1 - Happy Valley Goose Bay NL

1 - Mount Pearl NL

1 - North Valley NL

1 - Laurenceton NL

1 - Sandringham NL

1 - Springdale NL

1 - Upper Island Cove NL

1 - Newfoundland/Labrador (no town)

I re-checked about 100 of the "not in national vehicle database" cars last night and about 65 of them are in there now!So what once was 388 of the 10,239 cars that were "missing", well that is likely to end up at under 200. Most of those will be in Manitoba (which does not contribute to the National Vehicle Database). Most of these 388 cars I am finding are Salvage/Rebuild or scrapped.

Hello Mike T.My Smart Pulse cdi stays for now on in STONY PLAIN Alberta. I bought on the 20.10.2012 in Edmonton. CARFAX says: registered in Ontario 05/17/2005 / on the 03/27/2009 marked as dealer inventory.Next CARFAX entry jumps to the 02/13/2012: Whitecap MOTORS, Slave Lake, Alberta with 48,842 km on it, offered for sale. Last entry: Oil and Filter changed at 50,046 km at Whitecap MOTORS on the 02/22/2012VIN: 176047Your list should show: STONY PLAIN, Alberta not Ston-E-y Plain, Alberta (without the e) Thanks, Holger

What? There's no Umlaut over the N? I got the spelling from the National Vehicle Database!Just kidding, thanks for the correction! I had it registered in Ontario too, last renewal was 2008.

Mine is 233955....one of the 30 odd so in Barrie. Someone 20 houses or so down has a Smart too...don't know if it's CDI. Maybe I'll pass by and inquire.

Edited by SoulSurgeon

post-14844-0-10063300-1420183583_thumb.jpgThis one you can pull out of Toronto and add it to Victoria unless we are on the road.

WMEAK00F25J174383

The owner was an Architect I think who did not maintain it properly. He did put in a fancy radio.

Things that have been upgraded or replaced are:

• AC unit
  • High pressure fuel pump
  • All 4 tires
  • Muffler
  • Side clearance lights
  • Starter
  • Alternator
  • Timing chain/oil pump assembly
  • Headlight bulbs
  • Battery, plus I added a battery disconnect switch for when car is in long term storage.
  • Mud flap

Some was done as a pre-emptive strike to eliminate catastrophic failures before 100k. With there being few US locations to service Gen 1's, best take care of things before they become a problem.

Roger

Thanks Roger. Was the oil pump drive repair necessary or just preventative?

Preventative, Greg @ 3 Point made reference to issues with the Gen1's. Catastrophic failures before 100k-kms That was one, high pressure fuel pump was another. Still expensive to repair but cheaper than scrapping it if engine seizes. Tried a 2009 last summer, paddle shift. Not a fan, paddle shift rotates around with the steering wheel. There wasn't any noticeable performance going up the Malahat. Mine has fewer hp but 6 gears. Wound up downshifting to 4 or 5. New one has 5 gears more hp and wound up shifting to 3 or 4.

Rogerpost-14844-0-95156000-1420186754.jpg

Interesting. Our first diesel ran to 250K km before being rear ended to oblivion and every time I was at TPM I asked Greg about a prophylactic chain/sprocket change but he advised me against it. Maybe because our car got proper service (mostly at home). I think some of the chain/sprocket failures are more related to valve lifter failures or sticking lifters that create havoc throughout the rest of that system.

The pulse cdi and some passions had paddle shifters and I love that feature. I also like the Fast Eddy remap, which removes the speed limiter and makes the acceleration so much better. I can rip up the Malahat north of Goldstream at 110 if I want. Fuel consumption is not affected unless you have a heavy foot all the time.

post-14844-0-46599600-1420224133.jpgWell, like you said, if proper service was done maybe in my case it may not have been required, but proper service was not done by the previous owner. It wasGreg who recommended the repair. I don't want to be in the USA with a problem that can't be fixed down there, which he said is replace the engine. Locals are fortunate to have 3 Point in the area.

If the paddle shifter stayed in the same position, I wouldn't mind it, but I have become used to pushing the shifter forward or pulling back to up or down shift. It is what we get used to. The car was my only choice, nothing else is short enough to carry and I can't triple tow. It is a means of getting around when I get to the destination. Other than that it is quite happy to piggyback and the truck doesn't care.

I asked Greg re the computer upgrade, he won't have anything to do with it. He also said that if the car had to have some computer work done on it the programming would be lost.

I don't mess with mechanical items, with the truck, trailer and car there is more there than I can handle. My main focus is to keep a 65' long and 42000lb monster safe on the road and everything working.

