Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VRsyncro

Bombshell Discovery

30 posts in this topic

Guys! I just found out that the Smart ForTwo only has two seats!!! OMG!!!!I never realized it until a guy told me in the parking lot at the grocery store last night! He then went on to tell me that the car was not safe on highways and that he got better mileage from his flex fuel Impala!! At first I thought he was joking but then he got really agitated when I started laughing in his face. His wife had to pull him away!!!On my drive home I also had a homeless guy on a bike ride right in front of me for a few blocks. Finally at a stop light I decided to take a pic as no one ever believes me that Cyclists are sometimes at fault on the roads....

post-5932-1276178270_thumb.jpg

How is the cyclist at fault in the picture? He is stopped behind the white line, waiting for the red light to change. As a courtesy, I usually stop my bike on the right curb side of an intersection, several feet behind the intersection, so that someone wishing to make a right turn on the red is not obstructed.The cyclist in the picture has every right to be on the road in the lane just where he is. If traffic is light and it appears safe to do so, I also stand in an intersection (indicating my turn) much like your homeless person.If the cyclist had been a slow moving cement truck, waiting exactly how the cyclist is, would that make him "at fault"?A bicycle is a vehicle, as defined by law.

I was at an auto service shop last week and discovered from another customer that I cannot fit into my smart. And that it is not bigger inside than it looks from the outside. And that it is not safe to drive on public roads. And that it might be an electric switch-over hybrid.Good to know, after 5 years of driving around comfortably and safely. And possibly wasting a lot of money on diesel fuel.B :sun:

I've had more "Bubbas" deride my car and my taste in cars just over the last month or so than in the entire three years I've owned it.

I guess they feel that $1/L gasoline is great, and that commuting alone in a behemoth is great. I had a guy driving a baby-blue 2002 Accent call my fortwo "gay" and another in a puke-orange, fish-mouthed Mazda 3 call it "ugly." Countless people call it "unsafe" and "a hazard."

If I had five dollars for every time in three years I've heard, "I wouldn't want to get hit by a SEMI in that thing!" I could take the entire summer off work. Pointing out that I wouldn't want to get hit by a semi in anything doesn't make even a dent in their ignorance, zooming right over their heads.

On my drive home I also had a homeless guy on a bike ride right in front of me for a few blocks. Finally at a stop light I decided to take a pic as no one ever believes me that Cyclists are sometimes at fault on the roads....

What is the cyclist doing wrong here?

I much enjoy the sarcasm here! I don't usually get told about my car..However, the cyclist looks to be in the middle of a crosswalk in the picture. That could make it difficult for someone from the right to turn left.. but not entirely wrong still.I've seen so many "stupid" people riding their bikes into oncoming traffic in Vancouver, and they are primarily homeless. I recall one time I was driving through Pemberton, and there were people walking with traffic, and people biking against it. By "people" I mean many, not just one. We need more (un?)common sense in the world.Anyway.. I lol'ed.

What is the cyclist doing wrong here?

Sheesh guys, I took a pic of a guy on bike blocking traffic! I hate to repeat myself but for the 3-4 blocks ahead of this photo the cyclist rode right in front of my car in the middle of the lane. As you can see from his stop, he is in the crosswalk (blocking pedestrians). Once the light was green he proceeded through the intersection and continued to block me through the Glebe. As for the "Jayjay's" comment - I agree, a Bicycle is a vehicle, as defined by the HTA in Ontario. So can you explain why each and everyday the following HTA rules are being broken regularly? - Cyclist's blowing through stop signs (Can't do that in my car last time I checked)- Ride on sidewalks (Can't do that in my car either)- Ride through crosswalks, or in opposite direction of traffic (Can't do that in my car)Yes driver's should have common sense and courtesy on the road, but cyclists should at least try to adhere to basic rules that govern vehicle traffic in Ontario (At least bullet #1 of the above would be a start)!!

I've had more "Bubbas" deride my car and my taste in cars just over the last month or so than in the entire three years I've owned it.

I guess they feel that $1/L gasoline is great, and that commuting alone in a behemoth is great. I had a guy driving a baby-blue 2002 Accent call my fortwo "gay" and another in a puke-orange, fish-mouthed Mazda 3 call it "ugly." Countless people call it "unsafe" and "a hazard."

If I had five dollars for every time in three years I've heard, "I wouldn't want to get hit by a SEMI in that thing!" I could take the entire summer off work. Pointing out that I wouldn't want to get hit by a semi in anything doesn't make even a dent in their ignorance, zooming right over their heads.

Yeah, I don't know where this ignorant streak started, but I've noticed a lot more comments recently than in my 2 years with the car!

I also have had 100% occupancy on my commute for the past two years, not many in my office can claim the same stats!!

