Xandria

Come, Say HI

1,101 posts in this topic

Hi all - We are new to the club - We have a 2006 diesel - which we bought 10 years ago!  Wish we knew about this years ago!!

Jane and Glen

:welcome: Jane and Glen to the 'smartest' group on the net.  Feel free to add photos of your smart when you get a chance to.

You're in the right area to take advantage of Uncle Glenn whose shop is located in London and services smarts for club members.(mostly diesels)   He uses quality parts and can do most things at a fraction of the cost of using an MB dealership.

If you're interested, the London area smarties meet once a month, usually on tuesday evenings for a friendly chit-chat and dinner.  Nothing official.  Just a bunch of like-minded people who enjoy our smarts and enjoy the company of others with similar interests.  See this link for more information and location.

:welcome: to the club BeSmart.

Feel free to ask for help at any time.  We have some very "smart" people here who could probably assist.

Remember to describe in as much detail as you can, any problems that you need help with.

• Hi, just traded our 08 smart gas for a 2014 electric, need to know how to store the car for four months in the winter.

Welcome to the club!!

Don't put the parking brake on for long storage.

13 hours ago, smart142 said:

Welcome to the club!!

Don't put the parking brake on for long storage.

Welcome to the club

Excellent advice from "Uncle Glenn"; mine seized when I left it parked at the airport over Christmas for 2 weeks.

Hi from Downunder. Have joined a pretty exclusive club, just 296 Smart Roadster's were shipped to Australia. Mine is blue, has trakline rims. Intake / exhaust etc

image.png

G'day, welcome!  How about a photo of the whole car?  

Canada didn't get any roadsters, but I did test drive a new one in France in 2005.

:welcome: to the club.

As Mike mentioned, Roadsters never made it to Canada so a lot of us, I am sure, would love to see photos and hear more of your driving experiences with this special little car.

hey guys joining from iowa just purchased another smart cdi i love these things im looking to make some big power out of this one hopefully!

Welcome!  I wouldn't mind knowing the last 6 of the VINs so I can keep my comprehensive 450 cdi database up to date (all 10,000+ of them!).

Hi, looking forward to the resources in this group.  We love our 2015 Smart Car, which we bought in May.  We have now put 3,000 miles on it and a present odometer reading of 30,000 miles.

smart_fortwo_in_mascouche_quebec_7_950_7830033465541490591.jpg

1 person likes this

Welcome to the club ....... You will find that this is a good place to Get questions answered or just connect with other smarties.

hi all , just joined "because" this is my first smart diesel project , just got it out of a wreck yard , no start condition ...

IMG_8884.jpg

Edited by mvdp
my bad , wrong pic , sunset in Sooke BC !

Hi, Ron from Trenton Ont.  Canada, I recently bought my 06 smarty fortwo passion cdi diesel with the excitement of fuel economy. I work on all my cars as best a backyard mechanic can do. I pride myself as having a descent eye for used cars and not scared to work on them as that's all I can afford,  e.i.97 Toyota camray 140000 original kl and 98 Dakota sport 327000kl, 07 Mazda 6 340000 kl , all running like a top,   But this one has me stumped with 3 bars flashing on dash X5 in the 2 month I have owned it and as lately po401 code EGR valve, next to no heat. Is this common with these cars or have I just got a lemon. I love this car if not only for the thumbs up or long stares or even the point and laughs. Im not giving up on it and I cant find a service manual so any and all help will be greatly appreciate       

Welcome to the club!

The 3 bars flashing indicates '' that there is a fault in the gearshift system''......https://www.evilution.co.uk/Electrical/3_lines_on_the_speedo.htm

In my experience the clutch actuator is the usual culprit. That's where I would look first. There are only 3 torq10 bolts holding it on - I suggest using heat before using too much force on the removal. When the actuator is rem'd you can check to see if the rod has holed the release bearing.

Lots of advice on the site re: the egr.

And yes, the little diesel doesn't throw out a lot of heat - that's normal.

It gets better in the warm weather. Enjoy!! 

Hi folks,

new member checking in.

Based near Manchester in the UK, owned my 2002 Smart City Coupe for 12 years.

So far, I've had to do surprisingly little to it. Two sets of front springs, an ABS ring and the sump is looking a little rusty but not leaking yet so that is on the to-do list. Only has 65k miles (105k km), all seems well at the moment.

Now semi-retired (the car, not me - sadly), it currently has a fairly easy life but still sees reasonable use so long as there isn't salt on the roads.

Cheers!

host.jpg