Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PrairieBoy

The Awesome New 2011 Awd Suzuki Kizashi

86 posts in this topic

I just read on another web site,that the Suzuki Kizashi uses an 'i-drive' AWD system ,largely shared with the Suzuki SX4.It can be switched off and driven in FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE if the driver chooses.So, to the person talking about needing only Front-Wheel Drive, this is the car for you too.Because you can turn off the AWD ,and just use it as a Front Wheel Drive car!The best of both worlds.

Again, somebody needs to actually drive this thing and see if the AWD works or not. Maybe one more snowy day in Saskatchewan... :D

I've driven an SX4 in wintry conditions and it absolutely works. I couldn't find a difference, under the conditions of my drive, between AWD-Auto and AWD-Lock. I would surmise that Lock is advisable in loose, slippery conditions, where Auto should be better in mixed conditions or on hard-pack.

If the default torque split in "AWD" is less even than 35-65% R/F or F/R, it could be a handful, driven quickly on ice or snow. Surely someone knows what it is.....cars like the VW Synchro system and Honda CRV are 100-0% default split, which is godawful.

In 2WD it is 100% front and 0% rear. In AWD-Auto it works like most AWD systems, with almost all torque going to the front (95/5) on dry pavement, while sending as much to the rear as necessary when conditions get worse, topping out at no more than 50% to the rear. In AWD-Lock mode, it works the same way, but the rear never gets less than 35% of the torque (still topping out at 50%).As I said, I know it works. But I just don't see it as a "killer app" in a smallish family sedan. If I needed a vehicle for those conditions -- in other words, living full time in the boonies on mucky or rarely-plowed roads -- I'd be looking at something with more ground clearance, more heft and more capacity. For the occasional snowfall in the city? A waste of money, cabin space and fuel.

Aha!

OK that settles it - for getting at slow speed in the snow to a destination it is OK.... maybe even good, but as a high-performance, well balanced system, it is rubbish, like most "AWD" cars.

If anyone tests one of these in winter, take it to an icy road. Stop. Then floor it from rest. You will experience the hideous effects of an indecisive viscous coupling that iterates torque back and forth through the front and rear axles ad nauseum in decreasing amplitude swings, to the detriment of both acceleration and vehicle stability. The car will crab all over the road and you will be correcting its trajectory all the time.

Doing this test is safer than driving through an unexpected icy patch mid-corner and having the car thoroughly unbalanced by the 100-0% viscous coupling making large "adjustments". I have experienced this in more than one AWD vehicle and it is NOT FUN!

No viscous coupling. It's an electro-magnetic centre diff that is guided by the car's ESC.

With the Leaf testing in Vancouver you'd think Nissan would have a large presence.

I wonder if the EM diff is any better at things than a VC. Still, the fundamental chassis imbalance remains because of the default split.

This is a very popular thread. No Suzuki thread I ever started went 3 pages! The part time 4wd system was great... not so sure about these electronic hanky panky ESP systems......

Edited by smartzuuk

My favourite Suzuki:

Posted Image

Suzuki Wagon R

Fell in love with 'em in Europe '08.

-Iain

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2009...walkaround.html

"The rear differential of the AWD SX4 hangs beneath the unibody, mounted separatly from the suspension. In fact the twist beam itself (white) has a gentle arc that's shaped to keep it above and out of the way of the diff.

The diff itself is mounted in 4 places (yellow). The rear mount is broad so that it can more easily deal with the torque reaction that comes when power is applied from the propshaft (aka driveshaft).

The forward part of the housing contains the coupling that distributes power to the rear wheels in i-AWD or AWD-lock mode, and various wires (black) run inside to control the mechanism.

Of course this means that the propshaft that runs down the center of the car from the engine turns all of the time, even when the selector switch is in 2WD (front-wheel drive) mode."

Edited by booneylander

So much for good FE when "AWD" is disengaged! Mind you, packing around all that extra drivetrain weight (notwithstanding its "lightweight" construction) isn't going to help FE either. I guess buyers of this car won't be expecting really good FE figures anyway.

So much for good FE when "AWD" is disengaged! Mind you, packing around all that extra drivetrain weight (notwithstanding its "lightweight" construction) isn't going to help FE either. I guess buyers of this car won't be expecting really good FE figures anyway.

It still gets better fuel economy (with more horsepower) than the Subaru....

Yes, Subarus are terrible, my sister has a Legacy that does about 15 L/100 in suburban driving, manual transmission too! she hates the car.

Yes, all the other (larger) cars in the category, with their woefully-under-powered four cylinder engines, get better fuel economy. Admittedly, they are all close, but the smallest car in the bunch should do better.

My friend with a 2.5 base manual tranny Impreza can get 7.0 to 7.2 normally

Edited by smartzuuk

Suzuki Canada rates the Kizashi at: 30 MPG/city; 42 MPG highway(Or) 9.3/city; 6.8/ highway.

Wow, I was just reading (@Automotive News) the stats for US sales and Suzuki's have collapsed in the USA. Year to date, they are 57% behind last year's pace (which was already not so hot). smart is not so great down there right now either.

Hopefully the Kizashi sales will help Suzuki in the U.S.A. I believe Suzuki sales in Canada are very good. There are ton's of Suzuki SX4's here in Saskatoon,and LOTs of Grand Vitara suv's.