Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
curmudgeon

Door Latch Snafu And A Few Other Bits

5 posts in this topic

Greetings! I just spent an hour trying to get my driver's side door to close - it won't latch. I called MB Oakville - they're going to order a replacement part for tomorrow morning, and I'm going to spend the evening trying to get it shut so I can drive down to the dealership (about an hour away). Anyone have any tips/tricks to getting it shut? Or should I just get out some bungee cord and take the backroads? While I'm typing,...the dealer is storing my summer tires for me - I'm wondering about making the switch while I'm there tomorrow - has anyone else put their summer rubber on yet? I'm thinking these 15 degree sunny days are not the best thing for my winter tires anyway - but is March 17th pushing my luck a bit? And finally - I had the front flap off this morning to top up the washer fluid and I noticed that my coolant is REALLY dark - almost looks like used motor oil. The level is fine, but should it be that dark? Sorry if that's a dumb question,...I'm a mechanical moron. I can't swing a wrench to save my life - but I can paint you a pretty picture of one!Thanks in advance for any thoughts.Its a 2008 451 passion coupe with around 27000kms.

Greetings! I just spent an hour trying to get my driver's side door to close - it won't latch. I called MB Oakville - they're going to order a replacement part for tomorrow morning, and I'm going to spend the evening trying to get it shut so I can drive down to the dealership (about an hour away). Anyone have any tips/tricks to getting it shut? Or should I just get out some bungee cord and take the backroads? While I'm typing,...the dealer is storing my summer tires for me - I'm wondering about making the switch while I'm there tomorrow - has anyone else put their summer rubber on yet? I'm thinking these 15 degree sunny days are not the best thing for my winter tires anyway - but is March 17th pushing my luck a bit? And finally - I had the front flap off this morning to top up the washer fluid and I noticed that my coolant is REALLY dark - almost looks like used motor oil. The level is fine, but should it be that dark? Sorry if that's a dumb question,...I'm a mechanical moron. I can't swing a wrench to save my life - but I can paint you a pretty picture of one!Thanks in advance for any thoughts.Its a 2008 451 passion coupe with around 27000kms.

Hope this helps and the short cut workshttp://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopi...p;hl=door+latchTed

Thanks for the link - that sounds like good stuff, but I think my problem might be electronic, not mechanical - the latch seems to operate freely - it just won't engage.(?) I've been trying every form of closing/slamming/pulling/pushing/clicking I can think of and it seems like it's not going to close. The service guy from MB said it sounds like a bad part - they've ordered me a new latch - from the speed of his response I'm guessing this is a known problem. I've been trying to use the forum search tools to see what others have done - but I just keep getting the same long list of completely unrelated posts,...not the most impressive aspect of the forum software. Its getting dark here now - guess I'll have to try again in the morning - I keep setting off the alarm fiddling with the latch and I'm pretty sure the neighbours have had enough. I suppose I can pull the car up close to the house and climb out of the passenger door for tonight. fun.

Thanks for the link - that sounds like good stuff, but I think my problem might be electronic, not mechanical - the latch seems to operate freely - it just won't engage.(?) I've been trying every form of closing/slamming/pulling/pushing/clicking I can think of and it seems like it's not going to close. The service guy from MB said it sounds like a bad part - they've ordered me a new latch - from the speed of his response I'm guessing this is a known problem. I've been trying to use the forum search tools to see what others have done - but I just keep getting the same long list of completely unrelated posts,...not the most impressive aspect of the forum software. Its getting dark here now - guess I'll have to try again in the morning - I keep setting off the alarm fiddling with the latch and I'm pretty sure the neighbours have had enough. I suppose I can pull the car up close to the house and climb out of the passenger door for tonight. fun.

Has the striker plate loosened and not lining up to latch when the door closes? Slamming will only damage the mechanism. I'd put money on a simple adjustment.

Just got back from MB Oakville - the latch was replaced under warranty. They polished the car inside and out and had it back to me in no time.All is well.