Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Peanut

Extended Warranty

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well, the car just came back from it's pre-extended warranty check. While they were at it, they also re-filled our AC and replaced the intercooler, and associated parts (we noticed drips starting a few days back). Considering the many, many parts we had replaced under the original warranty, it was a pretty easy decision to go with the extended warranty in the end. Car is currently at 63700km.

Been a while, but I'm pleased to say that our smart is still going strong at 93000km. We have just come out of our extended warranty and I thought I'd give a little report on our experiences. During this period we had the car in for warranty work three times, during the first month of coverage, the middle of the period, and the last month of coverage. The first warranty fix was a replaced injector (about $1000 w/labour). Next, we had a bunch of suspension work (springs, shocks, tie ends, etc) covered (approx $2000 w/labour). Finally, two weeks ago, we had a fuel line and a bunch of seals replaced (approx $300). For the final repair we had an extended wait for parts as they had to order from Germany. This was the first smart repair we ever had (and we've had quite a few) that took over 2 days and, to our surprise, the dealer gave us a B Class to use for 8 days. Overall, I have to commend Victoria Star for their service during this period.I've never been a fan of extended warranties in the past, but I am glad I went against my instincts and got one in this case as it obviously worked in our favour. With a different car, I probably wouldn't have got one (or likely won't in future) but we had numerous repairs during our regular warranty and I had a hunch that this would continue after warranty. Still happy with the smart (and my Kymco People S 125 scooter) for the short term but we are eyeing the Fiat 500, Prius C and few others in the mid term. Certainly not before the end of summer (as I love driving the smart then) and quite possibly not for longer than that too.cheers,garth Edited by garthD

I am glad it paid off for you! My own experiences would have swung the other way (out of warranty repairs before 160K km = $700) but when it works out for someone, that's excellent. You car is 140,000 km behind my 2005, so there should be lots of life left in yours.

I have an extended warranty good to 120,000km or May 18th, 2014 (whichever comes first). I have 102,000km.I don't think a new battery is covered. I know I paid for a new one at TPM 4 1/2 years ago.My question, If I replace my Battery at any other place BUT TPM, will I be voiding my extended warranty?

No, unless you connect it incorrectly (backwards polarity) and burn out the SAM.