Xandria

Come, Say HI

1,029 posts in this topic

Welcome the the site, you made a good choise.....another great site for all things technical is Evilution.uk.co ......pay for their lowest donation, yes worth every penny.

There and many great people here willing and capable of helping in every way you may require.

Ah, Maple Ridge.  Home to the late and VERY great INDY car racer, Greg Moore.  Voted the most pleasant and talented  racer to grace the North American tracks in decades.

Met him a few times and he even took my vintage competition motorcycle for a ride. (see photo)

Meanwhile, back to the topic ...... :welcome: to the club. Enjoy your stay.

Greg Moore at Speeders 01.jpg

Hi Everyone!

Fresh new recruit of the Smart Car army here: I have just bought a 2006 CDI fortwo passion as my first car. Had 155.000 km on it and It needed a steering tie rod on driver's side and a new exhaust pipe (guy who sold it to me had a straight pipe bolted on instead, which makes it sound funny).

Car seemed to have had a decent servicing history but I plan to do some intake system cleaning (will it clean the EGR?), an engine flush and a diesel purge cycle. 

What's the reason for cleaning the intake?  I haven't needed to do that in 400,000 km of diesel smart motoring.  The EGR will have to be removed to clean it.

1 hour ago, autovel said:

Hi Everyone!

Fresh new recruit of the Smart Car army here: I have just bought a 2006 CDI fortwo passion as my first car. Had 155.000 km on it and It needed a steering tie rod on driver's side and a new exhaust pipe (guy who sold it to me had a straight pipe bolted on instead, which makes it sound funny).

Car seemed to have had a decent servicing history but I plan to do some intake system cleaning (will it clean the EGR?), an engine flush and a diesel purge cycle. 

Welcome to the club. 

I'm not sure if you have an interest in meeting other smarties from the southern Ontario area, but if you are, feel free to join us at The Docks in Bayfield.  October 1st at 6:30pm.  Click on the link for address and sign in. :)

23 hours ago, MikeT said:

What's the reason for cleaning the intake?  I haven't needed to do that in 400,000 km of diesel smart motoring.  The EGR will have to be removed to clean it.

The duct where the EGR meets the intake duct has a dark greasy leak (like engine oil) out of it: have no idea how the valve looks like inside but and at least for now there are no dash lights on.

Was thinking of using Liqui Moly Diesel Intake System Cleaner to clean up the whole intake. Also the air filter is soaked in greasy black dirt; guy who owned before was a construction worker and farm owner  (front radiator was packed with of hay !!)

He must have recently changed the cabin filter because it looked new

22 hours ago, Leadwing said:

Welcome to the club. 

I'm not sure if you have an interest in meeting other smarties from the southern Ontario area, but if you are, feel free to join us at The Docks in Bayfield.  October 1st at 6:30pm.  Click on the link for address and sign in. :)

Would very much appreciate to join but I still have to get the car on my name and most importatly get my G2 licence! 

Edited by autovel
typo

Oil on the air filter likely means someone tried to refill the tank through the air filter hole!  I would not concern yourself with the oily crap in the intake.

Hi, I am new to this Group, New to Smart cars but almost 70. Just bought my first Smart car ( cheap ), as it obviously has a problem, so hope to speak to some techies in here and find out as much as I can about My car.

The Guy who I bought it from said that he had a new head gasket done 5 weeks prior to selling it to me, yet it is still smoking, Its a petrol 450, the smoke is grey, no evidence of mayo in the Oil or water, so am I wrong thinking turbo/EGR valve. 

smart  car.jpg

Welcome to the club and site.

I am not a techie (mechanic) so I will let more knowledgeable people answer your questions.

Difficult to diagnose from afar, but grey smoke is more indicative of a fuelling problem.

It's a RHD car, so it'll be a petrol engine.  EGR is ordinarily quite reliable on the 0.6 and 0.7 petrol units, though never say never.  Indeed, head gasket problems are fairly unusual on these, unless the car has developed a leak, dumped its coolant, and the driver has ploughed on regardless and cooked the engine,

Does it otherwise run OK? Is it losing any oil or water? Is the smoke constant, or does it clear as the motor warms up?

1 person likes this

Head gasket had been done, so now I look to the PCV valve, or the timing is out. Losing no oil or water. smokes more with more revs. Only 68,000 miles and I am the 3rd owner.

On 9/26/2019 at 2:22 PM, Chopper said:

Difficult to diagnose from afar, but grey smoke is more indicative of a fuelling problem.

It's a RHD car, so it'll be a petrol engine.  EGR is ordinarily quite reliable on the 0.6 and 0.7 petrol units, though never say never.  Indeed, head gasket problems are fairly unusual on these, unless the car has developed a leak, dumped its coolant, and the driver has ploughed on regardless and cooked the engine,

Does it otherwise run OK? Is it losing any oil or water? Is the smoke constant, or does it clear as the motor warms up?

