Xandria

Come, Say HI

1,101 posts in this topic

Hmmm... I guess this is what I'm supposed to do. :rolleyes: I got a 2005 Passion with only 24,400 km on it. Although I have been horrified reading about the costs of maintenance and repairs I find it is a BLAST to drive and it's SOOOO cute too, unlike me. I do have a few ?s though:

1. When do I upshift? When the arrow indicates to do so, or when it reaches something like 2500 rpm or 3000 rpm?

2. Do I need to downshift when stopping like at a red light? It appears to do well enough itself.

3. The owner's manual says that I should turn off the ignition if I'm going to be stopped for more than ten seconds. Would this not create extra wear on the starter or other parts?

4. How does the fuel gauge work? Right now, only the bottom bubble is filled after 300 km of driving, indicating that it is almost empty, but the reserve indicator hasn't started yet. If it is almost empty the mileage is nowhere near as good as I expected, but if that last bubble clears before the last 5 liters it would be better. I was counting on fuel savings to pay for most of the car, as well as the $100 oil changes :o !

5. How long should the engine run before driving off on a cold day? I'm used to starting it and letting it run while cleaning ice and snow from it but the owner's manual specifically says NOT to do this.

6. The stereo does not work at all. :-( It appears as if the battery was disconnected (as the clock was also an hour and a half slow) and it needs the anti-theft code. Who do I need to beat over the head to get this code?? The dealer I bought it from asked Mercedes last Friday and hasn't heard anything back yet.

post-7549-1259773414_thumb.jpg

I noticed my #5 ? answered elsewhere so let me substitute another: Would "gas line antifreeze" be useful or could it damage anything? The bottles say that it is suitable for either gasoline or diesel fuel. If I were to use it I guess I should only use half a bottle at a time since the capacity of the fuel tank is less than half of many cars.

Welcome! The smart is one of the most fun cars to drive. Upshift when the arrow tells you too.You can accerate to a higher RPM,like when merging onto the freeway, but shifting when the arrow tells you to saves fuel. As a safety feature ,the car will shift to a higher gear at a wide open throttle,in order to not destroy the engine(in case a person forgets to shift up).There is no need to downshift at red lights,as the car will do this for you.You CAN turn off the ignition when stopped for longer than thirty seconds, but i would only do this, if waitng for a train, or when you are stuck in traffic.Any amount of idling equals: O miles per gallon!Replacing a starter motor on a smart is extreamly expensive.like $1000.00(!),as the motor has to be removed to do this. Learning to drive the smart with a light foot,and a steady speed, will save a lot of fuel. Anticipating when the traffic is going to stop,or start again, without you having to start or stop, will also save fuel.I have gotten up to 65.5 MPG in the city,during the summer. Your winter milage will be less,as you will often be using the 'electric heater- booster'. When the heater temperature-lever is pushed all the way to the right,an indicater lights up on the dash, to show that it is on. This uses more fuel.Once your interior is warm enough,move the lever just slightly back to the left,untill the light goes out,in order to save more fuel. There is no use in letting a Diesel engine idle for more than 30 seconds,when really cold,as it won't warm up unless it is DRIVEN.Idling also wastes fuel. Use the engine block-heater in the winter. Smart recomends 2 hours,for temperatures from O celcius,to minus 10 celcius, and 3 hours for all temperatures below minus 10 celcius.This also helps the engine warm up faster,and and throws heat faster.(and pollutes less). If your car does NOT have the heated seats, then go out and buy a cheap heated-seat pad,for about 20 bucks, that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. Ice and snow tires are a must on the smart car, because the factory tires are Summer tires only,NOT all season.The smart's short wheelbase,and light weight ,as well as slightly lower ride height is also a contributing factor. The dealer should be able to get the radio 'code'. The radio may have to be activated.If your car has the optional 'sound pakage',which includes the litltle 'tweeters' on top of the dash;(two of them),and the better in- dash speakers, they also may need to be 'activated'. This latter thing you can do yourself,following instructions in the owner's maual,or from info on this web-site. Have fun with your smart. They can be addicting.I know,as iv'e owned four of them!!

Edited by PrairieBoy

'Gas line'antifreeze,should not be used in a diesel smart. Always fill up your fuel tank with diesel yourself,at a self serve pump. This way you can take your time,and fill it ALL the way full. Diesel foams up,when your tank is being filled.If you let it sit for a minute,after the pump nozzle clicks off,then you can SLOWLY fill it up again ,untill it's really full. Also,with the newer smarts being gas powered, some idiot at the service station,may accidenally fill your diesel car with gas!!If this ever happens,DON'T start the engine,and have the car hauled to a Mercedes- Benz dealer for service.Running a diesel engine with gas in it ,can result in very expensive fuel-pump replacement.

Running a diesel additive for winter will not harm the engine, will remove moisture, keep the fuel from gelling and depending on the product increase the Cetane level to improve winter fuel mileage. I only use the winter additive once the temperatures are below freezing.

