Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuum

And Then There Were Three....

46 posts in this topic

When Mike T suggested on December 18th, 2009 that I grab one of the canada1 cars from out east, little did he know what he was about to start.

If you are getting another diesel, why not look at one of the brand new heavily discounted 450 cdi all red BRABUS models? See the posting in Dealer Showroom for more. I have PMed him to ask for details. Sweet car, probably the ultimate 450. Would cost more than an old used one though!

I don't recall what my reply was, but I'm sure Mike will post that further on. Needless to say, the car-buying spirits were already at work on Mike himself, as evidenced a day later:

In case you are interested in my message of last night, one of the cars is all red and one is all white, with black wheels. I'll get pricing soon but I think it'll be a tad under $20 K each. Lot for a cdi, but a BRABUS cabriolet with like 500 km and all that custom work inside.....

That was all she wrote at the time. I remained unconvinced. :lol:

Fast forward to 2010

Still reminiscing about five years of smart ownership, Mike sent me this message on January 7th:

Supposedly the red 450 Canada 1 concept BRABUS car that is back east will be sold for $14K. It has a couple hundred km on it. Interested? The white one has been sold.

Cheers

Mike

That price turned out to be a for a 451 limited edition car, and I'm not sure if a deal fell thru on the white car or not... but you can see the car-buying spirits still at work on January 9th:

I only have a semi-OK cellphone photo of the white one.....

Photos attached. Need a road trip partner to drive it back? ;)

post-43-1268354121_thumb.jpg

post-43-1268354130_thumb.jpg

I think Mike and I chatted on the phone a couple times. I remember some discussion about Sandy T liking the red car, and Mike liking the white one... and as for me, I'd be stuck with the leftover. :P By January 12th, this had turned from my considering a budget priced cdi with Mike trying to convince me to 'be the one' to get one of the canada1 cars instead, to this:

So, I am going to buy one of the BRABUS cars in Toronto. Red or white, not sure which just yet. Both are convertibles. I have a deposit down.

Later that evening:

The red one is loaded with the exception of heated mirrors. If the white one has less equipment I might go red, but if it has the electric mirrors and everything else I will go for it.... if equipment is equal I may still go with the white one.Only three were made for Canada: two red and one white. The other red one is the car we saw at the 2006 PIAS. The rarest of the rare. If you want a diesel and a like-new, rare model, it's a no-brainer. Red: 835 km, white, 350 km. New.

And by the 13th at lunch hour, Mike was agreed to take the white car.BRABUS451 PM'd me through CsC next, and by 2 PM, I had spoken for the red one.

Ah the memories, yes it was a fun time! So we are still trying to get a handle on how many of these cars were made for Canada. I have written to BRABUS to find out if they will tell me. I didn't ask M-B Canada but maybe I should ask them too!Meanwhile, because these cars were built as regular smarts at Hambach, if you pull a data card on them, it will show that they were originally pulse models, mind you with very decent option packages. Keith's and my car were both green/black pulses with heated cloth seats.At dealers that have not seen a Canada 1 before (like Three Point Motors) this can create some confusion. Clearly the cars were stripped to the shell before being repainted, and all the stickers like the VIN in the front are freshly applied (in a slightly different position than they were put on at Hambach) and were not just picked off and re-stuck. Some dealers may wonder if there is such a thing as a BRABUS Canada 1, apparently unaware that it was an official offering at the time.Fortunately, I got from Mercedes-Benz Canada some documentation that explains to the uninitiated how BRABUS customs came to be: a letter of authenticity with the VIN on it, a purchase order from Mercedes-Benz Canada to BRABUS in Bottrop Germany with the two VINs of Keith's and my car on it, explaining the scope of the customization work, and more: photos of the customised car arriving in Halifax and when it first got to Toronto in mid-2006.

Edited by Mike T

And then there were three...

I'm not talking about the first Genesis album after Steve Hackett left the group.

My canada1 was not to make the journey quite the same way as Mike's. I opted for delivery to BC by train, and there was logistics involved. Technically, my fourth smart, third cdi and second convertible was on the way. My two previous cdi having been sold in 2007 and 2008, I would once again have a car capable of 100 mpg...