Sheesh guys, I took a pic of a guy on bike blocking traffic! I hate to repeat myself but for the 3-4 blocks ahead of this photo the cyclist rode right in front of my car in the middle of the lane.

That is completely legal. A bike has the same right to the road as a car.

As you can see from his stop, he is in the crosswalk (blocking pedestrians).

That is not legal. But a pretty minor infraction IMHO.

- Ride on sidewalks (Can't do that in my car either)

You mean you guys don't... umm... I mean... never mind then...

The cyclist is always in the wrong. There is such a divide between drivers and cyclists and no easy answers because enforcement is problematic.You, on the other hand, were in your car taking pictures.

I hate to repeat myself but for the 3-4 blocks ahead of this photo the cyclist rode right in front of my car in the middle of the lane.

Hate to repeat everyone else, but what's wrong with that? The bike is a vehicle. Was he stopped for 3-4 blocks? No? Then he was not "blocking" traffic, he was merely driving slower than you happened to want to. Vehicles drive one per lane, single file. It is not appropriate to pass another vehicle (including cyclists) that's in the same lane as you. When slow-moving vehicles (including cyclists) hug the edge of the lane, it encourages faster vehicles to illegally pass and just causes more accidents.

Being a couple feet past the stop line is hardly a mortal sin.

Hate to repeat everyone else, but what's wrong with that? The bike is a vehicle. Was he stopped for 3-4 blocks? No? Then he was not "blocking" traffic, he was merely driving slower than you happened to want to. Vehicles drive one per lane, single file. It is not appropriate to pass another vehicle (including cyclists) that's in the same lane as you. When slow-moving vehicles (including cyclists) hug the edge of the lane, it encourages faster vehicles to illegally pass and just causes more accidents.

Being a couple feet past the stop line is hardly a mortal sin.

And your response is based on what HTA act?

Let's work with some actual facts here and perhaps educate one another in the process. I would like you to note HTA 147 on "Slow Moving Vehicles" below.

How many cyclists in Ontario are familiar with these laws? Also, if I am driving my vehicle, I need to be licensed, should cyclists also be licensed? Come on guys, some common sense here. I am not against cyclists, I am for safe driving.

Cycling and The Law

A bicycle is a vehicle under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act (HTA). This means that, as a bicyclist, you have the same rights and responsibilities to obey all traffic laws as other road users. Cyclists charged for disobeying traffic laws will be subject to a minimum set fine and a Victim Surcharge fine of $20.00 for most offences (please note set fines below are subject to change).

The following are key sections of the HTA concerning cyclists.

HTA 144/136 - Traffic signals and signs

stop for red lights and stop signs and comply with all other signs. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 153 - One-ways streets

ride in the designated direction on one-way streets. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 147 - Slow moving traffic travel on right side

any vehicle moving slower than the normal traffic speed should drive in the right-hand lane, or as close as practicable to the right edge of the road except when preparing to turn left or when passing another vehicle. For cyclists, you must ride far enough out from the curb to maintain a straight line, clear of sewer grates, debris, potholes, and parked car doors. You may occupy any part of a lane when your safety warrants it. Never compromise your safety for the convenience of a motorist behind you. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 142 - Signalling a turn

before turning, look behind you and signal your turn. Cyclists can use their right arm to signal a right turn. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 140(1) 144(29) - Crosswalks

yield or stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 140(6)/144(29) - No riding in crosswalks

walk your bike when crossing at a crosswalk. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 166 - Streetcars

stop two metres behind streetcar doors and wait until passengers have boarded or departed and reached the curb. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 175 (12) - Stopped school buses

stop for stopped school buses when the upper alternating red lights are flashing and the stop arm is out. Set fine: $400.00

HTA 62(17) - Lights

a bike must have a white front light and a red rear light or reflector if you ride between 1/2 hour before sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise and white reflective tape on the front forks and red reflective tape on rear forks. Set fine: $20.00

HTA 75 (5) - Bell

a bike must have a bell or horn in good working order. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 64(3) - Brakes

a bike must have at least one brake system on the rear wheel. When you put on the brakes, you should be able to skid on dry, level pavement. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 218 - Identification

Cyclists must stop and identify themselves when required to stop by police for breaking traffic laws. The police officer will ask you for your correct name and address. Set fine: $85.00

HTA Reg. 630 - Expressways

Bicycles are prohibited on expressway / freeway highways such as the 400 series, the QEW, Ottawa Queensway and on roads where "No Bicycle" signs are posted. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 178(2) - Passengers

Passengers are not allowed on a bicycle designed for one person. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 178(1) - Attaching to a vehicle

You are not permitted to attach yourself to the outside of another vehicle or streetcar for the purpose of "hitching a ride." Set fine: $85.00

