Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pwven

Ignition Key Battery

13 posts in this topic

How often do you replace your car ignition key battery? CR2016Just asking as a friend of mine wanted to unlock his car and got a large number of indicator blinks and after that his car did not start. The dealer said that the car and keys must come to them to be fixed.

How often do you replace your car ignition key battery? CR2016Just asking as a friend of mine wanted to unlock his car and got a large number of indicator blinks and after that his car did not start. The dealer said that the car and keys must come to them to be fixed.

Every two years.

On the other hand, I've had mine 4 years and both the original and spare still work fine. It's imperative to change the battery soon when the multiple flashes happen. It shouldn't require a trip to the dealer except to buy the new battery. Interestingly, the battery in my Saturn key fob is still original after 11years!

If the battery died before replacing, they will need to see someone with a Star Machine and need new batteries for the key fob(s).

5.5 years and counting. I might do them before the 6th year is complete.

Mine were what I assume were original, and all of a sudden at 4.5yrs it did the multiple flashes one day and then quit the next. I had to wait for my wife to deliver my spare key where I was stranded. New battery didn't help. The key had to be reprogrammed at Smart. The car had to be left there for 1/2 the day while they retrieved the key codes from MB and reprogrammed both FOBs with new batts. Cost $50.My lesson....change the batts every few years to avoid this. Unless you are feeling lucky! :)

Good advice Billr. !!!My headlights started to flash to indicate changing the batteries just after 18 months of ownership. So I did, apparently just before the keys required reprogramming. I guess I will change them once a year no matter what. (750+ km from dealer). Thanks billr.John K.

Mine just refused the code key on both remotes today.Could not unlock the doors or enable the ignition. 1 had a new battery and the other was ok as well, used a volt meter on the remote batteries and both were over 3V. Thankfully there is still a year left on the warranty. Its at the dealers now, hope they call soon so I have a car back for the weekend.

Edited by Ronfire

I don't get why you need a star maching when the FOB batery dies? This happened to me once - battery in FOB died on vacation, put new battery in, done....?

Apparently there is a capacitor in the key that loses charge after 40 seconds or so, therefore not changing the battery quickly enough can mean a key re-learn will be required. But I've not changed one yet, so who knows for sure.I will get the dealer to change the green car's key batteries when the 165,000 km service is done.

I would suggest every two years. The cost is minimal, but leaving it until the batteries are totally 'done' count be considerably more.