Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

Next Car

183 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

We did some shopping around today at different dealerships. We've narrowed it down to:

[*]Nissan Versa

[*]Honda Fit

[*]Honda insight

[*]Toyota Yaris

[*]Scion xD

[*]Scion xB

Less of a chance of making it, but considering:

[*]VW Golf

[*]Suzuki SX4

[*]Nissan Cube

[*]Toyota Prius

The Versa is currently poised at the top of this short list because with the "beige trowsers on" it's the best value for the money, has a 6 speed MT, back seat is huge, the interior styling is very amiable, and the safety rating is excellent. The insight is currently going for $6k off list (4k from Honda, 2k from the Government until the end of May, when EcoAuto ceases) which drops it to 19.5k, so that pushed it onto the list (along with consumption that is not far off the much more expensive Prius). I don't hate the styling and I do like that it's a full liftback (my first car, an '85 Toyta Corolla hatchback, was like that and it's immensely useful). A nicely equipped Versa drops to 12.5k with the 2k cash incentive (I'd not even consider financing unless it was 0% and a short term, like 2 years or something - I hate owing anyone anything). I still really like the Yaris but Phil hates Toyota so that's a struggle.

Running the KWRC's SNATR rally today made me frustrated that the smart will not run past this fall (because of my cold-weather starting issues) - because I'd really like to be driving it for another couple years.

-Iain

Edited by Duck

I'm not a big fan of the styling - its a bit too all over the place. :) I forgot to put the Scion xD and xB on the list - I like both of those cars a lot, but they're still a few months away from introduction in Ontario. The xB especially - the new car is larger than it's predecessor and the design is fantastic. Especially the interior. But it's huge!-Iain

@ Huronlad - No, not yet.SX4 - shoot, forgot to add that as well. Didn't get to Suzuki today. It's expensive, though...-Iain

The Golf seems kind of thirsty, suspect you were looking at the City version? I have driven the Versa and Golf, both roomy for me.

No City (Mexico!) Golf for us - bad maintenance reviews on that model. The regular version.-Iain

I have a cube. (the official name is "Cube Mobile Device").I bought it because it was weird, but I've really grown to like it. Everyone comments on what a comfortable car it is.Plus you can do all these weird customizations to it, interior lights, bungee cords (in many flavours), accent trim, etc. It's basically the Versa underneath, but 1000x more quirky.Cheers! Dang

The Hyundai Elantra Touring and Ford Fiesta would also be in your price range and both have some form of ESP.

Edited by Huronlad

The Versa is practically a Renault, so get it! Too bad it's so ugly at the front.

The Fit is probably the best all-around car on the list, but you should buy the car you want to drive most. There isn't really a terrible car on the list, but I think once you've driven them all you'll probably get the Fit. There's a reason every magazine and reviewer rates it at the very top of every small car list.

I just checked out pricing on the Fit, for one with A/C you are looking at around $17,000 and nearly 6% to finance, $3,000 in interest. It also does not have any form of ESP.

No interest in financing. I don't like the look of anything from Kia or Hyundai, and the Fiesta I know has got great reviews but honestly I just can't do the styling. It's hideous. :/ Mike - Agreed about the Versa, the looks are so-so but the interior is good and it's very safe. It will probably come down to the Fit or the Versa, I'd imagine. I really appreciate your input guys!(Is it true the Versa is closely aligned with the Modus? Was there sharing of technology/design? 'Coz I love the Modus!)-Iain

Also, the Mazda2 will be out soon. Twin to the Ford Fiesta, except it actually looks good.Personally, I am a big fan of the Fit, I would have bought one (first gen) instead of my Mazda3 if the Fit had heated mirrors.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

No interest in financing. I don't like the look of anything from Kia or Hyundai, and the Fiesta I know has got great reviews but honestly I just can't do the styling. It's hideous. :/ Mike - Agreed about the Versa, the looks are so-so but the interior is good and it's very safe. It will probably come down to the Fit or the Versa, I'd imagine. I really appreciate your input guys!(Is it true the Versa is closely aligned with the Modus? Was there sharing of technology/design? 'Coz I love the Modus!)-Iain

I totally agree with your positive view of the Fit and the Versa. I own a 2007 Fit and it's been 100% reliable and very versatile. Great car. I average over 45mpg with it and have stretched it to 52 on occasion.I rented a Versa in California a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. It gets less mpg and is less versatile, though.I also like the Yaris. Better gas mileage than the Fit and rock solid reliability.My 2005 smart that I purchased a bit over a year ago ( with 108,000 clicks) has been nothing near as reliable as the Japanese machines. I got it with an extended warranty transferred to me - thank God! I've had issues with door latches, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, sway bars - all needing replacing. Sheesh!I love my smart but when the extended warranty dies I'll dump it for something Japanese!Cheers,Fred in Nova Sctia

I gather the Versa uses the Clio platform...the Modus is smaller so I don't know if it's the same too.

Hi Duck

I am a Honda Fit fan

I do dealer trades for a Honda dealer in London and am happiest when I pick up a Fit to drive back.

For me it has the open front glass area view of the Smart. Loads of cargo space when the seats are folded down.

Cup holders conveniently located.

A little light on the road (same as Smart) Just enough horsepower.

A must test drive for you.

...Don

As much as I like Honda, I still am not sold on the Fit. I think it's too expensive for what you get. Yes there's a lot of room in the back, but the front passenger area is kind of tight. Honestly, I prefer our '03 Vibe to the fit any day. The 1.8L still gets great gas mileage, but you don't have to thrash it as hard to make some power. Not to mention the Vibe has been completely bullet-proof.

No ABS? No ESP? Meh. ALL cars in Canada must have ESP by the 2011 model year. So hold out for a 2011 whatever you buy.

No ABS? No ESP? Meh. ALL cars in Canada must have ESP by the 2011 model year. So hold out for a 2011 whatever you buy.

Or buy it BEFORE 2011 if you hate all the nanny controls like ESP.... like me. :)

With the exception of the smart ESP, I was under the impression that most other systems have an off button for low speeds.

Yeah, no ESP on the Fit turned me off to be honest. ESP's kicked in countless times with me on the smart and I wouldn't be without it now. I don't really have the option of holding out too long, because the smart won't work come about October or so, when the temperature dips below 0 C.-Iain

The 2011 Hondas should roll out shortly. The 2011 CR-Z, essentially a sporty, two-door Insight, is due out by September. 122 combined horsepower and an estimated 5.3 L/100 Km (with the optional CVT).