HTA 104 - Helmets

Every cyclist under the age of eighteen must wear an approved bicycle helmet. Parents or guardians shall not knowingly permit cyclists under sixteen to ride without a helmet. Set fine: $60.00

HTA 179 - Dismounted bicyclist

Cyclists are required to ride on the right-hand side of the road. If you are walking your bike on a highway where there are no sidewalks, you are considered a pedestrian and you should walk on the left-hand side of the road facing traffic. If it is not safe for you to cross the road to face traffic, you may walk your bike on the right-hand side of the road. Set fine: $35.00.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/cycl...ection5.0.shtml

Anyhow - For those of you in Ottawa interesting article in the Ottawa Citizen:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Ottawa+police...2434/story.html

Edited by VRsyncro

No one is saying that they've never seen a cyclist ignore a traffic-control device or that all cyclists are angels. We're just saying that from what you've described and photographed, your anger with the particular cyclist in question seems to be misplaced.

I still say that Munich has it right: widen the sidewalks and have a pedestrian lane and a bike lane there. Roads should be for motorised vehicles only.

Bicyclist, motorist... I've been both and been spat upon (both figuratively and literally) for being each. That Newtonian physics thing about two objects not occupying the same space at the same time is a b1tch. :crackmeup:I have spent the last few years trying to divest myself of the inhuman urgencies of modern living. Conflicts like this are not conducive.Bil :sun:

Just remember, if you drive into the back of another vehicle, you are 100 per cent at fault.Enforcement of all the laws of the road suck. That's life.

As a road cyclist that does at least 2500 km a year, I cannot be relegated to sidewalks! I ride on the TCH all the time actually.

Amen to that - I don't get it but for some reason yeah in the last little while more and more hate is coming out. Just tonight on the way home from work I had my windows down stopped at a light and two fat pedestrians yelled at me "WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GET HIT BY A TRUCK? YOU DIE!!!! AHAHAHA" and laugh at me. I hate people.-Iain

I saw a younger couple laughing at the smart from a PT Cruiser, but I can't really take criticism from someone in a tarted up Neon seriously.

148. (1) Every person in charge of a vehicle on a highway meeting another vehicle shall turn out to the right from the centre of the roadway, allowing the other vehicle one-half of the roadway free. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (1).

Vehicles or equestrians overtaken

(2) Every person in charge of a vehicle or on horseback on a highway who is overtaken by a vehicle or equestrian travelling at a greater speed shall turn out to the right and allow the overtaking vehicle or equestrian to pass. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (2).

Exception

(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to a person in charge of a road service vehicle or a road-building machine or apparatus while the machine or apparatus is engaged in the construction of a highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (3).

Vehicles meeting bicycles

(4) Every person in charge of a vehicle on a highway meeting a person travelling on a bicycle shall allow the cyclist sufficient room on the roadway to pass. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (4).

Vehicles or equestrians overtaking others

(5) Every person in charge of a vehicle or on horseback on a highway who is overtaking another vehicle or equestrian shall turn out to the left so far as may be necessary to avoid a collision with the vehicle or equestrian overtaken, and the person overtaken is not required to leave more than one-half of the roadway free. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (5).

Bicycles overtaken

(6) Every person on a bicycle or motor assisted bicycle who is overtaken by a vehicle or equestrian travelling at a greater speed shall turn out to the right and allow the vehicle or equestrian to pass and the vehicle or equestrian overtaking shall turn out to the left so far as may be necessary to avoid a collision. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (6).

Driver unable to turn out is to stop

(7) Where one vehicle is met or overtaken by another, if by reason of the weight of the load on either of the vehicles so meeting or on the vehicle so overtaken the driver finds it impracticable to turn out, he or she shall immediately stop, and, if necessary for the safety of the other vehicle and if required so to do, he or she shall assist the person in charge thereof to pass without damage. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (7).

Passing vehicle going in same direction

(8) No person in charge of a vehicle shall pass or attempt to pass another vehicle going in the same direction on a highway unless the roadway,

(a) in front of and to the left of the vehicle to be passed is safely free from approaching traffic; and

to the left of the vehicle passing or attempting to pass is safely free from overtaking traffic. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (8).

Section 148 refers to vehicles (which by definition includes bicycles) but goes even further to include subsection (6) that refers specifically to bicycles.

So yes the bicyclist is doing something wrong (illegal) if he did not turn left at that corner and some one was attempting to pass him.

Edited by gordo.bernard

I thought I remembered having read something similar to those laws about the bike needing to move over to allow passing, but I was really much to lazy to look it up, and also wasn't sure that I didn't just make it up in my head...

On the other hand, I was driving home just now and got HUGE smiles and a big :thumbup: from a group of teenagers. They get it :D