Thanks for the responses! :)

I've been tending to upshift when the engine approaches 3000 rpm because it kind of creeps me out to see it go any higher, plus it saves me not noticing the arrow and forgetting. There have been a few times when I definitely did it at the wrong time as it took a while for the car to resume speed. I guess I only need to downshift when I'm going to slow down and maintain that speed for a while.

What, exactly, is "lugging the engine"? I've learned here that it's a no-no, but I'm not sure what it is.

Is this "winter diesel additive" something I can get at Canuck Tire? I was concerned about the fuel gelling as it happened to me in a truck. I needed to get the truck towed to a Ford dealer in NE Oklahoma where it took several hours for it to thaw and for them to do mods to the fuel line to reduce the chances of that happening again. Fortunately it wasn't my truck so I didn't have to pay.

I figured out the fuel gauge myself. It only has 1.0 liter left, I hope I can make it to my usual gas station 6-8 km away. I guess I can always bring old oil from the deep fryer in case I need it. :lol: It appears to be going 20 km per liter, at least on the highway.

The biggest problem now is the stereo! How long should it take to get this code? The dealer where I bought the car asked almost a week ago. I'm finding it boring driving 45 minutes at a time on the 401 without it. :(

Lugging = car would not accelerate virtually at all if you try, usually the downshift arrow would be flashing at you too.

Some folks have driven their smart for a while when the fuel gauge reads 0- litres left.I always got into the habit of filling up the tank when it gets down to one blob on the gauge. If you don't live near a service station that sells diesel,you could buy a large yellow plastic jerry can,fill it,and keep it at home. The yellow can is for diesel fuel.You can take this along with you on a long trip,if your not sure who carries diesel.None of this is really nessesary,as most places sell diesel.Lugging the engine is when you refuse to shift down,after the car is telling to downshift with the arrow pointing down. I believe the owner's manual also tells you the ideal RPMs for shifting,in order to save fuel.You should read and study this book carefully,as there is a lot of info like this,unique to this little car. Does your car have a little button,right on the side of the gearshift lever?If so,this button is for the'Automatic' function of the gearbox.When pushed,an 'A' appears in the instrument cluster,and the car will shift up,and down completely without any input from you.Just like an automatic transmission. If your car does'nt have this feature, a dealer can install this for you,although it will cost you some coin.If you took your car to a Mercedes- Benz dealer for the radio code, they should be able to get it right away, either by a phone call to Mercedes-Benz,or by looking up your car's info on their computer.I would give then a phone call . Good luck, and have fun!!

I'm finding I rarely see the arrows to shift! I'll see it to go from 1 to 2 but I won't see it from 2-3, 3-4, etc, even when it's up to 4500 rpm. I'll usually shift it myself by 3500 rpm as I don't want it going into the red. There have been a few times when I think I shifted it too soon as it takes a while, like 15-20 seconds, to resume speed afterwards but not often. I assume going uphill at the time has something to do with this as well. I didn't see anything in the owner's manual but I can look again.

Is it legal and safe to carry diesel fuel in a jerry can while driving? Someone told me it's now illegal to carry gasoline like that. Even though I appear to be only using half the fuel as before, the tank is only a third the size so I'll be filling every 4-5 days instead of every 7-8. Being able to carry fuel in a jerry can, even if I left it at home until I needed it, would save me many stops. I ran it down to 1.0 liter last night because I didn't want to get fuel in the rain. Being able to carry extra would help with that too. It's legal to carry vegetable oil so it should be legal for diesel fuel as well. :lol: Also, would it need to be a special can for the diesel fuel? I already have a 10 l and a 20 l gas can.

As for the stereo, I only hope Mercedes doesn't charge me $$$ for the code. I'm wondering why I haven't heard from the dealer where I got it.

As i mentioned previously, a YELLOW plastic fuel can ,is the one for diesel. I bought mine at Canadian Tire,or Princess Auto, i don't remember which store.Diesel is much less flammable than gas. I'ts harder to ignite, and fumes from diesel won't probably 'blow- up' like gas fumes. If you do carry a can full of diesel in your vehicle, be very carefull when filling it up, not get ANY on the outside of the can,as it stinks terrible.you don't want to smell up your car. It may be ok to fill up the red gas can with diesel,as long as you label it as such.I don't know the legalities of this.Did you buy your car from a Mercedes-Benz dealer? They are the only ones who can help with the radio code.They may have to remove the radio,and look at it's exterior for serial numbers, in order to get the proper code from Mercedes.It sounds like your dealer doesn't know much about smart cars!

