Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tolsen

0.8 Cdi Map File

199 posts in this topic

I have acquired a 45 HP Cdi Map ORI file from a chip-tuning forum.My Cdi is from 2002 hence only 41 HP.Will a 45 HP Cdi Map file work on my 41 HP Cdi or are there some more subtle differences between these two Cdi engines?

Edited by tolsen
1 person likes this

The 45 hp map is from a 451 with a DPF? Because all the Canadian cdis (MY 2005-2006 -- though some built in early 2007) are 41 hp.

Thanks Sameguy.I shall try the 45 HP Map tomorrow morning. I suppose it can't do any more harm than some of those awful remap files that Smart owners pay out of their pocket to have installed.

It worked. More power, more kick, smoother and fantastic improvement in gear changes. Gear changes are now much quicker and gone is the occasional hesitation when negotiating roundabouts.

Posted Image

0.8 Cdi 45 HP Map installed. Same Map as for the new model Smart 451. Same performance without that ugly body shell.

Posted Image

WinStar Magus found no faults. Checked after completion of a 2 hour pleasant drive.

Why fork out your hard earned money to dodgy remapping merchants when you can do it yourself for free?

Edit:

These MAP files must be 450 files, not 451 files as the ECUs are different.

450 has Bosch EDG15C ECU and MAP files size 512 KB.

451 has Bosch EDC16C32 ECU and much larger MAP files size.

Edited by tolsen

Well done, TK :thumbup:

Why fork out your hard earned money to dodgy remapping merchants when you can do it yourself for free?

Yes, I discovered this about three years ago. Bought the map files and OBD/serial cable kit - I think it was about 50GBP, but I could be misremembering.But while the car was in-warranty, I really hesitated to do it myself for fear of botching something up that I couldn't - and MB wouldn't - fix. Especially not having an electronics or engineering background. D-I-Y is not for everyone. Would I do it now? Oh yes I would!I must hasten to say that the handful of remap resellers that I know of here are not dodgy. But watch for the discount offers and group sales, guys, like the one coming up in Toronto in June.We really appreciate you forging ahead with all these projects, TK!Bil :senile:P.S. my remapped 2005 450cdi, with highly modified intake and exhaust, is making estimated 65-70HP Edited by bilgladstone

How are your gear changes Bil? The quick and smooth gear changes are just amazing with the 451 Cdi Map. The increased power is only a bonus.

What are you guys using to upload? KWP2000???

Yes, KWP2000 with USB interface.

How are your gear changes Bil? The quick and smooth gear changes are just amazing with the 451 Cdi Map. The increased power is only a bonus.

I sent you an email... take a look ;)

is this program and cable expensive? to be able to load my own map?

No, it isn't. I got mine off Ebay for less than 40€ and they're constantly for sale as new so you shouldn't have a problem sourcing one for yourself no matter where you live. I ordered mine from a seller in Hong Kong and it arrived in a week.The program is pretty simple and has no frills, about the only thing that you can do wrong is to upload a map that isn't suitable for your ECU.Edit: http://cgi.ebay.ca/KWP2000-PLUS-ECU-Flashe...=item518eae54acThis is the seller I got mine from, all the prices are about the same give or take a few bucks... Note that I'm in no way affiliated with that seller, I only bought from that shop *once*. Edited by bheinola

So chances are the EU 451 cdi map is more fuel efficient than the 41 hp EU 450, and certainly more so than the Canadian 450s that are mapped to run on 40 CN diesel. Let us know how your fuel consumption numbers change, if at all.FWIW, I did a 170 Km run on back roads today with my 55 hp mapped 450, and averaged 3.6 L/100 Km on the way out and 3.2 on the way back. 209.5 Km on the first blob, even though the first 40 Km were all high-speed, 5.9 L/100 Km! I concur with Duck: I :heart: back roads at 83 Km/h! :D

No, it isn't. I got mine off Ebay for less than 40€ and they're constantly for sale as new so you shouldn't have a problem sourcing one for yourself no matter where you live. I ordered mine from a seller in Hong Kong and it arrived in a week.The program is pretty simple and has no frills, about the only thing that you can do wrong is to upload a map that isn't suitable for your ECU.Edit: http://cgi.ebay.ca/KWP2000-PLUS-ECU-Flashe...=item518eae54acThis is the seller I got mine from, all the prices are about the same give or take a few bucks... Note that I'm in no way affiliated with that seller, I only bought from that shop *once*.

Are there any maps that are known to work well with the 450 CDI? or does it vary between each vehicle even though theyre the same model?

Are there any maps that are known to work well with the 450 CDI? or does it vary between each vehicle even though theyre the same model?

While there might be some differences in the map in different regions due to fuel grades etc all the late stock maps should work equally well in all engines. Of the remapped files, no idea. As tolsen said, the 451 map works in a 450 so that might be the "best" stock map to be had. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and see what my experiences are. In general if you haven't made any modifications to the actual hardware all maps that work well in one car should work equally well in any other car.

While there might be some differences in the map in different regions due to fuel grades etc all the late stock maps should work equally well in all engines. Of the remapped files, no idea. As tolsen said, the 451 map works in a 450 so that might be the "best" stock map to be had. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and see what my experiences are. In general if you haven't made any modifications to the actual hardware all maps that work well in one car should work equally well in any other car.

We're all curious to see how you make out and whether your experience mirrors tolsen's :D Where are you getting the 451 CDI map? Was it simply "read" from a European 451 CDI?mz

Where are you getting the 451 CDI map?mz

I indicated the source in my first post and brother bheinola the Finn figured it out: chiptuners.org

I'm new to computers only owned one 10 yrs now,so if I bought the hardware from Hong Kong & the software from chiptuners.org then with my PC I'm good to go? Or would I need a laptop too.

We're all curious to see how you make out and whether your experience mirrors tolsen's :D

Well.. after the longest 10 minutes of my life I have to say that my try ended up failed. It seems that the old style CDI (older than 04) which is also incompatible with X-Gauge is not compatible with the 451 ECU map either :( After flashing the car I got the dreaded three bars on the gear display and nothing else... after flashing again with original map all is good again.So... even though the bosch number of the ECU is the same there are some differences that are not visible to the "casual observer". Good news is that even if you load a map that doesn't work it's recoverable without going to the dealer.

I'm new to computers only owned one 10 yrs now,so if I bought the hardware from Hong Kong & the software from chiptuners.org then with my PC I'm good to go? Or would I need a laptop too.

Yes you need a laptop or a cable that's long enough to reach your car from your computer... Edited by bheinola

Well.. after the longest 10 minutes of my life I have to say that my try ended up failed. It seems that the old style CDI (older than 04) which is also incompatible with X-Gauge is not compatible with the 451 ECU map either :( After flashing the car I got the dreaded three bars on the gear display and nothing else... after flashing again with original map all is good again.So... even though the bosch number of the ECU is the same there are some differences that are not visible to the "casual observer". Good news is that even if you load a map that doesn't work it's recoverable without going to the dealer.

....but isn't tolsen's a 2002 CDI? :huh:

After flashing the car I got the dreaded three bars on the gear display and nothing else... after flashing again with original map all is good again.

Ditto that. Mine did the exact same thing with this map.Has anyone found a map-editor that's useable? Edited by booneylander

Ditto that. Mine did the exact same thing with this map.

What year is your Smart?I find it strange that mine and tolsens ECUs have the exact same Bosch number but the map itself isn't interchangeable. My experience with Bosch this far has been that even minor differences in build or spec get a new Bosch number and that's that...

I'm confused... Why are you guys loading maps from other stock models? Wouldn't the only purpose be to load a remapped file for performance gains?