Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SoulSurgeon

Upsolute Chiptuning

25 posts in this topic

Hi there,

First time poster here, and proud owner of a smart car for 4 days.

Ever heard of this site?

http://www.upsolute.com/index.php?option=c...;id_model=13078

I had a chiptune done 5 years ago on my VW Golf TDI. Tremendous amout of performance inprovement. I plan on doing the same with my Smart Passion Coupe.

Its about $400..so, not cheap..but in mileage, it eventually pays for itself. Better HP, Torque, and Mileage...can't go wrong. Anyone else had it done on their Smart? What do you think?

If it is the CDI (450) you will notice a big difference - on the new gas model - not so much as there is only so much they can do with a non-turbo to generate more power.You might want to do a search for remap.Cheers,Cameron

As noted in my signature:

Upsolute stage 2 remap from Sept 2005 to Oct 2007; Technine stage 2 remap from Oct 2007.

The change happened when I had a 3-spoke/paddle-shifter steering wheel installed. The Upsolute map was overlaid when the dealer upgraded the software to recognize the paddle shifters. Gary Wong, from whom I'd purchased the Upsolute map, replaced it with a Technine map, which was the brand that he was marketing at the time. Both remaps were good. After experiencing the improvements, I don't think I'd want to drive a car with the original map for very long. Unfortunately, Gary has disappeared from the scene, so if I lose the current map, I'm back at square one again. Choose your vendor carefully and get a statement about replacement if the map should ever be lost.

Yep, you are in the remap dealers hands all the way.If he moves away or stops the busines, you're out of luck!That's another reason I like the plug and play boxes

If it is the CDI (450) you will notice a big difference - on the new gas model - not so much as there is only so much they can do with a non-turbo to generate more power.You might want to do a search for remap.Cheers,Cameron

Seems like you can't live without a remap on your cdi :) Cheers,Eddy

Seems like you can't live without a remap on your cdi :) Cheers,Eddy

Nor can I!!!Gary Wong installed the Upsolute 55hp remap in my smart in '05, when it was a month old.What a difference from stock. Power and throttle response felt dramatically better, shifts were crisper and smoother, and the speed limiter was gone (a necessity when driving on the 407 back then).A year later Mercedes installed the A/C efficiency patch in my ECU and it corrupted the remap, defaulting the software back to factory settings.Now that I had gotten used to the remap, the car felt so horrible it seemed almost undriveable. I called Gary the next afternoon. I had such a need to get it reinstalled as soon as possible, he met me in a Burger King parking lot in Markham that night so I wouldn't have to wait one more day.That's service! It's really a shame he's dropped out of sight. Edited by Frankie X

When the remap got over-written back to the original default, did the provider charge you all over again to restore the remap? What's normal in the trade?Bil :senile:

When the remap got over-written back to the original default, did the provider charge you all over again to restore the remap? What's normal in the trade?Bil :senile:

That was the fantastic thing about Gary and his company, 10X Tuning; when he sold me the Upsolute he promised, in writing, on the invoice, FREE reinstalls if any service rewrite eliminated it.He kept his word....another reason to miss him... Edited by Frankie X

That was the fantastic thing about Gary and his company, 10X Tuning; when he sold me the Upsolute he promised, in writing, on the invoice, FREE reinstalls if any service rewrite eliminated it.He kept his word....another reason to miss him...

That's great Frankie,It's always nice to have a dealer like that that KEEPS his word from the start and is genuinely honest.Before AND after you give them your hard earned money.Steve Edited by Coast Steve

Nor can I!!!Gary Wong installed the Upsolute 55hp remap in my smart in '05, when it was a month old.What a difference from stock. Power and throttle response felt dramatically better, shifts were crisper and smoother, and the speed limiter was gone (a necessity when driving on the 407 back then).A year later Mercedes installed the A/C efficiency patch in my ECU and it corrupted the remap, defaulting the software back to factory settings.Now that I had gotten used to the remap, the car felt so horrible it seemed almost undriveable. I called Gary the next afternoon. I had such a need to get it reinstalled as soon as possible, he met me in a Burger King parking lot in Markham that night so I wouldn't have to wait one more day.That's service! It's really a shame he's dropped out of sight.

