Xandria

Come, Say HI

1,070 posts in this topic

There is a belt dressing (I don't know the brand name) that can be applied to the belt which should take care of the squeaking.  Most auto supply stores should carry their own version of this.

Hi, I'm Scott from the Ottawa area. My wife and I bought a 2005 ForTwo Cabriolet a five years ago while waiting for her hip surgery. We couldn't ride motorcycles and this looked fun. 

Our daughter claimed it for her own when she got her licence. She loves it. 

I've had issues like an alternator going, starter failing, water pump, and a crankshaft position sensor. Lucky for me, I'm a licenced Auto mechanic.  I dint know if I'd still have this care paying someone to fix it. 

I've joined this group in hopes to find a solution to my shifting issues and codes. The group has fulfilled my expectations! I'll post symptoms and repairs in a more suitable chat. 

Scott

Welcome from an old X-pat Ottawa survivor....augh!!!!!   Too many pot holes for a Smart Car imho.....I still have family living there......it is a risky business visiting them as you dodge 10" deep pot holes!!!   Orleans and Gateneau.....the worst by far!

Again Welcome.....

Hello, again...

I haven been since here for about 15 years but it looks like I posted a couple times in 2009. For those who remember me I HAD a 2006 that I got into an accident with...

Well.... I'M BACK!!!

On friday I take ownership of a 2016 Smart ForTwo Coupe it has less than 35,000.

I have 2 questions about my newish Smart...

1. I got it for under $9000 I think I got a deal... Did I?

2. I was just reading threw the owners manual and my question is... How imperative is it to use premium grade gasoline?

I watched something on marketplace about premium making no difference in a regular car.

One more question...

Do any of the oldtimers have the pic of our cross Canada relay when we stopped in Sudbury?

4 hours ago, MoJo said:

Hello, again...

I haven been since here for about 15 years but it looks like I posted a couple times in 2009. For those who remember me I HAD a 2006 that I got into an accident with...

Well.... I'M BACK!!!

On friday I take ownership of a 2016 Smart ForTwo Coupe it has less than 35,000.

2. I was just reading threw the owners manual and my question is... How imperative is it to use premium grade gasoline?

I watched something on marketplace about premium making no difference in a regular car.

Try not to go below 91 octane it's better for the engines performance and the oil  stays a little cleaner , been there done that.

1 person likes this

I would recommend a 91 octane fuel without ethanol.  I try to only run Shell in my 451.

Manx newby just my first Smart. 1999 LHD City Coupe, 600cc, silver Tridion, blue panels, orange interior. It's pretty much perfect for whizzing around our little roads, can't believe they're not more popular here.

Unfortunately, there's no service history with it other than a note in the logbook engine replaced approx 20,000km ago, so I'm progressing on the assumption that everything mechanical is worn out and about to break :-)  

186484416_10157640671926792_723168917607185088_n.jpg

186468636_10157640684901792_1534252700140283019_n.jpg

Welcome and maybe...lol. But yes they are a fun little car to drive when the speeds aren't an issue...lol.
Besides you can buy almost anything new to replace what breaks or is worn out. SW-SMART is the place I used to do just that!  I have a 2005 in the same colour scheme externally, that is...yours looks very clean!

On 5/20/2021 at 3:45 AM, MoJo said:

Hello, again...

Well.... I'M BACK!!!

Hi, I got a 2016 with almost identical specs to yours in TO back in March for CAD 7490 before tax and am very happy with it so far but it seems to be missing the usual cigarette lighter: is it cleverly hidden away or have smart dumped it? The reason I ask is because I want a power takeoff for a rearview backup system I want to install.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Venus

You don't have one of these?

How many Kms? Mine was after tax and licence fees.

20210601_185430-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

20210601_185436-1-1-1-1.jpg

Edited by MoJo

Hi there

Picked a Smart fortwo cdi back in the spring, planned on making a bush buggy out of it but it really grew on me and now it is my daily driver and my commute is like a trip to the go kart track!

Thanks for having such a great site!

20211007_170642.jpg

welcome to here

ive always thought the shell would make a nice cabin for an offroad machine too...like mounting it on a side by side frame or an old j5 

1 person likes this

Welcome to the best Smart Car site on the planet, e think.....lol  it is definately for the CDI versions 2005-2006....very nice looking car by the way.

Looselugnuts, I have also thought the very same thing, until I saw the price of a side by side...lol.....but any pre-Cj7 would be a good fit as I've had them all. Also a samurai would work well.   I just installed a 2" lift in my good car and made up 2" spacers for the rear subframe on the lathe. Now to rework the handbrake mechanism so it deals with the 2" lift there also.

Again welcome to the site AlexH

Welcome to the club!!  :drive:

Those look like 451 wheels on your Grandstyle. In my experience the rear wheels will rub against the shocks. Best to remove one of the rears and take a look.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, smart142 said:

Welcome to the club!!  :drive:

Those look like 451 wheels on your Grandstyle. In my experience the rear wheels will rub against the shocks. Best to remove one of the rears and take a look.

Yes Glenn is correct, you'll need 3/4" spacer to be able to easily get a finger between rubber and shock.....as I have a set of those rims and thought maybe I could use them also...but they almost rub now but there maybe a paper width space which is nowhere near enough to take up for tire deflection.  imho.

This is the company that made the spacers.

Nice stuff, (off road race trucks are there core business) but crazy long lead times (ordered in April got them in july)

https://www.motorsport-tech.com/

I have some 30mm spacers on it to get the clearance they are machined billet ones so I don't have ti cross my fingers while driving😉 Hi there

Picked a Smart fortwo cdi back in the spring, planned on making a bush buggy out of it but it really grew on me and now it is my daily driver and my commute is like a trip to the go kart track!

Thanks for having such a great site!

I have an old lathe to be able to make spacers but the material is stupid money as I would make them out of aluminium......
I just machined some spacers to lower the sub frame to lift the car without reducing the drive shaft angle which will destroy your CV joints too quickly imho. I went with just the same lift as the DayStar 2" lift kit for the front strut spacers.....as that is difficult to reproduce the rubber spacer on top of the struts.  I originally made spacers from aluminium but they rattled after a while same as the rear spring spacers. They need to be rubber.