Xandria

Come, Say HI

1,043 posts in this topic

The one that was available here had about 13,000 kms on it. 

I presume the gas tank is the same size over there as it is here ... 33 liters ( 7.3 Imp. gallons)  If that's the case, then 60 miles on half a tank is not good.  You might want to fill it then drive it for a 60 mile (100km) drive then fill it again and see how much you have used.  This will give you a more accurate idea of the consumption rates than going by the gas gauge.  The Highstyle also comes with a standard start/stop system which shuts down the engine when the vehicle is stationary, presumably to aid in gas mileage.

Smart highStyle 01.jpg

Smart highStyle 02.jpg

Thanks for that, it’s an interesting read. 

I have the 84hp version so it doesn’t have the start stop unfortunately. However I did complete a longer journey on the weekend on much faster roads and got a lot better mileage! 

Once you become accustomed to the car and the shift points, I'm sure your mileage will increase dramatically.  (OK, maybe not dramatically, but you should notice a difference after getting used to it)

1 hour ago, iPete86 said:

Thanks for that, it’s an interesting read. 

I have the 84hp version so it doesn’t have the start stop unfortunately. However I did complete a longer journey on the weekend on much faster roads and got a lot better mileage! 

Also use fuel additive to help keep fuel system clean....engines bung up with little use. They may run but never as good as they should unless owners use the correct conditioners and storage additives etc etc......it took me  maybe 5 tanks to get mine to get much better mileage numbers but it is fantastic now. Yes mine is diesel but gasoline is the same, it breaks down and gums up the fuel system also.   Just a thought.

Greetings from Greece.

I've been reading this forum for a while now and I decide to sign up. 

My name is Manos I own a workshop at Greece and do mostly smart cars. 

We have plenty of smart cars here. I would be glad to share to knowledge with you. 

1 person likes this

Welcome.  Where in Greece are you located?

Hi Sealife here 

...wonderful to see all the great sharing of info here!

just bought a 2006 fourtwo diesel 

Ended up  with the car by accident. lol... one friend desperately needed the car gone   as she was moving   it had to go immediately,   another young friend wanted to become  a mechanic and wanted a car to work on.  i thought oh this will work fine and agreed to buy the car sight unseen, thinking what could possibly go wrong with this noble idea . help out two friends in need.

hired a truck to pick up the car (an all day thing including 2 ferries). Got to the location and got car started with all sorts of warning lights on and it was belching blue smoke and running on what sounded like 2 cylinders  and a flat tire

Hmmm that doesnt sound good i thought.

i called the previous owner to ask why it ran like that...  dont know she said it did run 2 years ago, i did run it /very low out of oil  at one point maybe that's why.

well that news didn't make my day!  and i was already hundreds of dollars into the fltdeck   truck costs by then. we loaded it up anyway   as id promised to remove it.

so here i am hat in hand and looking for your talented assistance with this puzzling car.

wondered if all the smoke might be  caused by oil running into exhaust as i have seen once before on a motorcycle. after driving the piss out of the car for a few minutes the smoke did go away and now it was running on what sounded like 3 cylinders and gaining in power with each km.

the abs and engine light is on but the engine sounds good with some air in the tires now the car drives well too. Yeah! 

the abs and engine light are needing attention next. 

id like  to check the codes and  i won't be going to mercedes!!!

any suggestion for buying a decent code reader that will work on this car? maybe also on other vehicles?

thanks in advance for your input!

51 minutes ago, sealife said:

any suggestion for buying a decent code reader that will work on this car? maybe also on other vehicles?

my main reader is a foxwell 630 elite but for diesel smarts i always preferred using a delphi ds150 with laptop

Welcome Sealife to the site.....you will find all you need here....just start a new thread in the correct forum for  your year and model and ask away, that's what we're here for. Your issues are typical and somewhat easy to fix or at least diagnose....so see you on your own thread....you'll get far better advice that way and all in one place.

When I bought my Smart the PO had removed the and fuse from the SAM because as he said didn't like how it drove in the wet or snow with it working.

I replaced the fuse and all the dash lights went out.

If a wheel slips the traction control kicks in and is part of the and that results in a derating of the motor and the and light and other warning lights coming on.

Once your past the slippage stag all guy does back to normal.

Check the fuse first to see if it's there or if it's burned out.

If it sat for 2 yrs a sticky valve isn't out of line and can free up with a bit of running giving you the 2 cyl then 3 effect.

