Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zorancdi

Intercooler upgrade?

24 posts in this topic

Has any anyone upgraded the intercooler of the cdi?Is there an standard intercooler from an other car which can replace the smart intercooler?

Not sure if anyone has done this in a cdi. Some have done in petrol smart. Since cdi has air-to-air intercooler, I have considered adding water spray but not gone forward with that yet since the intercooler fan is susceptible to failure from water ingress.I think there are many other modifications to do first before the intercooler that will yield results for the money.Did you remap your car yet?Bil :sun:

Posted (edited) · Report post

The remap is tomorrow :-)I have checked visual the intercooler a few weeks ago, and cleaned all the hoses, egr and clamps because of oilleaks.Tomorrow they will also do some engine check.If the intercooler is leaking, maybe i can replace it for an intercooler from an renault gt5 turbo or an other model.This will be "easier" then water spray?It is very difficult to find some info about this :-(

Edited by zorancdi

Speed Force Racing in California has been working on modified 451 smarts and has an intercooler for those engines, which do do not come from the factory with turbo or intercooler.

In my opinion, the cdi won't much benefit from upgraded intercooler unless you go air:water, but a closed induction like the Pipercross Viper kit will give better results for your money.

Posted ImagePosted Image

IMHO/YMMV.

Bil :senile:

Edited by bilgladstone

Thnx, I already got an offer from them for my 450 ;) I have already an inlay k&n filter, delipped the airinlet and "plated" egr.First the remap and then will see whats next......

Edited by zorancdi

zorancdi,Not really an upgrade I guess, but I have one of those intercoolers where the motor has failed :angry: This was pointed out to me by Glenn at the last B service => it then occurred to me that I hadn't heard it running for some time. Not a huge issue here in Canada during the winter, but it's probably robbing me of a little HP now that the weather is hot and sticky. I haven't been monitoring the air intake T with the scangauge lately though I probably should be.I had some time yesterday so I pulled the intercooler fan => can be done from up top without removing anything else (though it's a fiddly job).Since it wasn't working anyway, I drilled the rivets to separate the mount housing from the fan.On the bench with 12V applied, the motor would not spin freely and was drawing a lot of juice. After liberal application of WD40 (as much as could be reached near the shafts), I was able to spin it up with help. At first the motor whined heavily and didn't spin freely at all => it was drawing upwards of 4.5 amps. After a little while (and by orienting it just right) I could get it to spin up in rpm's and stop whining; at that point it was drawing 2.3 amps (it still wouldn't start itself when power was applied - I had to spin the fan to get it going!).Obviously, it's not going back in - even if I can get it spinning freely.My plan is to investigate an aftermarket 7" radiator fan such as this (it's rated at 3 amps):post-6677-1276442921_thumb.jpgIt should be easy enough to mount to the fan folder with little modification:post-6677-1276442912_thumb.jpgThe fan (freed of the mount):post-6677-1276442904_thumb.jpgI'll let you know how I make out! :lol: Mike

Mike,Watching your fan mod... would you mind doing a new thread when you get this started please? Especially interested in how you will modify the fan shroud for the universal fan!Cheers,Bil :senile:

Before the remap I didn't check if the fan works but here some pictures:

Posted Image

egr:

Posted Image

fan removed:

Posted Image

TIK:

Posted Image

Intercooler:

Posted Image

Back side:

Posted Image

The wear because of vibration between frame and intercooler:

Posted Image

The lower part of the frame I scraped with sandpaper:

Posted Image

Before and after:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now everything is clean, and i can see if there will come new leaks........

The fan only works when its hot and the car isn't moving to cool the intercooler?

When you drive and your airscoop is not broken the cooling is sufficient.

Edited by zorancdi

Typical conditions. Both CCV and EGR load the intercooler with oil. When the intercooler's lower matrix begins to chafe through, that oil leaks out and coats everything underneath.This is another of smart's handful of really annoying design failures.Did you buy a new intercooler, Zoran, or just clean/repair the old one? There is a new intercooler channel from MB/smart that doesn't chafe, or you can modify yours by clipping off the offending top lip.The fan comes on whenever the temperature set-point is reached, whether driving along or standing still. Even after the car is switched off, you may hear it run for a short while, especially following a sportive drive.Bil :senile:

Did I hear somewhere that the '06 model has the improved channel, and doesn't have this problem with wear?If not, I had best put that on my list. Nice short list so far, knock on wood.

I hope that the damage on the intercooler is superficial and that the leaks come of not so tight hoseclamps.

So I only cleaned everything and must do a new check after an while.

I didnt had the time to cut/grind/modify the intercooler frame, so I only sandpapered the sharp edges for now.

