Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayble

Part Number For Tik/turbo Intake Seal?

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,Just a quick one, does anyone have a part number for the flexible seal that is placed around the turbocharger intake inside the TIK? I've got two different part numbers listed in the EPC but wanted to check with others first. Mine is a 2001 Fortwo CDI.Thanks,John

Can someone take a photo of this? I'm on like my 7th "Turbo inlet seal" and I still have yet to receive an explanation of WHAT is being sealed.-Iain

The TIK is rigid plastic. The turbo inlet throat is metal. The inlet seal is a rubber collar that goes between the two in order to make a properly air-tight connection. It fits inside the end of the plastic TIK and over the smaller turbo inlet throat.

Viewed as lying on your back looking straight up at the under side of the turbo.

(may not be exactly as illustrated)Posted Image

It's a $6 item and you can replace it yourself with the rear panels removed by removing the retaining band and slipping the TIK off the turbo. Re/re the new seal, and do the clip back up again. Done. Easy-peasy.

HTH,

Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

So, the intake tube running from the airbox to the intake side of the turbocharger is just a press fit on the outside of this seal? I guess it doesn't need to be super airtight or anything since it's only drawing a slight vacuum through the filter...

OK, I'll trust you on this one and just buy the part and give it a shot myself.

-Iain

Is it possible that the CDi's could negate having this seal by using the Forge Motorsports TIK pipe? Its 4-ply silicone and such a tight fit that I had to soak the turbo inlet end in some very hot water to get the pipe loose enough to slip over the turbo inlet without the seal on it. I have a gasser so I know there are differences between the two. But isn't the TIK, and the connections to it, the same?

Here is mine in-situ. The viewing angle is with the rear panel off, sitting on my bum facing the engine. Turbo inlet is on the bottom right.

Posted Image

Edited by briand

All the seal does is provide an elastic fit between rigid plastic and metal. It's just a gasket. A bespoke silicone pipe won't need a gasket.

Why does it keep failing? Maybe it isn't failing at all! Inspect yours when you remove it, Iain. The clamp could be too tight, damaging the seal. Or maybe (probably) the "leak" at the seal is actually just creep from the notorious CCV fitting. Or maybe the end of the TIK pipe is damaged.

I mean, how simple is this??

Posted Image

B :sun:

kayble,

thanks for the TIK seal part number. I've added it to the parts list at 450 Part Numbers

bil,

thanks for the info on the silicone pipe versus the original plastic part. :)

FYI, If it fits the diesel, I'd be interested in selling the Forge TIK pipe.

Edited by briand

FYI, If it fits the diesel, I'd be interested in selling the Forge TIK pipe.

Evil told me it doesn't fit the cdi. :dunno:

Thanks for the info, Bil. :) I have no way to test it to see if it does. If Kane (Evilution) says it doesn't I believe him. :D