciding what is right for you and then will inform you if you like it". GM did this and is probably the best example of a failed, tax payer supported company. Maybe every one is lying to me but every body that has seen or driven our smarts says the same thing. If the smart diesel was available they would buy one. Some have bought used cdi's Sorry., Just venting.

Edited by John & Angela

I just sent in my email. Told them if they do not bring back the CDI, I would not consider buying a second car.

I am waiting for the smart Nationals to ask Jill Lajdziak how many smart cdi would have to be sold in total or per year to make the expense viable.

I'm thinking that the ideal smartcar for NA would be a choice of the CDI for those who put on enough distance to exceed the electric range (and keep the diesel happy!), and the electric drive for the city cars. No gas engine needed! That'll also do wonders for Mercedes fleet efficiency rating.

Lebikerboy:It's already here, do you mean they are dropping it? So VW would be the only one available! Edit: Oh, I see what you mean, the C class won't get it. Doh! It is here in the car class already in the R350, surely that is under the same emissions group as the C class.

Edited by Alex

The CDi was the reason I sought out the 2006/7 Smart I am driving now. If there will not be another then I will have to reconsider the next purchase. Like the diesel engine and think it is a better model than electric.Will of course keep HalfByte as long as possible on the road.

It's a case of the car is not compliant as designed with the emissions regulations set forth by the EPA and Transport Canada, therefore, what can MB do about it? Spend $1,000,000+ to make another change in the design just to satisfy North American government? Not likely....We are SOL, and smart isn't the only car we've 'not gotten' over here.And so it goes. Yes, hold onto the cdis and take care of them! They are a rare bird in the days to come.

Edited by smartzuuk

I like the sound and putter of the Diesel, sure - but I never quite understood why there's such a "black and white" hate-on for the Gasser. Can someone help me understand? The new Mitsu engine is dead-simple, and I can't imagine that the FE gains in sticking to Diesel could ever outcost the lower maintenance of the gas engine... the 451's maintenance schedule alone is almost reason enough to want to switch. And the power, too... Did all you guys drive Diesels exclusively before?-Iain

Edited by Duck

Lebikerboy:It's already here, do you mean they are dropping it? So VW would be the only one available! Edit: Oh, I see what you mean, the C class won't get it. Doh! It is here in the car class already in the R350, surely that is under the same emissions group as the C class.

The engine I'm talking about is the 2.2 litre 4 cylinder Blue Efficiency which is unbelievable in terms of power and mileage.Why aren't we getting it you may ask? The Americans don't want it and that's the reason. As far as emissions go, it exceeds all North American specs...http://www.topgear.com/uk/mercedes-benz/c-...-blueefficiencyI'm considering an Audi A3 TDI as a viable alternative to the C class. Edited by lebikerboy

It's a case of the car is not compliant as designed with the emissions regulations set forth by the EPA and Transport Canada, therefore, what can MB do about it? Spend $1,000,000+ to make another change in the design just to satisfy North American government? Not likely....We are SOL, and smart isn't the only car we've 'not gotten' over here.And so it goes. Yes, hold onto the cdis and take care of them! They are a rare bird in the days to come.

Does that mean they might have some value in resale?I will be trying too sell my cdi this summer?

Compared to a 6.4 litre powerstroke diesel V8, how much exhaust emission can a 699cc or 1 litre CDI engine put out? There should be a lower limit on engine size where current emission limits would not apply.

Does that mean they might have some value in resale?I will be trying too sell my cdi this summer?

Well.... I think a well appointed car with history and lower kms will stop going down in price at this point. They are pretty low in general already for the typical car. Edited by smartzuuk

I wonder if any of the Mercedez Reps actually read this forum...and if they do...whats up.

Yes, they do, but you REALLY should know how to spell that Spanish female name by now! Enthusiasm is no reason to take a business decision that will not make money. Probably the smart 450 cdi coming to Canada was a fluke, and one that we should enjoy and cherish forever. I intend to.

The bottom line is North America has 'dirty' diesel compared to Europe. Ours is not as refined and because the relatively small number of cars sold it is not worthwhile for them to dump a bunch of money into enhancing the oil burner. Chet

Yes, they do, but you REALLY should know how to spell that Spanish female name by now! Enthusiasm is no reason to take a business decision that will not make money. Probably the smart 450 cdi coming to Canada was a fluke, and one that we should enjoy and cherish forever. I intend to.

Oh Man. And I did it twice. OK I fixed them both. I'm not looking back in the history of my other posts to fix the rest, mostly because I don't want to face the fact that I truly may be a MORON. Anyway. Thanks for the catch. :lol: J

While considering another smart, Star Motors Rep tells me that the gas version has improved tremondously and perhaps that before I do buy another diesel, consider trying the latest gas models. Also, the mileage I put on a vehicle is high and can the diesel really stand up to the high mileage. My previouse diesel cost me a lot in repairs. May 17/09 picked up a B class and just rolled 60,000km. Garry

Emissions from the cdi are immensely reduced when you burn biodiesel instead of (or blended with) dino-diesel. Fuel flexibility [hmm... is that "Flex-fuel?" Where can I get one of those badges?] is one of the major attractions - for me - of the diesel engine.

Of course, this is never a part of the published value of diesel engine cars like the smart. Why would it ever be, in a market and an infrastructure controlled by big oil?

Posted Image

The bottom line is North America has 'dirty' diesel compared to Europe.

No, no, no....... we have 15 ppm maximum now, our diesel is just fine. It's not a fuel issue.

OT

While considering another smart, Star Motors Rep tells me that the gas version has improved tremondously and perhaps that before I do buy another diesel, consider trying the latest gas models. Also, the mileage I put on a vehicle is high and can the diesel really stand up to the high mileage. My previouse diesel cost me a lot in repairs. May 17/09 picked up a B class and just rolled 60,000km.

Garry

Nice to hear from you Garry! Let us know what you think, if you test drive a new smart gasser.

regards,

Bil :sun:

No, no, no....... we have 15 ppm maximum now, our diesel is just fine. It's not a fuel issue.

Well, not exactly. Our diesel doesn't measure up to the European quality

in more than just ULSD. Their distillation (cracking) process yields 50%

diesel vs 20% as compared to ours. Plus the fact that the U.S. adds additional

taxes as compared to gasoline and the fact the diesels aren't cool in the states.

Why, because North American automakers don't know how to build an small

displacement diesel engine. Does anyone (read old enough) remember the fiasco when GM

tried to modify an existing V8? What a joke.

Edited by lebikerboy