A new upgraded frame from the smart dealer is a possibility but a modification by myself takes as much time and is more fun ;)

Here you can see the new and old frame:

Posted Image

Edited by zorancdi

The Brabus roadster had a water to air intercooler - Evilution was thinking about putting one on - big ticket item. Brabu$ Intercooler

There are also quite a few aftermarket solutions - including water to air - but you would then have to plumb a seperate water cooling circuit into the car (the cooling system of the car won't work - 'cause it is at about 100C).

Cheers,

Cameron

Water to air or the brabus intercooler need more modifications + new intercooler.Just a little bigger intercooler will be the "easiest" modification if my intercooler is leaking.......

Water to air or the brabus intercooler need more modifications + new intercooler.

+ additional radiator

+ hoses

+ pump

+ a location to mount all the additional bits

Really not worth the trouble IMO!

mike

Water to air or the brabus intercooler need more modifications + new intercooler.Just a little bigger intercooler will be the "easiest" modification if my intercooler is leaking.......

Careful with sizing... a too-large intercooler will cause lag in turbo boost and defeat your goal. Would also be a larger heat sink, so take longer to cool-on-demand.I don't know how the "happy medium" would be calculated but there are so many companies that do after-market and custom intercoolers that could advise you...IMHO/YMMV of course!Bil :sun:

More powerful fan?

That'd be my plan. Do a careful job of tightening up the OEM i/c with JBWeld or something, add a little higher cfm fan (maybe 450 v. oem 350) with a well-fitting shroud and add a manual over-ride switch so you can turn on the fan whenever you want to. And don't forget to increase the size or number of relief vents in the back panel.Should handily come under $100 all-in.B :senile:

With the weather improving, and temperatures rising, I finally got around to finishing this mod.I had previously replaced my dead intercooler fan with this one (see below), a cheap Chinese 7.5" fan purchased on eBay. Unfortunately, although being "low profile", the fan interfered with the back of the EGR and therefore never fit right. It was also really loud! post-6677-1333478865_thumb.jpgI had modified the fan bracket post-6677-1333479078_thumb.jpg by removing the "arms". The 7.5" fan was installed over top of the resulting bracket. post-6677-1333479147_thumb.jpg You can see the holes I used to mount the 7.5" fan over top of the modified OEM bracket.Like I said, I wasn't happy with the result. Last fall, I'd finally had enough of the oil leaking from the old intercooler so uncle Glenn was nice enough to install a new one I had procured; we left the old fan off at the time since we were heading into winter.Recently, I re-engaged with this project; this time, I opted for a slightly smaller but much better quality Italian fan (SPAL). This one sports a long life, waterproofed motor and much sturdier plastic housing. SPAL USA lists it as a motorcycle / ATV fan and it's rated at the same CFM as the OEM fan. Although it's a low profile fan, I was pretty sure it would still interfere with the EGR valve so the sturdy housing was important since I was pretty sure I'd need to do some "whittling" on the shroud. In addition, to further lower the profile, the 6.5" fan was selected to mount inside the fan bracket (from below). Hopefully, the pictures below will help explain.I started by cutting off the mounting bracket "ears" on the new fan (being sure to leave the mounting "flange".post-6677-1333479881_thumb.jpg This was required in order to get the fan to fit snugly inside the modified bracket.After some slight trimming of the edges, the new fan was press-fit into the intercooler fan bracket from below.post-6677-1333479977_thumb.jpg This shows the fit from the underside.This shows the fit in profile:post-6677-1333480069_thumb.jpgTo avoid any protrusions on the underside (the intercooler side), I simply used small zip ties to secure the fan to the bracket.post-6677-1333480164_thumb.jpg post-6677-1333480172_thumb.jpg Note the area marked in blue; this material needs to be removed in order to allow the bracket/fan assembly to slide into position between the intercooler and the EGR valve mount. With the cheap eBay fan, removing this material can be accomplished with a little pressure from your fingers (!!) leaving a seriously compromised fan housing (it's cheap and brittle). With this fan, the material was removed easily with a dremel tool but the resulting fan housing remained stiff and supportive.The final result:post-6677-1333480503_thumb.jpgNote: The resulting fan DOES obscure the intercooler more than the OEM fan which would probably result in higher CAI temperatures in the event of a fan failure; however, I'm fairly in-tune with my car and would notice if the fan failed to come on. In addition, I believe this one is much less likely to fail than the OEM one simply because of it's sealed construction. Also, I don't believe airflow across the intercooler is great when these fans fail, especially given the incidence to lower scoop "tear-off" due to snow, etc. and the cramped confines of the engine compartment.I'm happy with it!It's much quieter than the temporary eBay fan and cheaper than the replacement MB part.

post-6677-1333480503_thumb.jpg

Interesting, the dealer part is about $145, so what was the cost of this one?

Interesting, the dealer part is about $145, so what was the cost of this one?

I found it for ~ $60MZ

Sounds an ideal fix for your dead fan, Mike!

I think I'll stick with OE, less hassle factor (fitting) plus if I get another 229,000 out of the new fan, well that's longer than the car's engine will probably go, then I'll have a spare!