Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dennis M

Disable Buzzer

3 posts in this topic

OK, I've searched the forum with no success. The "key in ignition buzzer" is driving me nuts. It works just the opposite of the way you would expect. This is a 2005 G&K converted, gray market 450.With the key in the ignition, but turned off, open the driver door - no buzzer.With the key in the ignition and turned on, engine running or not, open the driver door - buzzer goes until door is closed!This is totally useless - unless one is in the habit of walking away without realizing that the engine is running!Anyone know how to disable this buzzer or change it so it is actually a reminder that you left the key in the ignition when it is off?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I believe this was covered here somewhere (and also over at the SCoA forums). Slide the driver's seat as far forward (toward the steering wheel) as it will go. Under the driver's seat there is a wire coming out of the carpet.Gently pull as much of this out of the carpet as you can. You should soon feel an area of this wire that has a bulge wrapped in electrical tape. Unwrap the electrical tape and you will find two pink connectors. Unplug both as one controls the seatbelt and the other controls the key-in-ignition-and-door-open buzzer. Then re-wrap these in electrical tape. I tried to use the existing but ended up replacing it with new electrical tape. Enjoy the annoying, buzzer-free life! :D Why G&K was force to change the pleasant "bong bong bong" noise to an annoying "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" is mind-boggling.Also, are you going to the Smart Car Nationals in June? There are a few G&K 450s that will be there as well as some of the forum members here! :)

Edited by briand

"Bong bong bong" doesn't exist in any other country except Canada; it was one of those add-in things that they put on the 450 cdi's. The G+K cars were done before the Canadian cdi's were around so they would have had to come up with their own cheapo buzzer/chime fix to make them legal in the US (which has the same tone laws for unfastened seatbelts). Probably cheaper to buy a $5 buzzer at Radio Shack or Electrosonic than to try and come up with a chime, that's all.-Iain