Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

Next Car

183 posts in this topic

When properly maintained, it's hard to beat a Honda. My 22 year old Civic is soooo reliable, all its original light bulbs are still in it, and they all still work. With over 450,000 kms on it, it has only gone through one exhaust system, one set of brakes and three batteries. That said, most new cars mentioned in your original list should fill the bill. The final decision, of course, is yours. If I was making the choice, it would be a no-brainer.

Good luck

Ron :bike:

While your out test-driving,why not take the new AWD Suzuki Kizashi out for a test-drive too?

The 2011 Hondas should roll out shortly. The 2011 CR-Z, essentially a sporty, two-door Insight, is due out by September. 122 combined horsepower and an estimated 5.3 L/100 Km (with the optional CVT).

Oh, believe me, I know all about the CR-Z... I took quite a razzing about it when I presented my interest in that car here in this forum. :)-Iain

While your out test-driving,why not take the new AWD Suzuki Kizashi out for a test-drive too?

Because I'm not interested in a Sedan.(...and I don't care for the way it looks, and starts at 30k)-Iain

Oh, believe me, I know all about the CR-Z... I took quite a razzing about it when I presented my interest in that car here in this forum. :)-Iain

Not by me! :)I think it's pretty cool; I like the original (second generation) '88-'92 CR-X, as well as the original Insight. The new Insight, not so much.

Fiat 500 will be out soon as well as Cruze Eco ?

Yeah ---- hang on to that pioneering spirit, Duck, and get your name on the waiting list for the Fiat 500. All those auto journalists who voted it top compact car in Europe can't be wrong. OK ---- I guess they could ---- but I still suspect it is a great little car and a blast to drive.

Heh. Auto journalists. Auto journalists also called the Solstice serious competition for the MX5 (Miata).

I suspect that quite a few of them have an agenda ---- or at least a personal bias. However, I am looking forward to taking a 500 for a spin one day ---- and the fuel economy wouldn't put Duck in the poorhouse.

Italian quality with Mexican workmanship ;) But it could be good despite the odds!

Sounds a lot like the pizza I ordered a few days ago. :) It actually was tasteful, was hand built to perfection, and left me feeling satisfied. Oh ---- did I mention that the cost was low compared to other choices that I had. Now where's that Fiat.

We'll be driving a Fiat 500 on Monday!-Iain

HUH? WHA? SWEET!!!!!We expect a full report within minutes of you driving it! :D

I've driven a Versa and a Fit back to back, and the Versa sucks ass, so maybe that's... uhm, but the Fit is a whole lot more money. The Insight is intriguing at that price.

Yeah I think the Versa is nasty in terms of finish (I've not driven it though). A lot of even semi-expensive cars these days have horrid interior materials, like the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X, most mid-range Nissans, Hyundai GT cars etc. I would have to go for a 2011 Honda if limited to the lower price ranges. 2011 because they will have to be equipped with ESP...and Honda is slow on the uptake (strange, considering the car is so tall).

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Fit is superior in handling, road noise, driveability... at least from my perspective. Now, granted, that was compared to the Versa with the ridiculous CVT it came with. The Fit with a 5 speed was superb, and a 5.0 was too easy to get!

Edited by smartzuuk

The Fit is superior in handling, road noise, driveability... at least from my perspective. Now, granted, that was compared to the Versa with the ridiculous CVT it came with. The Fit with a 5 speed was superb, and a 5.0 was too easy to get!

Ya, CVT's pretty much ruin any car they are in. Just finished driving a new Subaru Legacy with a CVT, it was horrible and could not wait to get back into the smart. Also had a rental Nissan Altima with a CVT recently, ugh......that trans just kills the fun out of anything it is put in...

Posted (edited) · Report post

On an extended rental with an Sentra CVT last year, I thought it was ok. Better impressions than in the Versa. Are they the same? NOt sure, but the Versa I drove was not inspiring.

Edited by smartzuuk

We'll be driving a Fiat 500 on Monday! -Iain

So ------ I guess you liked it so much that nobody's seen you since you drove it off the lot? At least post a few impressions from an internet cafe somewhere.

So ------ I guess you liked it so much that nobody's seen you since you drove it off the lot? At least post a few impressions from an internet cafe somewhere.

Well, it has been a week, how handy are internet cafe's in Central America...... :D

Some thoughts Duck. All of your posts show an enthusiasm about the smarts that is unmatched even despite trials and tribulations. You put on more miles than almost anyone here. You know your smart inside and out.Will you love the ownership of one of these other models? Will you stop driving just for the enjoyment of it? What will the total cost per year be if you still drive the same number of miles? If you picked up a used 450 with 50-75 thousand kilometers on it and kept your old one for parts (body and paint mods etc.), invest the difference or save the finance or use the principal and pay for the diesel ($10,000 price difference = more than 10,000 liters diesel = 230,000 kilometers of free fuel) Just a different angle to look at it from.

If you picked up a used 450 with 50-75 thousand kilometers on it and kept your old one for parts (body and paint mods etc.), invest the difference or save the finance or use the principal and pay for the diesel ($10,000 price difference = more than 10,000 liters diesel = 230,000 kilometers of free fuel)

And a good idea, I would say.Iain is in Europe right now, so I recall......obviously he's having too much fun to hang out here ;)

So the Fiat 500 I thought we were getting turned into a Fiat Punto (yawn), and the Renault Twingo RHD we were supposed to have in the UK/Wales turned out to be a Chevy (Daewoo) Matiz. I can now probably quite truthfully say I've driven the worst car in the world. :) It's only redeeming quality is that it is NARROW which is a requirement in Wales. I'm still trying to clutch and shift with my left hand. :)Quite happy to be back in the smart. Putting on a couple thousand km in something else puts things back in perspective at how solid our little cars really are. The Versa/Punto are about the same size and I really hated how big it was. :/We saw more Toyota iQ's than smarts on this trip - the iQ seems to be quite popular, and man is it ever sharp looking.-Iain

All the MB stores around here are having their semi-annual demo sales right now. Maybe check out a B Turbo? They are mostly low-mileage demos and courtesy cars, and have been thoroughly cleaned, inspected and renewed for sale.