Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SMARTER NOW

Only Car?

40 posts in this topic

Got rid of our other car within a month of taking the smart home and we (two of us) have been quite happy living with 1 car and 2 seats for the past 4 years. At times we have cheated with a rental though not very often, and have also used our scooter and bikes in the good weather.

You do a Cambridge to Mississauga commute in a Smart TOO?? My 2005 had 24,000 km when I got it in late November and it now has 42,000. It won't get too much more until I figure out why it dies after a few seconds when I try to start it, I will re-register my '97 Intrepid with 302,000 km so I can go to work again. :-(

Yep it is a long drive but I don't mind.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The smart is not our only car, but it is one of our notable cars..We have a 2002 MINI Cooper launch edition, which was the smallest car in America when it came out.We love the performance of the MINI, especially in corners, and it is our summer fun car. We admire the iconic design of the MINI.We have a 2006 smart fortwo Passion, which is the smallest car in America. We love the economy of the turbo-diesel and we admire the iconic design of the smart as a truly fuel efficient urban car.We liked our first smart fortwo so much, that we bought another 2006 smart in 2008. We also have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee for winter, and a classic 1968 Mustang that has a partial restoration.While the smart is not our only car, it is the car best suited for economical urban transportation. We drive one in the summer and the other one in the winter.The fuel economy of the turbo-diesel blows everything else away.HIGH IQ

Edited by HIGH IQ

I bought Buttercup, Sep 2008 and I lived in Hamilton at the time and commuted to Mississauga. I now live in Mississauga and would never consider another car.

Right now my 06 smart passion coupe is my only vehicle and will be for a little while. After I do my training with the Canadian Forces (Element - Navy) and pick my home base which will either be Nova Scotia or British Columbia, will determine if I need a second vehicle. My doubts are high, the smart fits my needs and much more just fine and with having to leave for nine months at a time I will have to store it or have my parents come pick it up. Easy thing would be to sell the Wee Green Jellybean, but that isn't an option considering I love the car so much :)

My wife and I call it something else.....not to be repeated here... :D

When I pre-wired a couple of houses being built in a New Economy subdivision (Corel and MS middle-managers) in Stittsville about 10 years ago, every single person on the job sites referred to it as [Excrement]ville. :D

And lets hear the feeble excuses from those who say they can't have only a Smart.

I don't know why having multiple vehicles is any worse than having just the smart? It's not like I can drive them all at the same time... I drive the smart car almost all the time with the exception of the odd sunny day when I'll take one of the sports cars, and I get pretty good FE with the smart car so I'd bet that if I were to look at my overall fuel consumption across everything combined, I'm probably still doing better than most people are with just a smart, because the sports cars get SO little use. My big truck does a lot of driving but I kind of think the smart car would have trouble hauling 6 bikes and a 24ft garage to florida and back, so that's the exception (although I HAVE been running it on B100 so far).At the end of the day, more cars just means I'm out of pocket more for insurance and licencing costs, there's no environmental impact to it...

When I pre-wired a couple of houses being built in a New Economy subdivision (Corel and MS middle-managers) in Stittsville about 10 years ago, every single person on the job sites referred to it as [Excrement]ville. :D

Exactly! :D

'Britsmart': If you are storing your smart for 9 months,make sure to install a battery-maintainer /charger. The smart cars don't like long storage,as dead batteries cause trouble codes to show up on the display,which then need to cleared by a dealer.

'Britsmart': If you are storing your smart for 9 months,make sure to install a battery-maintainer /charger. The smart cars don't like long storage,as dead batteries cause trouble codes to show up on the display,which then need to cleared by a dealer.

Thanks for the information, I will keep that on hand for when it goes into storage. If you have any other suggestions or such they would be greatly appreciated :)

My smart is my first and only! I live with my parents and sister, who have a nissan sentra, a kia soul and a pontiac G5. I'll get a ride with my mom once in a while since she works at the university I attend, although it's hard to sync our schedules. I've only needed to switch with my dad's car once, when he changed my oil. BTW, they are very happy about the amount of space it takes up in the driveway :P

Hello everyone,Myself, I only drive Titan, I go back and forth to Mississauga each day and much rather be dring my smart than any other, Bill on the other hand drives our old van. Living aboard the boat causes the need for a larger vehicle twice a year when we do our switch of seasonal items for the boat.Once the last of the canvas and the fenders come over, Bill puts the van to the side and brings out his 1985 300d Mercedes (his baby). The mercedes will stay on the road until it looks like it may snow.Titan and I stick out all the different seasons together. :D Take care, drive safe.

Edited by Shirl

My wife and I live out in the country and our little 06 cdi has been our only car since nov 2010. We got it right after our ford focus got too expensive to repair. It has managed to drive through everything winter in southwestern manitoba could throw at it. We have been very impressed with it and how it handles. Though the lack of heat and stiff suspension over the winter took some getting used to. Chris

I have a X6 and my wife drive a Acura MDX. The MDX is such a pig I spend $90 every week to fill up. So I just bought a brand new 2008 Smart Cabrio with only 52 km to use it to and from work (45km total). I think $90 will last me at least 2 - 3 months.

I have two smarts. one 2005 black and a 2009 Brabus I fell for last summer, Black also. We have a leisure travel motor home van, For fun and a van that is needed for our work. Mind you we often drive in one vehicle together, which ever it be. The Brabus is more for fun when we have time to go do something different. The other smart is for sale possibly but been hesitant in a way to let it go cos I hate to see my diesel gone. Almost had it sold but the people couldn't come up with the money. I was a slight bit relieved, is that weird or what???