Mine doesn't have a tach or clock so I am not sure of what speed is what rpm. I am conservative in how I drive.

Having said that, clearly there is a lot of knowledge here so there is a lot of reading to do.

Roger[

Edited by Knighthauler

The engine remap lives in the engine computer, not the SAM. So it's not possible to erase it inadvertently. My car's SAM failed and all I lost was the cruise control, which TPM managed to re-activate, to my surprise. One of our members had 310,000 km on his remapped cdi out at Cultus Lake, but it too was rear ended before the engine had lived a full life. Sadly, a lot of these cars end up that way.

If Greg's team did not add an external fuel pump relay during this work, I strongly advise you to have this done ASAP. It is a cheap upgrade and prevents an almost certain SAM burnout in higher km vehicles, which is a $1500 problem. That is what happened to our present smart when the SAM failed. It has happened to hundreds of Canadian cars. That is why there is a service bulletin about it.

Thanks, I send of an RFI re that. By the way re the timing chain etc, Al the Mechanic ordered in what he felt was needed for the service but when they got into it discovered a pulley or gear that was worn or loose. That took another 2 days from Vancouver, everything else had to be ordered from Germany.

Not sure if I will bother with CC, its about another 1k. I'm mostly in 4 or 5, rarely 6th. If I need 6th I'm on the freeway with the truck getting 10 mpg US and the car rides on the back.

Like I said earlier, thee is a lot of knowledge here.

How much more can be pulled out of these engines without overstressing them?

Mike,

FYI,

Hi Roger,

Not as far as I can see. I did an inter-dealership search - and no positives. There are some indications that this might have been discussed in Alberta. Not done here or Vancouver.

The issue is if you run your fuel tank very low regularly ( or empty), you can cause the fuel pump to heat up slightly. Over the long term, this can result in the wire from the fuel pump to the SAM to heat up. Sometimes this overheats the terminal end of the SAM and can require replacement. The Bypass is done to prevent this. Don't go below 2 bubbles - cheaper, but won't prevent it. Almost all modern fuel pumps are immersed in fuel in the fuel tank. Almost all modern fuel pumps should not be below 1/4 full on the fuel tank for this reason.

We only do this that cars that required it, or are showing symptoms. Not all cars require it.

I can do this for you, if you like - approximately $450.00 for all the parts & labour. If you are running your car half full, instead of 1/2 empty, you can wait a bit.

I hope this helps

Cheers,

Greg

On 1/2/2015 3:01 PM, R Dickinson wrote:
If Greg's team did not add an external fuel pump relay during this work, I strongly advise you to have this done ASAP. It is a cheap upgrade and prevents an almost certain SAM burnout in higher km vehicles, which is a $1500 problem. That is what happened to our present smart when the SAM failed. It has happened to hundreds of Canadian cars. That is why there is a service bulletin about it.
I got the above e-mail today. Was this taken care of please?
Thanks
Roger

It is a relatively easy DIY as well. I am going to do it this summer for the two headlamp circuits, which can have the same problem.

The cause and effect Greg mentions is speculative. I used to run my 250K km cdi down to under 5L all the time and its SAM was still original. My present car's SAM failed at under 60K km and it was rarely below two blobs of fuel.

Fairly warned be thee, says I :D

A couple of months ago it took 20 bucks to fill the tank, now it's about 15. Somewhere b/w 1 and 2 bubbles.

My brother is an avid bike rider and encouraged me to get a bike instead of running. He said think of the fuel you will save??? I drive a Smart car, how much more can I save??

All I need now is a red and silver passengers side electric mirror.

Thank you!

It was in the registry but the other details were missing (colour etc). We had it located in Chatham.

Oi! Remember me?

Besides mine, there's Su's can't-miss-it-green, John's red (his was the first in town), Laurie's (forget the colour, might be blue, but it was actually ordered first and arrived after John's), the other Carl's black one (it was the prize in a Habitat for Humanity raffle), the Government of Yukon's black one, a white one that lives north of me somewhere...All diesels. Seems to me there are more, but I have CRS syndrome.

You've got the numbers for Su's and mine.

See if you can snag the VINs of those other ones for us. Cheers

Nope. It took me more than 100 hours and extensive (costly) access to the National Vehicle Database to compile that and I won't be doing that again for some years. But you are welcome to!

Mike.... all of our thanks for your efforts on behalf of the club to completely document what you have.

I hope everyone in the club will make every effort to keep your various extensive data basae updated.

1 person likes this