Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marzipan

Dead Smart - Fuel Pump And Injector Rail Failure

63 posts in this topic

So last friday, driving to work with the wife, the car starts to sputter while doing 60KPH on the Lougheed Highway through Coquitlam,(BC), I pull over and it cuts out. can't get it to start. I got it towed to Boundary MB but they weren't able to look at it till today. here's their verdict. Fuel pump and injector rail failure, reading too low a pressure on the rail. Damage: $2500 for parts and $900 for labour. Has any one ever heard of this happening before? Any ideas where I might be able to get second hand parts or cheaper labour. The car is currently in bits at the stealership and doesn't drive even if it was in one piece so i'd have to get it towed. Thing is I also need to have it B serviced and it needs new brakes too. I figure I'm in for a total of about $4.5K when all is said and done. Not sure it's even worth it, the car's only worth about 6K, about the same as I still owe on it. Sitting at 87000km, one year out of warranty. Any advice really appreciated.thanksAlex

Type cracked fuel rail into the search function.You are not alone.

Type cracked fuel rail into the search function.You are not alone.

Thanks for that, I saw that Duck had a similar problem, I'm looking for local BC advice, on possible alternative service locations or used part sources. Any advice anyone?

I think your car is probably worth more than $8.5 K, if it's running. I know someone who sold an early 2005 pure w. glass roof and alloys @90K km for $7200 last week.About the high pressure fuel pump, there have been a couple of failures reported here. The pump is cheaper in Europe. But that only will help if you DIY. Maybe FastEddy would be 10-20% cheaper than a dealer....he's away for another week yet.Out of curiosity, what brand of fuel did you use?

Injector pump AND fuel rail???I mean, yes, it's part of the same system, but it seems rather unlikely that both would fail simultaneously. Now, if both are replaced the problem will be fixed, the customer doesn't know any better and the profit is better, of course, but that isn't really in YOUR best interest, is it? I would question that diagnosis.

Out of curiosity, what brand of fuel did you use?

I use almost exclusively Superstore fuel as it's the only diesel in Pitt Meadows.Alex - thanks for your input, I'll be asking them that tomorrow.As an aside, I went down there after work today to see the service tech and ask a few questions and thought i'd just ask how much they'd give me for the car in its current state. $1500. ridiculous.

Pirates! Is it in Surrey?I agree with Alex about the rail and pump failing together. Maybe they meant to say injector...?Did you ever run the car out of fuel?

Pirates! Is it in Surrey?I agree with Alex about the rail and pump failing together. Maybe they meant to say injector...?Did you ever run the car out of fuel?

no it's at Boundary, I avoid Surrey like the plague that they are. I normally get serviced in north van but as i broke down behind Ikea in Coquitlam I had it towed to Boundary. I've got the repair order here and it says "rail" and "h-pressur" seeing as that item is $1402 i think it's the pump as the injector is only (!) $1000. i'll double check tomorrowAny ideas for other service shops seeing as eddy's away? I have to get the car towed out of the MB shop this week if they are not going to be doing the repair.I've never run out of fuel, i did get to 1.5 once but mostly i fill up at 3.5 - 5 litres

HiSuper L'Auto Recyclers Ltd. in Chilliwack sell used smart parts. Phone 1.800.663.9843. They may have used parts needed for your car.Roy

$ 1,500.00 ?the salvage yards are giving ICBC $5,000.00 for smarts that are written off. Makes me mad,Alan

Try Fast Eddy - if you can't get it from a wrecker he can source new and used parts from Europe - the dealer is not being too creative in their solution (aside from creating profit!). Also I sure as heck would get a second opinion on that big of a bill. Cheers,Cameron

I had the car towed to a non-MB service shop, (where a friend services his company's fleet) and they ran their own diagnostics on it. Turns out there's nothing wrong with either the fuel pump or the rail. There is however a hole in the valve and in the engine itself. Solution: replace whole engine. my really expensive repair just got even more expensive :o I can't believe that i'm dealing with an engine failure at 87000Kms. what a f***** joke.

Ouch! rebuilt long blocks are available in Europe for about 1400 Euros (call it $2K and they weigh about 60 kg, so air freighting one here should not be too bad. Maybe take it to Eddy's in Richmond I'm sure he will have some ideas once he gets back from the Montreal GP.

