Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Peanut

Extended Warranty

54 posts in this topic

Hi all - I am seeking input regarding whether or not to add the 3 year extended warranty before the original warranty runs out.The Peanut is a 2006 Passion Coupe that was purchased new by me. I only drive it about 8000 kms per year and have had only one problem with the car in the 3 1/2 years that I have had it (EGR valve that was replaced under warranty at 12137 kms). My factory warranty will expire this fall and it will cost $1600 to extend the bumper to bumper warranty for another 3 years.Given some of the major problems some people seem to have had with the diesel engine (blown turbos, etc) I am inclined to add the extension for peace of mind for the next three years.Your thoughts. Thanks.

The extended warranty is a profit center for Mercedes. On average the repairs needed (and covered! some items are covered under the factory warranty but excluded under the extended) costs Mercedes less than $1600. So you must ask yourself "am I average?". ;) Peace of mind is pretty nice. On average, no, not worth it, but I fully understand how you may be able to justify it. At your mileage the most likely trouble you'll have is a repeat of the EGR problem, which can be easily cleaned in place by any reasonably competent tinkerer. No special tools or experience needed.Without regular trips long and hard enough to fully warm the engine and exhaust the EGR can't help but plug up. Fuel conditioner helps, or take up hiking and go up Mount Seymour regularly. (My Rx.) Keeps both me and my car healthy, 105K km with no trouble.

From the many members who have posted their expensive smart car problems,to a Mercedes Benz mechanic who was overheard to say something 'less than complimentary',regarding smart cars, i would say buy all the waranty you can!When i had inquired at a Mercedes-Benz dealership as to why a particular smart car was getting it's engine replaced after only about 70,000 kilo's,and "What did the owner do to it?", the said mechanic replied: "He drove it!".I would buy the extra warranty too.I usually traded my smart car(s) in on a new one every year or so.The only smart car i really had problems with was the 2008 smart,which was in the dealer's shop for over 9 DAYS OUT OF THE FIRST MONTH I OWNED IT.!!!!Boy was i ever pissed off!!

That mechanic is an idiot, I am sorry to say.Alex is correct. You are buying psychological solace and rarely anything else. There are exceptions, but the "house" always wins, overall.

Seeing as we are on the subject of extended warranty on smart cars in particular,and some members HAVE had bad experiences with smart cars reliability,i'm curios;..."How many Mercedes-Benz SERVICE STAFF actually own a smart car?" This might really shed light on what they REALLY think about smart cars!

Seeing as we are on the subject of extended warranty on smart cars in particular,and some members HAVE had bad experiences with smart cars reliability,i'm curios;..."How many Mercedes-Benz SERVICE STAFF actually own a smart car?" This might really shed light on what they REALLY think about smart cars!

Of all the MB dealerships across Canada, I would wager that there are no more than three or four!Just a wild guess...B :senile:

Well, we got it a while back, It was lots of money, but I was a little concered how "perticular" and quirky these cars are, And wanted to cover my butt just in case the turbo or something like that went.But, so far the rear glass de-fog lines are NOT covered and the lifting pistons are NOT covered, so I'm not really impressed with the extended warranty so far.But if something big does go, sure you will wish you had it.It's Murphy's law though, buy it and nothing will go wrong ;) Would I but it again?.............NO

I know one of the techs at victoria star has one.

Peanut......That's a tough one. Normally I'd be against these things like the plague. As Mike_T and others say, they tend to be a profit center for the dealer. That said, there has been a fair amount of trouble with these cars, and they are not cheap to fix. I'd consider it for a smart. $530/year is cheap for an extended warranty. The only thing is you are not putting a lot of km on it, so that might weigh in favour of not doing it. Tough call, but I'd probably get it. Dang

Hi all - I am seeking input regarding whether or not to add the 3 year extended warranty before the original warranty runs out.

3 years, I thought it was only for another 2 years or 40000km?

3 years, I thought it was only for another 2 years or 40000km?

I have not seen the warranty document but the salesman I spoke with described it as "bumper to bumper coverage" for "another 3 years" (no mention of mileage) for $1600. My consideration is based on 3 years of extra coverage,

If it is the smart official warranty extension, it is two years or 40K km. I have this one on my new old smart, so that is how I know.

... the salesman I spoke with described it as "bumper to bumper coverage" for "another 3 years" ...

Verbal assurances from sales staff are not worth the paper they are printed on! Tell them you want a copy of the contract to take home and read thoroughly and completely in your own time.Bil :sun:

I was sure liking my extended warranty on Thursday when my EGR finally gave up the ghost (94000km) - almost at the break even point with the smart tow and all. ;):lol: Cheers,Cameron

Jennifer T says she saw you (didn't know who you were unitil I told her that evening) at the side of the Malahat a week ago, and looked at the green smart she was in as she rolled towards town....

Don't remember seeing her - but I was a little pre-occupied - had a lady in a VW TDI stop to see if we were okay - the diesel crowd LOL.Cheers,Cameron

The key here though, is your car has what, just 32,000 kms right.... you drive 8,000 kms per year.I can't see paying $1600 for an extra 24,000 kms of warranty.56,000 kms... 'maybe' your EGR will go again because your car sits too much and has short cold trips... big maybe you lose an actuator - probably not though.Those two items would make $1600 a roughly break even ordealThe house wins in the end. If you were in Edmonton and wanting to cover another 40,000 kms on a car with 80,000 on it already, I would answer differently, because those odds are more in your favour you'll break even or better.

I've had a steering wheel c/w shifters, a turbo, one rear axle bearing and a battery replaced under extended warranty, @ about 70K now.Last service showed weak A/C, so all new A/C lines have been approved and will be installed @ n/c as soon as the dealer gets them.I'm 9 months into my extended warranty and very glad I got it. :D Planning a long trip west this summer or fall. Probably spend all money saved from extended warranty at Flying Tiger (wheels, tires, other mods, etc.). :PWeee! My 400th post!! Not many by other standards, but I'll use any excuse to celebrate! :ballons:

Edited by smartnhappy

Beginners Huh! When you come out west be sure to let us know in advance so we can have a welcome g2g.

I will let you know. And I'll bring my extended warranty with me. By then, I should have a completely new, rebuilt car. :P

400 posts is nothing. I surpassed that just this morning. Piece o' cake.

And now back to "Extended Warranty discussion" (don't want to hijack thread re my astounding posting prowess).

Well, the car just came back from it's pre-extended warranty check. While they were at it, they also re-filled our AC and replaced the intercooler, and associated parts (we noticed drips starting a few days back). Considering the many, many parts we had replaced under the original warranty, it was a pretty easy decision to go with the extended warranty in the end. Car is currently at 63700km.

Edited by garthD

We just bought a 2006 Passion from original owner. Done 43k km with 11months left on original warranty. We looked at extended warranty and it was going to cost $1590 for 2 years. Was tempted. But then dealer said we had to pay for them to do thorough check of car ($90.00 plus any work). Then we had to pat $250 to transfer warranty from original owner to me. And probably HST on top of all that. So about $2200. Car will probably not be at 60k km by end of the extended warranty (summer use only)We opted not to buy it, but after reading some of the woes, I am having second thoughts. Maybe I should not have bought it at all?Maybe we can retrofit an electric drive if engine blows :)

It is not just engine work, balljoints seem to go often, front wheel bearings, intercoolers, all things covered that I see quite a bit at work. I probably only takes one claim to pay off the expense of buying it. The key is to know when things need replacing that are covered, a lot of stuff gets by unoticed...Greg