Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DerHans

Windshield Replacement

5 posts in this topic

I'm just trying to find out where to get a new windshield for a 2006 (450). Here in St. Catharines, as far as I know, Performance Collision and Glass does the repairs.An OEM windshield is around $800, and aftermarked model around $400.Are there any other places where I can save a buck or two and still get an OEM?I'm giving the car back (lease-end) and I suppose I will have to put an OEM windshield in, unless someone knows any differentCheers, Hans

Does the lease stipulate that any replacement parts be OEM? If parts fit properly and meet all pertinent regulations, then I don't see how the leasing company could have an issue with that. I also don't expect that they'll look closely at the corner of the windshield to see who manufactured it.If you had a paint scratch, and had it repaired at a body shop, would the leasing company demand proof that you used OEM paint?Not having ever leased a car, I can't speak from experience, but that's my 2¢ worth...

Use the least expensive aftermarket, ask for a cash quote, the windshield is the same. All dealers I know will farm the job out to a Speedy, Apple etc.Even with our own body shop 28 body men and the best equipment we never put a windshield in. Eithier we took the car to speedy, or they came in to our shop and did it there.Ford invented curved safety galss and still supplies must of it to all manufacturers.

Well, I asked my Salesman at Mercedes and he said it would have to be OEM. I'm still not so sure (Glenn Kolano also says not to worry about it). The price difference is huge. Original Mercedes is $800+ and after market is $400+. In case they don't like the aftermarket one (which by the way would be put in by the same company as the OEM), I would have to pay for an original (on top of the one that I will have just put in).Sounds like I will have to crack this nut myself. I will have to do some more asking around.

I have used AutoStock generic windshields in the past. The flat black stuff that the urethane adheres to seems to be some kind of easily detached decal on the aftermarket windshields ((i.e. they leak) and on the OE windshields it is VERY firmly adhered to the glass (i.e. they don't leak).Since the smart's brain is right under the windshield, any water leak would be terminal and involve a $1000+ bill for the part, so this is why M-B is insisting.Don't you have glass insurance that will cover OE parts?!?