Xandria

Come, Say HI

996 posts in this topic

Welcome!  Manchester eh...we used to have a relative living in Poynton but they moved to the other side of the Peak District National Park about a couple of decades ago.

1 person likes this

Looking good Jonus!  Welcome to the club.

1 person likes this

Many thanks for the welcome, folks!

47 minutes ago, MikeT said:

Welcome!  Manchester eh...we used to have a relative living in Poynton but they moved to the other side of the Peak District National Park about a couple of decades ago.

What a coincidence, Poynton is only a few miles from here! The centre was designated as a "shared space" a few years ago meaning that neither cars nor pedestrians have priority over the other. Seems to work, though you have to have your wits about you!

1 person likes this

Welcome from an expat, Uttoxeter was my home for a few years, uncle has a farm near there.....was a beautifull area many decades ago......Manchester was a place I steered clear of, as I'm not a huge city lover......lol.
Again welcome and enjoy the club and forum.

1 person likes this

Thanks Willys! I'm actually just south of Manchester, pretty much on the Manchester/Cheshire border. I quite like Manchester as far as cities go, but am always quite happy to escape the hustle and bustle!

Chester is a great place, we really like it there.

8 hours ago, MikeT said:

Chester is a great place, we really like it there.

Agreed, lovely city. Has a great feeling about it.

Apparently, in Chester, you can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls after midnight. That said, I wouldn't try it!

ooh that's a bit harsh....

Well, time to come out of the shadows.

A friend was going to dump his 2005 450 cdi, so I offered to buy it from him on delayed payment.

As luck would have it, I wound up being in a position to help him during a serious rough patch and he donated the car to me.

From his description of the last set of problems he had before he parked it, I suspect it's got the issue with the clutch actuator cable going through the fork.

(I can't wait to see what that actually means LOL!)

He'd parked it for at least a year, possibly more, and I've had it parked for a year or two.  Battery's dead.  Key battery's dead.  Diesel in the tank is probably inflammable goo.

So we've got to spend some time and money before we get the privilege of spending some time and money to get the privilege of spending time and less money driving it.

But -- my budget has finally turned a corner and I think I am going to be able to start working on it.  I'm giddy like a schoolboy (yes, I'm 54).

WMEAJ00F25J154685

The intro thingy said to share what brings me to the SmartCar.

82mpg is what.  An engineering marvel.  I wonder what I'll actually get.  But just to get this small piece of joy running -- OMG I can't wait!

And its a FirstGen Canadian Diesel -- as I understand it, the highest MPG rating of the line.  (Does smartzuum really get 100 MPG??)

I'm in Parma, Ohio, USA -- a suburb just a bit south and west of Cleveland, and a short 4 hrs 49 min drive to Toronto. 

So if it's got A/C, I may need to contend with the older A/C system (I don't know if the "permanent fix" with the new tubes and O-Ring has been installed, but with 141K miles [226K km], I won't hold my breath that the repair would necessarily be free); and I'll need to contend with heater issues (former owner mentioned something about using oven warming stones on the dashboard?) and will probably need to learn how to apply the Tolsen restrictor and other such goodies. 

They allow studded tires here 01-Nov through 30-Apr so if it gets wonky with non-studded winter tires, I might be in for that as well -- though I may switch to the Jeep for the snowy days.  I guess we'll see.

Welcome to the club!!

I hate to burst your bubble but the mpg of the cdi for most people is in the range of about 4 litres/100kms or about 60 mpg(us).

''Does smartzuum really get 100 MPG??'' - I believe that was only achieved by driving at a steady 78kph across the flat Canadian prairies.

That being said it is a ''An engineering marvel'' and is a joy to drive! In fact it can be addicting!!!!

Good luck with your adventure! :drive:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

100mpgs....I don't know if that's possible even with a feather on the gas pedal and a serious tail wind...lol...but I can get it down to 80mpgs when in no rush what so ever...lol...which is my usual now.....I'm old also. Got you beat by 6 years... If and when you can, pick yourself up a scangageII that will definately help you regulate your right foot and how you actually drive the slug! Which it is off the mark but after moving up to 30-40mph it is perfectly acceptable  for an old guy. It's the MPGs that will regulate your thought about how fast you wish to drive it.....that scangageII shows you actual and average fuel consumption rates  while driving and that is where my eyes seem to live while driving it.....simply seeing how low I can get it to get down to. I can easily get it down to 3.5 litres per hundred kilometers which works out to simply fantastic MPGs 75 or so...occasionally I get it below that lol.  I find you must drive it using standard mode and my best is using the stick not the paddles for some reason, don't know why it just feels beter...? Oh, I also use good diesel additive every other tank full which I think is helping give me these MPG numbers, just 50ml per tank, not much at all. Anoher thing you will love is, even up here being raped for fuel prices it costs me less than $20 to fill it up, so stoping at a gas staion is a pleasure!  I also haven't driven it in the snow yet, but studded tires aren't allowed up here  unfortunately lol. That would be too easy...lol. Glenn, Smart142 is the man to see or ask about all things Smart.....I bought my car from him this spring, absolutely excellent car and person to deal with. You're welcome ...lol.  I live an hour or so north of Toronto and it's mostly flat with soft rolling hills around me, so that'll tell you why I possibly get the MPGs I get. I also drive 10 over the speed limit which is either 30 or 50 posted MPH and 60 on the highways....I would go after everything electrical first without spending much to diagnose your issues then get into the mechanical. imho it'll be the electrical that'll cost the most to repair....again imho.   But after you sort the electrical gremlins out the rest is typical mechanical issues similar to any car......that clutch fork issue can be solved by increasing the pushrod diameter by adding a knob onto the rod from what I have read on Evilution's site, or you could do it right and weld up the fork if you are mechanically inclined. There are plenty of good sites for solid mechanical help so the lack of a soild manual isn't that much of a hinderance, a pain but not a deal breaker.  You will require to buy some good torx sockets and drivers, don't buy cheap ones they will only strip then you have an issue.  I hate torx...lol.