Doesn't add up. Where did the low fuel rail pressure code come from? How did your friend diagnose a valve problem? If it is a valve problem, heads are available for the engine, may be an option, but I remain suspicious. That was a code set relating to fuel rail pressure, and an engine mechanical wouldn't set off that one. One would expect some codes, but not that one, IMHO. Eddy's opinion I value more than mine.

Doesn't add up. Where did the low fuel rail pressure code come from? How did your friend diagnose a valve problem? If it is a valve problem, heads are available for the engine, may be an option, but I remain suspicious. That was a code set relating to fuel rail pressure, and an engine mechanical wouldn't set off that one. One would expect some codes, but not that one, IMHO. Eddy's opinion I value more than mine.

It sounds a bit like what happened to me a few weeks ago. My Smart only required $12 in parts, even at MB's inflated prices. I could have probably fixed it myself for $5 if I wasn't afraid to touch the thing.

Actually I think Alex is right, your diagnoses are so totally opposed that neither of them may be correct.

update - I got a better description of the actual problem: injector two has been colliding with the piston and has worn a hole in it. (Not sure how or where the valve is located in relation to this though, or if the piston and injector can't just be replaced instead of the whole engine.) After speaking to MB about the new conflicting diagnosis, they sent one of their mobile service units to my mechanic's shop to see the hole for themselves this morning. This afternoon, I got a call back from MB agreeing to pay to have the car towed back to their shop to investigate further. They should be looking at it on monday, I'll keep you updated. Problem is I'm not technically knowledgeable in this field at all, so I can't make my own judgment. Still not sure what the outcome might be, all I know is that there's no way I'm putting $6K into the car at this stage if I don't absolutely have to. I might part the car out if it gets to that stage. I just can't accept that a car with 87000kms could have a dead engine.Thanks

The injector blew a hole into the piston?!?Maybe if it was not atomizing the fuel properly and shooting it out instead in a squirt gun stream it could cut the piston, but colliding with it?!? I have never heard of that one before.I suspect Mercedes will do the right thing for you.

Keep us posted on the saga. So it is NOT the pump or fuel rail, I take it? I like Mike's squirt gun analogy, that sounds more possible than physical contact. The position of the injector is fixed, it would take some pretty dramatic wear at either end of the con-rod to allow the piston to rise high enough to contact, even then I'm not sure the piston momentum would be enough to overcome the friction and pressure to slap up to maximum clearance in the worn area. It is on the intake stroke that the forces go in that direction. Maybe on the exhaust stroke? Still I don't think you could have that much wear and not know it in a big way from the noise and vibration.Did you notice smoking, power loss and higher fuel consumption before the failure? That would point to a poor spray pattern.

It is amazing how a pinhole leak in the high-pressure fuel system can blast a hole. I had an infinitesimal leak in an injector washer and the spray - not even enough to leave a noticeable wet spot when the engine was off - blasted a very neat hole in the intake manifold, up underneath where it couldn't be seen without a dentist's mirror.

How do they inspect for this in the combustion chamber? Pull an injector and peek inside with a tiny fibre optic wand?

B :sun:

Ref link

Posted Image

Edited by bilgladstone

Water jets are used commercially to cut many materials. For metal cutting an abrasive is usually added to increase cutting speeds, but that is just for efficiency. Plain water will cut through thick steel plate. http://tinyurl.com/23skjs

Water jets are used commercially to cut many materials. For metal cutting an abrasive is usually added to increase cutting speeds, but that is just for efficiency. Plain water will cut through thick steel plate. http://tinyurl.com/23skjs

Yeah i know, i get steel parts water jet cut for work all the time, not doubt a 280bar stream of diesel would wear a hole in the piston pretty quickly. As a side note we didn't have any smoke or noticeably reduced fuel efficiency, we did have a lumpy iddle once or twice in the preceeding week though. wondering if that could have anything to do with it, such as a clogged fuel filter. Still when MB re-diagnose i'll let you all know what happens.Who knows how this will turn out. my friend yesterday joked that this was the ideal opportunity to build a smartuki. thanks guys,Alex

The fuel rail pressure is up to 1350 bar!!

I suspect Mercedes will do the right thing for you.

I doubt it. I had a very similar problem, and it was "Too bad, so sad, you are out of warranty, please step aside so your tears don't stain our carpets"