I can provide all the same services that Gary provided on 450's, with similar maps. Various members here have used my maps for the 450 and were very satisfied. I'll also be able to program the 451's soon. MarkD

is 10x Tuning still around ?? or is the only horse in town, Mark D ?

You mean Technine? No, it's not around now. I'm the only horse in town, but that's not a bad thing either. :horseshit:

You mean Technine? No, it's not around now. I'm the only horse in town, but that's not a bad thing either. :horseshit:

I can provide you with Upsolute tuning.

I can provide you with Upsolute tuning.

whats the hp rating you can tune? an what kinda money would 1 be looking at for a remap.

Just wanted everyone to know...that I had the upsolue tuning done on July 1/2010....night and day performance. Crisp, snappy, fast...I keep up with a hole V8 Pick up truck drivers always trying to get in front of me.Highly recommend getting it done.Any other suggestions for performance boosting?

Do you have any knowledge who would perform the tuning in Calgary, AB ?

Just wanted everyone to know...that I had the upsolue tuning done on July 1/2010....night and day performance. Crisp, snappy, fast...I keep up with a hole V8 Pick up truck drivers always trying to get in front of me.Highly recommend getting it done.Any other suggestions for performance boosting?

I was recently talking to an old mechanic / truck driver friend the other day and brought up the subject of a remap and what he thought of them. He poked his head in the car an looked at the odometer, shook his head head and said he would 100% advise against it. His point being that my little smart has almost 90k on the dial and that any sudden change in horsepower or other effect of a remap would / could be very hard on the engine. As it essentially has to break itself in again. This added wear or sudden change in tuning depending on how well the engine was maintained and driven could potentially kill it in short order. In his words " If you only had 25K on it then go for it, at 90k I'd give you 2-6 months before that little engine is either dead or you're putting some very major work into it. "I'm just wondering what people think of his statement and if it holds any weight / makes sense?ThanksChris

I had 310 000kms when I upgraded my VW tdi turbo and reflash/chip, about 50% more power. Now at 415 000kms, didn't miss a beat. I have added twice the boost on older Mercedes diesels at 500 000kms, didn't mind at all. Diesels don't mind the extra power...it is how you use that matters. I would strongly recommend a bigger turbo if your want to go faster with better internals (bigger bearings,thicker mainshaft). They engine should be just fine. Take it easy until its hot, service it regularily and make sure the oil is getting thoroughly changed (clean on the stick). Of course weak points or already worn out parts are going to fail faster, but they might have needed replacement before the upgrade and are just making themselves more known with added power!

Hi all, just checking in here again. Still driving the CDI Smart. I had some great trips. I went from Barrie Ontario to Burke Virginia...drove around there for 3 days and drove back. $67 in fuel. :) Mostly because Diesel is cheaper down there...harder to find though. It was a pain having to stop every 200-300 km's to fill up...just in case the next gas station didn't have Diesel.Next best trip was Barrie to Quebec City and back. $72.00 in fuel..with wife, and full suitcase in the back, and winter driving.Lastly, Barrie to Tobermory, across on the Ferry, Drove around MANITOULIN ISLAND for three days, Espanola, Sudbury and home. 1000 km...$42. :)80k on the car now...still wouldn't mind tweaking it a bit more. I'll post why in another thread.

Edited by SoulSurgeon

"Next best trip was Barrie to Quebec City and back. $72.00 in fuel..with wife, and full suitcase in the back, and winter driving."You should let your wife sit up front, much more comfortable.

"You should let your wife sit up front, much more comfortable."

:3tens:

Edited by lebikerboy

"Next best trip was Barrie to Quebec City and back. $72.00 in fuel..with wife, and full suitcase in the back, and winter driving."You should let your wife sit up front, much more comfortable.

Maybe I'll put my wife in the front, and 3illmesmart in the back with the suitcase and the dog. XD