Sorry to go on....just rambling what i have found out so far.

Next question is, what jeep, coming from an old jeep nut...?

Edited by Willys
1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Willys said:

Sorry to go on....just rambling what i have found out so far.

Next question is, what jeep, coming from an old jeep nut...?

Please, keep rambling.  It juices up the yearning to get this wee beastie moving again.  :: bounce ::  :: bounce ::  :: bounce ::  

As to the Jeep -- my wife has the 2005 Wrangler 2-door Unlimited (longer wheel base but not the monster 4-door, trap-you-in-the-rocks length), and I have the 2006.  She's got soft-top, mine's got hard-top, though I'm looking to get a soft top for trailing.  The picture of my 450 above show a slice of my Jeep.

For now, I've got 31s, she's got 33s, and neither is yet lifted or locked.  She plans to put Dana 60s on hers; I probably will too. 

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket.

SMART = Sometimes My Arse Really Torques?  Sing Me A Rousing Tune?  Shifter Malfunction And Ruined Transmission?

Hee hee I can't wait to get this lil' guy up 'n running.

I'm starting to realize that keeping it running forever could be difficult, as parts will eventually become hard to come by.  Reading through bmwmilos's work on the rebuild, and the trouble getting it to quit leaking oil, made me realize that this isn't a car where you just grind out to .030 or .060 over and run down to the part store to pick up ready-made replacements.  I get the distinct impression she's got to fit back together more or less the way she was built, and every micrometer you grind away from the block or cylinder is a permanent scar on her heart.

Still, I'm excited about the prospect of getting this puppy back on the road where she belongs.

17 hours ago, smart142 said:

Welcome to the club!!

I hate to burst your bubble but the mpg of the cdi for most people is in the range of about 4 litres/100kms or about 60 mpg(us).

''Does smartzuum really get 100 MPG??'' - I believe that was only achieved by driving at a steady 78kph across the flat Canadian prairies.

That being said it is a ''An engineering marvel'' and is a joy to drive! In fact it can be addicting!!!!

Good luck with your adventure! :drive:

Eh, bubbles are made for bursting.  I won't complain (too loudly) about 60 MPG.  But I will probably start turning my mind toward mods to improve mileage.  How can I lighten it, streamline it, etc.

Hmm.  At 8' 10", I guess I can't park it sideways in the 8' parking slots at work.  That would be a cool prankish thing to do.

Hello everyone  we live near mitchell ontario we just bought a 2006 smart for two and we are actually loving it with the exception of a stall issue. our bug just randomly dies while driving it, but we still have all the dash lights like it is still running. we have replaced the crankshaft sensor buy still does it. Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Welcome to the club, get in touch with Smart142 he's the man for all things Smart....excellent!  And close to you so to speak.   It seems all the members are in the southern Ontario area for the most part....lol.  Again welcome.....enjoy.

Welcome Dublinlady. 

We (a small group of 9 cars from Ontario, Kansas and Ohio) were through that area last Saturday on the second day of a two day run through the scenic areas of South-western Ontario. See this link  for some photos of places we visited during the run. (Post #4342.)

To echo Willys, smart142  is 'the man' to go to for all things smart.  No one else works on my smarties.

2 people like this

Hey fellow Smart car owners!

I reside in the lovely town of Keswick Ontario and I've recently picked up a previously loved 2006 Pulse Smart car. I'm very smitten by it but I've have just a few questions for all of you if I can pick your brains. 

-My car seems really loud, like exhaust wise. Is that normal? I've never owned a diesel car before so I don't know if the noise level is normal or if I got a hole in my exhaust.

-Is the stock car stereo and speakers not that uhhhh robust? I find myself cranking the volume to 36 to hear the music, or I'm going deaf. :P

-Sometimes I get a waft of diesel smell when I'm stopped at a light. It's brief then goes away and them comes back. I'm pretty sure I have the engine compartment closed tight so I dunno, I'm scratching my head on this one.

There any chance of having a Smart Car meet up? I'd be down!

Exhaust leak for sure, the exhaust in these cars is silent normally.

Welcome to the club Dynamomarl.

- The exhaust, as Mike T mentioned, is fairly quiet, so a leak is possible.

- The stock speakers are not concert level speakers but cranking them to 36 shouldn't be needed.  Even in my convertible smart with stock speakers and the top down, the volume is only up to about 28 or so, and I AM partially deaf. :)

- The diesel smell might be burned diesel or unburned fuel.  If it is unburned fuel, there may be a leak somewhere in the system or someone has spilled fuel in or around the car.  If it is a burned fuel smell, it could be just that you are downwind with the windows open when you come to a stop.

I know it is a relatively long trip from Keswick to London, but we do have monthly meets and have had some interesting runs in the past month or two.  If you are retired, It would be a nice drive down this way to meet up with a bunch of enthusiastic members.  Amongst the regular attendees are Liz and Glenn (Uncle Glenn to most of us), the go-to guy for all things (diesel) smart.

There are others in your area, I'm sure.  It's just a matter of finding and contacting them.

OH MY GOD....!!!!     FINALLY...!!!!

Hey Neighbor....Welcome to the site....but I live so far from you I'm almost positive we'll never meet....Pefferlaw...? Yep I know, too far right...lol.