Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mike

1986 Mercedes 420sel

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone here have first hand experience with the 1986 Mercedes 420SEL? Someone has offered to trade me one of these cars plus some cash for my 2005 smart. It looks and sounds like an extremely well maintained car, with only 200K on it, but I'm worried about the age and possible cost of maintenance (and frequency of repairs). The owner says it has a 4.2L V8 and he gets around 25mpg on the highway.Any feedback you all might have would be appreciated!

I don't know much about the particular Mercedes-Benz model you are talking about, but aparently Mercedes-Benz does keep available ANY part you may need to restore almost any car they ever made.(Probably at great cost.) This was according to Jay Leno,on one of his videos on his web site. www.jaylenosgarage.com

First hand - no. But I still would suggest you consider what the car would be used for. If it's a daily driver, forget about it unless you have ten grand lying around to replace the gearbox and rebuild the top end of the engine etc. If it is a collector car, that would probably be OK, but they are bearishly expensive to repair unless you DIY (and the parts themselves can be very expensive). A nice 420 is worth about $5K CAD in Germany.The block is aluminium and the cylinders are bored right into the Al. They are treated with a silicon compound but once worn, the block is a paperweight.

Yeah, it would be a daily driver. Looks like I'll forget about it :) The only reason why I was even considering it is because I want the cash for an investment opportunity... but that wouldn't work out so well if I get stuck with a money pit.

I sold many of the 420SEL's in that time, it was a fabulous car and had a fabulous ride.Pay attention to Mike though, he knows of what he speaks. You do not want to be replacing engines !!