Edited by PrairieBoy

I already have two red gas cans which I now have no use for. Now that I have a car and double the insurance costs (!) to pay for I need to save money wherever I can so I'd like to avoid getting a third fuel can if possible. It would appear as if it would be much safer to carry diesel fuel in a gas can than gas itself. My main concern is if the cans need to be purged. They are empty but they still smell of gas. The 10 liter one hasn't been used in over a year or two and the 20 liter one was used last month.As for the stereo, I got the car from a HYUNDAI dealer of all places! Although I find Hyundais to be pieces of ... uh, I think you know what!, this particular dealership is known for especially good USED cars. The used car manager is apparently very sharp and has a reputation for getting good deals. I just called the saleman who sold me the car and he said that they tried to contact the Mercedes dealer several times but they don't get back to him. We both find this surprising as they likely get a Hyundai once in a while that they would need help with, unless there is another Hyundai dealer around the corner from them.

The Dangerous Goods Transportation Act allows an exemption to having placards on the 4 sides of your vehicle as well as documentation and carrying your training certificate for these small means of containment. The exemption goes out the window though if it is in a mislabeled container (such as diesel in a gasoline can) or if the container is not secured to prevent a spill (tipping over) or if the caps are not sealed well (or no caps at all). Most of the DGTA charges start at $500 and go up fast from there.

There is no need to purge your red gas can. Just put a small amount of Diesel in it, swish it around real good,and dump it out. You need to take your smart car to a MERCEDES-BENZ dealer,and they will be happy to get your radio code and fix the radio.There may be a small charge for this,although if you are very nice to them,and tell them you will get your servicing done at their dealership,they may do it for free. I'm 53 years old,and i have NEVER had ANY kind of problem or hassle from ANY authorities about occasionaly carring a fuel can in my vehicle.They know we have to fill them up at a service station, and transport it home.Just make sure you 'Tag' it as to the kind of contents. I have bought a little 'Tag' or label kit from Canadian Tire. It consisted of two plastic things that easily attach to any kind of fuel can.The kit came with a large assortment of self-adhesive labels that are stuck to the plastic thing that goes on to the can's handle.

They must do things differently in the prairies. Where are you recommending he dumps this, in the field or in the ditch or maybe in the lake itself? Please when you make these suggestions please also insist that he drives his Prius that day. It would make a great picture on the front page of www.prairiewaternews.ca don't ya think?

The tiny bit of diesel that he may'dump out', is less than the amount spilled onto the concrete pad at every service station in the country, every day! So don't have a cow man! But your right. It may not be enviromentally correct to 'dump it out'.

I saw cans for kerosene (blue) at Canuck Tire but no yellow ones for diesel. Would it be more environmentally friendly to use vegetable oil to rinse it out? :-)I spoke with the guy at the Mercedes dealer myself. He said that the one at Head Office who does the stereo codes is on vacation. I hope that is the case and he's back on Monday because driving without a stereo is making me go bonkers. I guess I could put a small portable one on the seat next to me and plug it into the cig lighter socket but it wouldn't be the same.I was able to get some winter diesel additive which should last me until April as it said it will do 475 liters of fuel. TG I have a few of those medicine cups from NyQuil around to measure it. I also got a liter of Mobil 1 0W40 pure synthetic oil for $9.50 in case I need to top it up. TG I also got a Canuck Tire $$$ coin for free, too. :D

If the gasoline residue is just a few oz or less, you don't need to remove it at all. It will not harm your car. Bil :sun:

I saw cans for kerosene (blue) at Canuck Tire but no yellow ones for diesel. Would it be more environmentally friendly to use vegetable oil to rinse it out? :-)I spoke with the guy at the Mercedes dealer myself. He said that the one at Head Office who does the stereo codes is on vacation. I hope that is the case and he's back on Monday because driving without a stereo is making me go bonkers. I guess I could put a small portable one on the seat next to me and plug it into the cig lighter socket but it wouldn't be the same.

You can get the right can it you want one, yellow for diesel is what you want. CND tire sells them. Farm supply stores too. Maybe they are out, have em order one in. Like mentioned though, Smelly Diesel inside the car is not what I would want. I hate when I get a hand bath in it when the nozzle splashes back. And I also have Jet fuel on my clothes from work sometimes. Stinks!As far as the radio code, you can get a radio removal tool (they look like two little wire prongs that fit in the two holes on each side of the radio front face) any stereo install shop will have them, and CND tire too. You slip them in and release the holding clips and the radio will slide out so you can get the S/N off the radio. Armed with that, any MB dealer service adviser can call or email MB and get your radio code. Should be N/C. If they have to pull the radio for you, they may charge you 30 min labour. I can take them a few hrs to get the code. They emailed it to me the next day.Good luck!Bill

Has anyone ever seen a 5 L yellow diesel canister? 22L is to big for me.

good day. glad to join other smart owners. recently purchased a 2005 passion diesel. greatest buy i ever made.i am in rycroft alberta, 6 hours north of edmonton. hopr to learn a lot from other smart ownerscheers

Welcome to the club!I hope your smart has heated seats and an oil pan heater :D

Hi Everyone......Also just joined from Edmonton AB. We have a 2006 Cabrio Pulse and have logged almost 90 000 km so far. Looking forwards to meeting other owners and tapping into the collective knowlege.