1 person likes this

Simply replacing a head gasket won't normally fix a head issue, warpage or a crack both things are possible....sorry to say.   Plus if your past owners thought the choke lever was a handbag hanger they could have glazzed the cylinders by leaving the choke on too long. It doesn't take long at speed to wash the cylinders of lubricating oils and thus glazing them. Again sorry. Once glazed the oil wiper rings won't seal, also all rings won't seal and power will be down. IF you have a scope you can sometimes see this if you can get the scope inside the cylinders.  Also maybe a scratched bore...? Again seen using a scope?  Whats the compression like? Maybe someone is putting too much oil in it at changes?  Valve stem seals and or guides?    There are so many places that could cause smoking engines.

I'm now the owner of a 2006 Smart fortwo CDi Pure. Its red and black and has approx 130450kms. Its in pretty good shape overall, still needs some work like replace the brake light switch and align the headlights and then it might pass the roadworthy inspection. The former owner had tried to install a new water pump and belts but was unable to get the 7 bolts out of the pump.... but after I lowered the engine by following the tips from Evilution and   FQ101.CO.UK    then  I was able to remove the old pump.  I installed the water pump pulley using standard octagonal head metric bolts with spring washers and cut to the same length as the original torx head bolts. The octagonal head bolts make it easier to remove the pulley and to access the pump body bolts. After installing the new belts everything works and it runs quite well.

These little cars could become collector cars in a few years. They are fun to drive for sure and I cannot wait to get this little diesel on the road.The nearest Mercedes dealer is 400km away in Halifax.

Edited by ozca2

3 minutes ago, ozca2 said:

I'm now the owner of a 2006 Smart fortwo CDi Pure. Its red and black and has approx 130450kms. Its in pretty good shape overall, still needs some work like replace the brake light switch and align the headlights so that the car will pass the roadworthy inspection. The former owner had tried to install a new water pump and belts but was unable to get the bolts out of the pump. after lowering the engine by following the tips from Evilution and http://www.fq101.co.uk/ .

These little cars could become collector cars in a few years. They are fun to drive for sure and I cannot wait to get this little diesel on the road.The nearest Mercedes dealer is 400km away in Halifax.

Welcome to the site....yes it's a fun little scoot, and the fuel numbers will surprise you I'm sure.....once you get it running well you should see close to 80MPGs.  

On 12/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, smart142 said:

Welcome to the club? :drive:

Are you close to Sydney?

Thanks for the welcome. Near Whycocomagh and thats about 80km away. Your little driver is pretty good at gear changes!!

On 12/15/2019 at 9:09 AM, Willys said:

Welcome to the site....yes it's a fun little scoot, and the fuel numbers will surprise you I'm sure.....once you get it running well you should see close to 80MPGs.  

Hi Willys, thank you for the welcome. As you would also know, these cars are #@%&& to work on but once you get them running and take it for a drive all of the bad goes away. I live on a private road and my mailbox is about a km away so thats my daily fun drive.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, ozca2 said:

Thanks for the welcome. Near Whycocomagh and thats about 80km away. 

You might want to contact a member here '' Sydney'' - that's where he lives. 

I believe he now owns 3 diesel smarts and is becoming proficient at repairs and maintenance.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:56 PM, smart142 said:

I believe he now owns 3 diesel smarts and is becoming proficient at repairs and maintenance.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:56 PM, smart142 said:

Thanks, I believe I have been in contact with "Sydney" and he does own a few diesel Smarts, we are going to meet next time I'm over at Sydney the City.

Edited by ozca2

Hello!

I’m Pete, and I’m new to the forum and New to smart car world. 

I have a 2010 ForTwo Highstyle. I believe there are only around 33 of these on the road in the UK! 

Looking forward to browsing the topics here! I already have a few questions lined up. 

2DFBD386-436B-43ED-85E7-440912AAF397.jpeg

1 person likes this

Welcome to the site and all I can say is STUNNING.....!!!!
WOW.....!!!!!     Love it.....!

Hi Pete and welcome.  I also like the colour combination.  There was a Highstyle available for sale here about six months ago.   I was sooooo tempted to buy it, but it was on a car lot where the company has a very poor customer relations department.  (They're a bunch of crooks) LOL

Thanks!

I was lucky and got mine locally (the dealership was about 3 miles from me) and they had very good service and reviews. Only 18k miles on the clock! 

I think I made the right choice. I love the brown outside, and the grey leather interior. And the 1.0 litre turbo engine is lots of fun! 

I’ve managed about 60 miles on half a tank, not sure if that’s good or not, the journeys I’ve done it it have mostly been stop/starting in traffic!