Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pwven

Engine Running Hot

16 posts in this topic

My 451 Cabrio is running hotter than normal lately and I do not know why. If I do a trip in town of about 10 KM and I get home the temperature gauge is a bit higher than normal and you can smell the engine.The water level in the tank is on max and there is no water leak. The radiator is clean. Are there anything ells I can check?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well, the engine should run hotter in the summer compared to the winter..........how much hotter is it, is it out of the normal range?Edit: LOL, I can't read, did not notice the location.....

Edited by MightyMouseTech

Ah.... he's from South Africa so they would be going into ''fall'' weather.Numbers would be good to help assist with your problem. (scangauge?)

Thanks for your replies.Yes I stay in South Africa and going into winter now. The temp gauge show one bar higher than normal.

Have the cooling system pressure tested, my guess is you have a possible head gasket problem.

Have the cooling system pressure tested, my guess is you have a possible head gasket problem.

Thanks for the reply Mike TIf the head gasket have a problem then you will have water loss if I am correct. The car uses no water. If I cannot solve the problem I will have to take it in for a Test.

Air lock :dunno:

Hi bilgladstone.I was wondering the same thing. Is there a easy way to check or fix it?

Or his radiator needs to be cleaned out with compressed air.

Hi PrairieBoy.No I do not thinks so. This is my wifes car and it is mainly used in town. The only long trip is for the yearly service at the dealer. The car has only done 7200KM.

Just some feed back from me.Have tried to see if there was a airlock but it seems ok, the water level did not drop.Took the car on the open road and at 110km/hr the temp stayed normal. Then slowed down to 60km/hr and went from 60 to 120km/hr full throtle and the temp gauge went up one bar higher than normal. Getting home the egine smelled very hot. It may be the turbo getting that hot, not sure.Will report it at the next service. Thanks all the help and advice appreciated.

Fan? Our fans are controlled to come on only when hot, you should be able to hear it. Don't mistake the intercooler fan in the back for the radiator fan in the front.If it stays cool at highway speeds and not at low speeds....

Failed thermostats can also cause overheating issues - hard to tell unless you pull it and test it - which is a bit of a chore.For airlocks - find a shop with a vacuum radiator filler - basically it puts the system under vacuum - air comes out - coolant goes in - very effective. You can do the same with a hand held vacuum pump - like you use for bleeding brakes but it is a bit more of an effort.Cheers,Cameron

Failed thermostats can also cause overheating issues - hard to tell unless you pull it and test it - which is a bit of a chore.For airlocks - find a shop with a vacuum radiator filler - basically it puts the system under vacuum - air comes out - coolant goes in - very effective. You can do the same with a hand held vacuum pump - like you use for bleeding brakes but it is a bit more of an effort.Cheers,Cameron

Thanks SpeedieWill try to vacuum the radiator filler. If that do not solve the problem the I will get the dealer to check the thermostats.