Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
metro-mike

Rpm, Gear Choice And Mileage

7 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 Cdi that I bought a couple of months ago with approx. 94,000 klm. On my first tank I got approx. 68 mpg and thought I could have done better, but since I was new to driving a diesel, I figured I was reving the motor to high. So the next tank I tried to monitor the rpm closer to make sure I kept the rpm at a lower range, under 2500rpm. That tank was close to 65mpg. So I bought a X-guage to watch what I was doing and the next tank I tried to keep the rpm under 2200rpm, my mileage was 61!! Most of my driving is on a freeway with the speed is around 60mph, 100klm. Well yesterday I noticed than when I'm in 5th gear at around 3000 at 100klm I was getting close to 65-70 mpg but when I dropped in to 6th gear the mileage dropped to the 50's. So I kept the car in 5th the rest of the way home and the mileage was keeping in the upper 60's and the low 70's. The only thing I noticed was that the water temp went from 172 to staying at 180-185. Any ideas why my mileage drops so much when I drive in 6th gear? I know that when I'm close to 3000rpm that the turbo is running high and squeezing more air into the motor, but I'm at a loss to figure out why my mileage is off. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give as much information as possible. Thanks...................

That is very unusual behaviour, my two smarts both drink a lot more diesel in 5th than 6th.Don't be shy, take the car to 3K RPM and beyond when accelerating and don't put it in 6th below 90 km/h on a flat road.Your car may be down on power since it won't happily pull 6th.....do you get downshift arrows when the FE gets worse in 6th?

Ambient temperature has a huge role in mileage. I had my first 500km tank this week, daytime highs @15-20C. My short 20km commute won't even bring it to operating temperature when it's below -10C, then I get @400km per tank. It can be tricky to use an X-gauge to monitor fuel consumption. The best way is to record mileage after every fill-up to find out the true fuel economy, then compare it to the numbers your getting from the X-gauge. A great online resource for storing this info is http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/

I was trying this last night, and I think there is something seriously wrong with your X-gauge settings. Cruising along in 6th on a level road, and I was using around 4.0 L/100km, shifted to 5th, and it would stay steady around 5.5 or 6.0 L/100km. I would be checking your measurment devices first.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

I have a Welt-engineering x-guage. I going to borrow a friends scan guage this weekend, and use it next week and see what my results are. The air temp has been fairly consistent.

Well after using a Scan guage for a couple of days, it is pretty obvious that there is a problem with my Welte x-guage, when it shifts into 6th gear. When I drive with the scan guage in 5th and upshift to 6th, mpg goes up pretty quickly. Thanks everyone for your input.......... Next step, Remap......