Also motors that sit for long tend to smoke on start up and clear shortly afterward.

Remember these little diesels aren't very quick off the line or even over a distance I think they did 19.9 at best in a quarter mile maybe worse.

They can be tuned for more hp and speed.

Check the alternator hasn't seized up also common to these little cars.

If it has seized the belt might not be there and could trigger a dash light too.

The challenge with these is figuring out all their idiocies and solving them.

A ton of great information is on this site just do a search or ask lots of helpful people too.

1 person likes this

Cheers,

Bought a car on the list of cars I wanted to own. Lucky me it was one of these and a CDI at that.

2005 Smart Fortwo Passion CDI

Went looking for a parts car and behold, it was to good to strip so its become the car to learn on.

2006 Smart Fortwo Passion CDI - starting mods and could use info.

Thank you in advance.

SMARTS.jpeg

From the shine on the bodywork, it looks like it's in good shape.  Love the colour!.  I see another one in the background of your photo.  Is that to be the parts car? 

14 hours ago, phoreman said:

Cheers,

Bought a car on the list of cars I wanted to own. Lucky me it was one of these and a CDI at that.

2005 Smart Fortwo Passion CDI

Went looking for a parts car and behold, it was to good to strip so its become the car to learn on.

2006 Smart Fortwo Passion CDI - starting mods and could use info.

Thank you in advance.

SMARTS.jpeg

Welcome to the site, it's the best Smart CDI site on the planet seeing as we got the most CDI smarts I think.  I also love that bronze brown colour,  Hopefully it's not the car you wish to learn on, please if you want to deal that body work I'd be possibly interested in it. I have two cars also, one winter beater and a good summer car. Beater is black and the summer car is the steam green colour.

1 hour ago, Leadwing said:

From the shine on the bodywork, it looks like it's in good shape.  Love the colour!.  I see another one in the background of your photo.  Is that to be the parts car? 

1 hour ago, Willys said:

Welcome to the site, it's the best Smart CDI site on the planet seeing as we got the most CDI smarts I think.  I also love that bronze brown colour,  Hopefully it's not the car you wish to learn on, please if you want to deal that body work I'd be possibly interested in it. I have two cars also, one winter beater and a good summer car. Beater is black and the summer car is the steam green colour.

Well the (white) 05 is my wish car its the 1004th smart imported to Canada. I did want an earlier version plus it has just over 110K.

Sorry to say the Burgundy (06) one is my play toy/parts car. I bought it for $1500 and the alternator was seized. Since it was to nice of a car I couldn't rip it apart so it has become just as important. That being said let me tell and show you what it has inspired and has been done. My apologies in advance, I realize some things are sacrilegious.

2006 Smart Fortwo Coupe (W450) CDI
799cc I3 Diesel Engine
Turbo w/Intercooler @ 17.8 PSI
Compression Ratio :    18.5
Fuel Consumption -     3.4 L/100km / 69 mpg 
Weight-Power Output Ratio :    12.8 kg/hp

Malone Tune Stage 1
63HP @ 4200 rpm    96lb.ft @ 1800 - 2800 rpm

Straight pipe 2" glasspack exhaust tip
Bumper replacement w/integrated 2" hitch receiver

This has inspired me to tune the car the best way possible and yes I know it will never be a race car.

I would like to bring the turbo boost limit to 20PSI

Increase and overall fuel milage without loosing power

Add more bells and whistles

The big wish it to lear how to install a standalone management system.

If there is anyone that wants to add their two cents please... I'm open.

WhatsApp Video 2020-04-05 at 1.01.39 PM.mp4

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-05 at 12.57.45 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-05 at 12.57.45 PM.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

looks like someone made a hitch for it

strange to use a 2 inch instead of the smaller one but very very handy to have

i welded on a spring shackle side bar under my hitch to hook up safety chains...yours doesnt seem to have that so i assume the previous owner probably used it for bike rack or spare tire carrier

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Sounds like you have a rattle like noise after the RPMs start coming back down. As in after the tension on the oil chain/timing chain is released maybe?   That type of noise...?  Very hard to catch but ..maybe or i have heard something that isn't there...?

Just saying howdy to ya'all. I just joined. Bought the wife her 3rd Smart Fortwo 450 with busted engine. Fixed and fitted today and went for a test run. Great little car!

Hope to hang around here often. Considering the SoftTouch option for it .........

450 petrol or diesel? ..... :welcome: 

Got photos?  We are a nosey group.  We all like to see what other smart owners have. :)