While FastEddy was busy promoting Barrett Jackson as the key to my grandchildren's future, enter the wild card from wild rose country! A 2005 pulse coupe with heated leather and crossblade wheels. Destined to be a trade in towards a Golf GTI, and sit unloved in Calgary, I made a split decision to buy it and either keep it, or find it a good home.

You can guess where the crossblade wheels are headed! :D

Edited by smartzuuk

We want PHOTOS!!

I hate resizing photos, but here is one to tide you over.post-43-1269740433_thumb.jpg

Edited by smartzuuk

I like the letters in the plate.. WEG (Wicked, Evil Grin) Was that on purpose?

VERY nice!

Too bad Mike and I couldn't have got sequential WEG plates... I would be more interested in finding some sequential 'normal' plates, than buying 'vanity' plates....Mike?We could check some brokers next Saturday, see what they have.......I uh, rolled over 1000 kms today.... have picsInteresting, my friend Dave spotted a piece of 'side window' glass on the passenger side, a couple bits actually... All the (unbroken) glass has smart labels on, so who knows if perhaps a window was replaced, or? Ipod base works, so I'll have to get an Ipod now, and a subwoofer I guess. Will also be getting the Brabus suspension shortly. Undecided on the black wheels - may or may not work some trade with fasteddy. BUt anyway, they are off and the crossblades are going on. It will be a very wicked evil grin after that!Only issues thus far:Rattling Brabus ebrakeA/C needs recharge (and possibly one new part)new seals for the soft top (same as Mike had done)Windshield seal (interior side) looks 'rippled' - can't quite explain it, will have to take a picAnd Mike of course one-upped me by getting heated power mirrors

Edited by smartzuuk

Too late, I already ordered my personalised plates 5 weeks ago: CDN 1, CDN ONE or CDN 1 W....not sure which I may get, but I hope it's one of the first two.The "rippled" looking window seal is just a bit of the hand labour done at BRABUS in Bottrop after the shell was repainted and the windshield re-glued in place. It's not a nice smooth bead of urethane like the factory machines make. Mine is a bit like this too though I would not say it's incredibly rippled.If you think of unloading the black alloys, think of me first....you could always buy a set back from me eventually if I still had two. Selling them on would eliminate the possibility of buying them back someday for "originality"... then again, Eddy may pay better money than I would! Or you could get a set of silver ones hand paint or powder coat them black....TPM found a loose brake line that had escaped its holder under my car and was rubbing on the fuel tank, but that was not the cause of the rattle. I think the rattle is from the connectors for the side airbags and seat heaters under the passenger seat (to be determined). Try moving the passenger seat forward when you hear that rattle next.Get an ipod video from about 2006 - it will fit in the holder perfectly and has a large enough screen to see song titles when driving.You should bring it over to TPM soon for the roof and A/C repair. I already told them that you might be coming in another Canada 1.Oh yeah, don't forget to get the letter of certification from Mercedes - important for insurance and collectability!

These twin cars had a little reunion on April 3rd in Vancouver. Here is a family portrait:

post-5-1270418096_thumb.jpg

Those wheels on Keith's car... OMG! JEALOUS!!!

Edited by bilgladstone

They look pretty nice, except, the rears are so stretched they stand about 2 cm shorter... all I'm saying is GAPGap to be remedied

... the rears are so stretched...

So what size tires are they? And what width are the rims? I'm pondering 175s on 5.5 or 6" rims.

If I got one of these cars I think I'd bastardize it and lose the "collectibility" by getting Euro fenders and rear quarters and Euro pulse tail lights. The photon tubes and slices are such blemishes on otherwise lust-worthy cars.

That is always an option, and provided the original fenders are retained then the car can be restored to original condition whenever in the future. I may do this eventually.......... but it's not a priority! The cost would be high, what with the price of new fenders and painting. I am still attempting to get the paint code for my car from M-B and BRABUS.

Unfortunately the intensive red of Keith's car and the white of my car do not figure on that list. BRABUS knows what the codes were so we have to get them from that source.

Yeah, and you'd need the front and rear centre panels, and probably the tailgate sprayed as well. Basically a complete paint job.

One thing I have noticed about the 2006 model car is that the carpeting is a lot nicer than the plastic Brillo pad that passes as carpeting in the 2005 model. It feels better on the feet and is easier to vacuum too!

Hey, do the Canada1 cars have Brabus valve cover plates?

Bil, is there a part number for that in EPC?

:dunno: I don't have the EPC.