Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
booneylander

Biodiesel In Ottawa.

15 posts in this topic

I'm looking into buying a significant quantity of ASTM-certified B100 from a supplier in Montreal. Ideally, I would be buying it in 1000L totes and bringing those back to my place in Kemptville. I have the ability to transport the large totes, and I also have the space to store them, and would look into different means of distributing the fuel. I don't have the time or means to operate a 'gas station' so any fuel distribution would have to be a sort of 'by appointment' thing. I work in Kanata so distributing small amounts of fuel from there would be workable.As I write the supplier, I need to have a ballpark idea of how much fuel I could potentially 'move', the advantage being that if I can buy a large quantity of fuel in one shot, I can minimize the cost of transportation, and hopefully get a better price for the fuel itself. For 'my' own use, I can buy about 2400L of fuel and use most of it over the course of the summer.My questions to everyone are the following:Would you:-Buy B100 if it was a few cents cheaper than 'pump' fuel?-Buy B100 if it was the same price as 'pump' fuel?-Buy B100 if it was a few cents more expensive than 'pump' fuel?Your preferred method of buying it would be:-Make an appointment, drive to Kemptville, 'fill up' (the car, jerry cans, etc), and pay for fuel used.-Have a 'large unit' of fuel delivered to your house (a 120L barrel, for example), and pay a fixed price that includes a deposit on the barrel and a small delivery charge.-Drive to Kemptville/Kanata and buy one or several 'small unit(s)' of fuel (a 20L jerry can, for example), pay a fixed price that includes a deposit on the jerry can, but no delivery charge.-Order a minimum amount of fuel (100L or more), and have it delivered to your place, and pumped directly into your own means of storage (jerry cans, barrels, oil tanks, etc), and pay for the metered amount of fuel delivered plus a small delivery charge.And finally:-Worst case scenario, (B100 more expensive than 'pump' fuel), how much would you be willing to buy?-Best case scenario (B100 cheaper than 'pump' fuel), how much would you be willing to buy?

I'm interested, though I don't yet know how much I might buy. I have to feed two diesels; a Jetta TDI and the smart cabriolet. Both are a few years old, so I'd want to approach it carefully, since I don't know what sludge might have built up in the fuel system.Certainly I'd be interested if it's less than current pricing, given there's less energy per litre. However, I'm probably good to current pricing. Initially I think I'd be good for 120l to try it out, and would consider picking it up myself, or other arrangements, depending on pricing. I'm in Kanata, so that may play into it.

Provided the cost was close to, or lower than, the cost of normal diesel, I could go for a couple 20 L jerry cans worth (3 or 4) (So 60-80 L).if it was "significantly" more expensive (Significantly meaning 10 cents or more above normal cost), I would probably still go for 1 jerry can.Being in Stittsville, it would be significantly more convenient (On my end) to meet in Kanata. I would be perfectly willing to do a trip to Kemptville to get a bunch too, though.

While I haven't been to Rolfquo in a few weeks as I've only been splash-blending (B10-B20) for the past nine months, the price has held steady at $1.12 per litre for the last 18 months or so. Note that I have no idea if there is a discount price for 1000 litre totes. But the price predictability has a certain appeal, and Quebec offers a 9¢/L rebate for B100 bought by QC drivers, making the price competitive with petroleum diesel (here).

Edited by SameGuy

In discussions with Rolfquo, it looks like if I were to get 3000L (3 totes), price after gov. rebate (assuming I can get it) and BEFORE costs (my fuel to drive it back from Montreal etc - which spread out over 3000L worth would be pretty insignificant) would be in the 91.5-92 cents per liter range. My plan would be to only make one trip for the summer, so at least you could count on the fact that the fuel price would be the same for the whole summer.I'll keep you guys posted as things progress. Thanks to those that have answered the questions already, and let's hear from more of you!

Edited by booneylander

I filled up at Rolfquo on Monday morning and B100 worked out at $1.169. I was a little suroprised that it was above the usual dinodiesel local pump price of $1.08 of the last few months

I checked last years Quebec Tax refund and at that time it was 16.2 C/lt.

They have changed the form now

http://www.revenu.gouv.qc.ca/documents/en/...-v(2010-04).pdf

Sameguy have you heard about a reduction in the refund? or was your 9c/lt a typo?

I need another fill now so I'll be back at Rolfquo to check their price tomorrow morning.

2seat

No, you're correct. I mis-remembered -- the last time I applied for the refund was when Rolfquo's price throughout the summer was $1.25, and the rebate was 16¢, netting $1.09 per litre. At the time (2008), $1.09 was a significant saving compared to dino diesel's average pump price.

I would be extremely interested in large quantities if the price is competitive, meaning around 85 cents a little like it is on the 401 between Cornwall and Kingston truck stops. If there is no savings then no point as there is an increased risk of higher maintenace/getting stranded from clogged filters or coked rings. As it is I make a trip once a summer to Cornwall and buy 300-400L to store for the winter when the price is higher...Greg

I check at Rolfquo on Friday and the refund is the same in principle. However since the fuel tax has increased by 1 cent so has the rebate to 17.9cent/litre!His current price is $1.169 so that makes it a round $1/litre after the rebate. This is attractive when compared with the current $1.08 at the pumps here around Montreal.2seat

Just a reminder that the price of fuel in Ontario will include the provincial sales tax of 8% starting on July 1, thanks to McGuinty's HST. Based on the taxing structure for fuels, that will add about 6.6¢/litre.

booneylander,Any update? I'm certainly interested in getting some, and the better the price, the more I'll get.

I am about to start production of ATSM-grade B100. The first batches should be available in mid-September and am accepting pre-orders against the current WVO stock. Delivery in the Ottawa area will be made initially using recycled 16l oil cubes; easy to handle for doing your own on-site blending and something we have a lot of as much of our WVO arrives here in the same cubes.The equipment being used is all top of the line professional-grade and produced by Springboard Biodiesel; world renowned for producing the best small-batch automated processors available. Our oil is pre-filtered using high-speed centrifuge before processing to remove water and contaminates down to 1 micron or below.If you're interested you can contact me directly at ajh@offroad101.caI personally got involved in this due to my rebuilding of diesel Land Rovers; but output will also be heading down to my parents in Portland, ON for use in their much loved Smart as well.

Our initial production will be 2500l/week starting roughly in 2-weeks. We are accepting pre-orders now; cost is based on delivery location and volume but will always be less than Petroleum Diesel.In the next week or so you'll also be able to place orders on-line.And, coincidentally we should have a FourTwo here as our 2nd diesel vehicle in the next several weeks!