Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

Dateline Bc: New 5% Tax On Private Auto Sales

21 posts in this topic

With one stroke of Finance Minister Colin Hansen's pen, the price of buying a used car in a private sale went up by five per cent -- that's an extra $1,000 on a $20,000 vehicle -- as part of the government's Harmonized Sales Tax gouge.It means there are no savings to be had buying or selling your car privately instead of through a car dealer.And the government will take $296 million in new taxes from those buying used cars privately over the next two years -- if buyers even bother to do so.But it doesn't stop there...

SOURCEB :sun:

Yes and the scoundrels will be re-elected in three years because everyone has a 3 month flash memory for politics.Bicycles and bike parts are also going up 5%.

... as will my rent! :mad: And will my income go up 5%? Not bl00dy likely.

Swines.I got published in three papers already regarding this crap. Little did I know there was a heap more of it where that came from!!!

Because we all know mom 'n pop who own a convenience store in small town BC need a $55,000 vehicle to support their business (i dun think they would even spend $30k on a vehicle, let alone $55k). :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it's reposted everydayAnd it's on my siteAnd my strata's siteAnd I'm making a new site for more of these kinds of issuesSick of these crooked swines

For now, with more to followI keep reposting the craigslist ad, and would appreciate any help with thisPost in the interior if you can, or on the islandThe more that post it, the more the word will get out directly to those affectedAnd the more e-mail traffic and complaints and anger that will go towards the MLAsI've had favourable response from a couple NDP folk

And BTW, when you read Mr Hansen's bulls**t in the tyee article, keep in mind that his party is on the payroll of the new car dealers. He misleads by saying it's curbers, and yet, I have more than once sent info to the sales tax people when I find 30 different cars for sale by a 'private owner', and I get ZERO frikkin response. Nothing.So F**ko** Hansen, and get your hands out of my pocket.Maybe I should dump a junker at his office? ;)Calculate that Colin!!(PS - I sent him the link to this.)

Edited by smartzuuk

Because we all know mom 'n pop who own a convenience store in small town BC need a $55,000 vehicle to support their business (i dun think they would even spend $30k on a vehicle, let alone $55k). :rolleyes:

No no, that's just it, they have eliminated entirely the luxury tax for vehicle over $55,000Even the only Liberal MLA worthy of respect on some level, Randy Hawes, was confused about what had happened. In one of his replies, he mentioned:

Just so you know: the "luxury tax" applied to the trucks that many in rural BC use every day. A 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton pickup would typically cost more than the ceiling at which the "luxury tax" kicks in. That is why the cieling is being raised.

No, no!!! $55,000 was an acceptable ceiling, IMO. That was a reasonable point to start applying the luxury tax.They are doing away with ceiling all together! Read page 101 and 102 of the budget:http://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2010/bfp/201...Fiscal_Plan.pdf

Elimination of Certain Taxes and LeviesDue to the implementation of the HST and theelimination of the provincial sales tax, the followinglevies and taxes are eliminated effective July 1, 2010:• The surtax on motor vehicles over $55,000.

I could have never voted NDP even 9 months ago.Sign me up. Edited by smartzuuk

For as long as it lasts:http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/1663423780.html

Great info..thanks for posting it. I hope it makes a lot of you give your head a shake and start speaking out against these 'politicians gone tax nuts'. They DO NOT own the government, they are hired/voted in by us.......not by lobbyists. Not that it helps any but I wrote the gruesome twosome Campbell/Hansen and told them that all tax junkie politicians are doing by increasing taxes is creating an even bigger black market/underground economy and making enemies, maybe even criminals out of otherwise honest, hardworking citizens. I wonder how many more folks will just adjust the bill of sale by 12% or more now?........ dumbasses. Cut your own perks/expenses you tax crazed, moneywasters....you do not get nor deserve respect when you look after your own ass nicely while kicking ours.

in response to:http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/1663401519.html

Anyone care to write Hansen and ask what they are going to do when someone buys a vehicle from the US? That would be subject to GST right away (new or private)... and so will it only get taxed at 7%, or will they still rip you off for 12%?Enquiring minds would like to know!Feel free to register an account Mr Hansen (or staffer) and reply here directly.Thanks.

When you register the US car they ding you for the PST - so I imaging they will be collecting the HST right at the point of entry like they do for the GST. Heck some provinces at one time didn't even charge tax on used items - as it would be considered double taxation (the sales tax on the value of the item was collected when sold new....)Maybe we need to get a recall effort going - not sure if the normal BC'er can survive these clowns until the end of the mandate - they have all but hung a closed sign on the City of Victoria. Then again - in their minds - force everyone out of work - get their developer buddies to buy the foreclosures at $.10 on the dollar - re-develop and sell it off at a big time profit to the high fliers from Toronto and Ottawa as " the perfect affordable retirement community..." - works great for the economy (of their buddies). I expect a bunch of them to get appointed to BoD for some of the major firms once they get the boot - they are right now trying to change the conflict of interest rules to allow them to step out of office and into big priced consultant jobs without a waiting period.Cheers,Cameron

There is no HST on used vehicles, and the new 12% tax on a used vehicle (private transaction) is also not HST, but rather a vehicle transfer tax. (Not sure exact name)You will get hit with GST at the border... it's now a question of 7% vehicle transfer tax, or 12%?Can you post a link to this consultant bit?

Edited by smartzuuk

Loosening of Conflict of Interest regs

At ya'

So basically a board (appointed by the politicians) will decide if they can take on a job/consulting gig immediately on departure from office - instead of having to wait 2 years. Plus if they have served something like 1 1/2 terms (6 years) they would be eligible for a MLA pension upon departure if they are over 55. Where do I sign up!

Should issue them a parrot, eye patch and peg leg or hand hook too!

LOL - it is funny how these jokers are actually causing people from different ends of the political spectrum to acutally agree on things - they are that terrible!

They will probably ding you for the 12% as soon as you go to register it at ICBC - after you paid the feds the GST.

Cheers,

Cameron

According to the The Vancouver Sun's editorial in today's edition (with my emphasis in bold):

The Liberal government is now promising to turn the corner by returning to the GST and PST regime, as much as possible exactly as it was before the HST was brought in. It is promising to bring back all of the permanent exemptions that were previously in place, with some changes, described as minor, to update the legislation. The major exception is the related special tax on used vehicles, boats and planes, which Finance Minister Kevin Falcon now says is a separate issue, even though it was brought in as part of the conversion to the HST. If he wants to maintain that claim, he will need to provide a new justification for the measure.

Source

Falcon is a partisan moron, a real dipstick. This is one more piece of evidence.....

Article in The Vancouver Sun: Private car sales shouldn’t be subject to tax

The B.C. government should abolish its transfer tax on private vehicle sales; this is entirely within provincial jurisdiction and could be done quickly.

The hit to revenue would be an estimated $170 million per year — less than 1/10th the cost of the promised rate cut for the now moribund HST.

For the B.C. government this change would be both good tax policy and a much-needed gesture to restore goodwill with the taxpaying public.

Lawsuit in the works I am sure... Falcon can just get lost. Still glad I paid $10 to keep him from being Premier.... My vote counted for something that time. Christy is at least not a dough head like the old boys club.Down with the BC Liberals.