Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SMARTER NOW

Only Car?

40 posts in this topic

How many of you have taken the big leap, tiny leap for that matter and have only one car, and that car is the Smart?I have only one car and I do fine, do we really need more then that. I work in Mississauga live in Hamilton 130Km round trip 5 days a week all year round.So the question goes who of you out there have just the one?And lets hear the feeble excuses from those who say they can't have only a Smart.

Good question - I am looking at a smart which will be our only car and it's amazing how many people try and talk you out of it because it only has 2 seats. Sometimes it makes me wonder, so very interested in the responses!!!

Single guy on my own. The smart is all I need. But I have a wee utility trailer for whenI need more capacity.Bil :sun:

I am not the poster boy for this: I have two smarts and two other cars as well. 3 kids. Say no more.

I'm single, live alone and I have a diesel smart and a gas GMC 2500HD 4x4.I don't drive my smart in the cold, as soon as it hits -10 my smart is parked for the duration.The smart doesn't provide enough heat for my comfort level in the winter even though the car itself deals with winter just fine.I am however in the process of going back to being a single vehicle owner and both my present vehicles are in the process of trying to be sold.I will go back to a mini truck like i had before i bought my smart.I have no real regrets about buying a smart, it's a wonderful car with exceptional personality but it just can't do all the things i need it to do and i am tired of insuring two vehicles when i can only drive one at a timeBut to the original question i have two vehicles for two reasons , the smart doesn't provide enough heat for me in the winter although it is much more fun to drive and it can't haul my quad and take me hunting and that's why i have a truck.

I love my Smart, but as soon as the snow flies. I park my baby for the winter and bring out my Jeep 4X4. I'm a coward winter driver, and I don't want to expose my Smart to the harsh Alberta winters.

Right now my only running vehicle is the smart and Gina is about to hit the 180,000 mark.

My old Toyota Landcruiser has been in the garage for over 5 years now- not needed.

The back up Mercedes has been sidelined and needs repair- not used since January. Since then I have only had to borrow a van once to move some bulky stuff.

I like driving the smart so much that the other vehicles are not needed and get neglected :D

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm single & bought my 450 (used) when gas was pushing $1.40 litre with a short stick; keep a 15 yr old pickup for driving in the snow & pulling a boat/camping & fully expected to garage the Smart when the cold weather hit, but even on anaverage winter in the city it's amazing how few times I drive the truck!

Edited by strawboss

Tardis has been our only running car for the past twelve months. Scary when you live in the country. No busses handy out here when things go wrong. But so far he has gone through tough winters not the cold of the prairies though. But we get some bad storms here. I miss having a daytime runabout when Jake is off at work. so far so good thoughKaren

Sold the Mazda3 several months ago. The smart is now our (my wife and I) only car. Except for the racecar, but that is not street legal. :)It gets a lot of miles as we live in suburbia hell still. That will be changing soon hopefully.

Edited by MightyMouseTech

The smart is MY only car but I also have 2 motorcycles [which are even less practical].My wife has a Mazda Tribute 4 cylinder, 5 speed with 2WD that gets over 30 mpg at highway speeds. I've borrowed it once in the last year.I do miss a trailer hitch though.

I sold my worn out 90 RAV4 and a perfectly fine 95 Matrix some time ago and now have 2 Smarts. An 06 that I drive all over Ontario for work including Toronto-Sudbury in Jan snow storms, plus a 08 Cabrio that my wife drives and is our w/e -vacation car. Love them and rent a bigger care once a yet when relatives are in town.Probably will trade when the warranties are up but no regrets so far. Did have a LIGHT trailer for hauling stuff but never used it sold it. Still get comments such as "Nice Car" driving the cabrio downtown this summer with the top down. Go for it. Love to fill up beside some big SUV and see the reaction, as even with premium in the 08 I am money ahead as I get a milage allowance for work.

My only car is a smart.My only suv is an Escape Hybrid.My only pickup is a 1990 Ranger.I bike to work every day. I have two bikes.

We used just the smart for 4 years, did the trailer thing when we needed more hauling room.But this year I broke down and got a small truck as well for loads.The planet is so bad now I'm doing my best by only owning 2 small cars.

Edited by Coast Steve

I just rent a car if I need something larger. That way, my second car is whatever I need at the time. Need a long distance cruiser? A pickup? A minivan? A convertible sports coupe? I have them all! :lol: And by not paying insurance on a second car, it costs the same to rent a car at least a full weekend per month.

the smart is my first car, so i went from no car and borrowing / renting when i needed a car, to borrowing / renting when i need more space.in the 5 months i've had the car I've borrow traded for a matrix(for the 4 seats, and for moving a dresser) and a minivan without seats (moving from one apartment to another)and for the record it's me and my fiancee with just the one vehicle

The smart is my only vehicle besides my bicycle and with the exception of break downs, I have only had to borrow a larger vehicle on one occasion.

I just rent a car if I need something larger. That way, my second car is whatever I need at the time. Need a long distance cruiser? A pickup? A minivan? A convertible sports coupe? I have them all! :lol: And by not paying insurance on a second car, it costs the same to rent a car at least a full weekend per month.

People at work suggest I rent a second vehicle, but my truck's paid for & has the minimum insurance allowed (plpd) & I do all my own brakes etc, so I hang onto it for pulling my boat, just sentimental i guess ;) Until the engine blows up of course.....

And lets hear the feeble excuses from those who say they can't have only a Smart.

Well, considering we had 400+ CM's of snow two winters ago here in Ottawa I can honestly state that having a second car with AWD was crucial to me getting to work and other activities when my Smart could only spin or "NOT SPIN" it's rear wheels (re: Traction Control....)This year we had quite a mild winter here in Ottawa and I barely drove my second car, which was great because I do enjoy driving my Smart. For peace of mind, its nice having options for severely in-climate weather. Edited by VRsyncro

I do a Cambridge to Mississauga daily commute and the Smart is our (my wife and mine) only running vehicle. I have an'02 PT Cruiser that is not running at the moment and I am in no hurry to get it back up and running.We have put 70,000 KM on our Smart in 18 months!Cheers,Shakey

Well, considering we had 400+ CM's of snow two winters ago here in Ottawa I can honestly state that having a second car with AWD was crucial to me getting to work and other activities when my Smart could only spin or "NOT SPIN" it's rear wheels (re: Traction Control....)This year we had quite a mild winter here in Ottawa and I barely drove my second car, which was great because I do enjoy driving my Smart. For peace of mind, its nice having options for severely in-climate weather.

I live in the same city and have not had a problem getting around, and I have never thought twice about going out in any snow storm. [shrug] But, I live in Stittsville, not out in the sticks.... Edited by MightyMouseTech

I do a Cambridge to Mississauga daily commute and the Smart is our (my wife and mine) only running vehicle. I have an'02 PT Cruiser that is not running at the moment and I am in no hurry to get it back up and running.We have put 70,000 KM on our Smart in 18 months!Cheers,Shakey

You do a Cambridge to Mississauga commute in a Smart TOO?? My 2005 had 24,000 km when I got it in late November and it now has 42,000. It won't get too much more until I figure out why it dies after a few seconds when I try to start it, I will re-register my '97 Intrepid with 302,000 km so I can go to work again. :-(