Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Squeeakers

Passenger Window Button And Trailer Hitches.

22 posts in this topic

I've poked around the mod forum quite a bit but I'm not really finding what I'm looking for. I don't currently have any mods on my '06 Coupe Pure, and I'd love to ask you guys some questions.First, have you installed a passenger window button on the driver's side? What kit did you use and was it a frustrating install? How does the finished product look, do you have a picture? (I could only find pictures of the passenger side handle mod).Second, do you have a hitch kit installed? What hitch kit did you use and was it frustrating to install? And finally, what are you towing with your hitch? I plan on doing both of these mods myself. I'm mostly curious if I can get the button to look "mostly" stock and a VERY rough idea of what I can tow. I have my sights on a small trailer but there are some really conflicting opinions on how much the little car can tow (I get that, I know it's not rated). Any other thoughts would be really welcome!Thanks,Squeeaks

I had Uncle Glenn install the passenger window control. If the kit is still the same, you get a nice little button below the driver button which controls the other window. The other benefit is that the windows will also now work without the key being inserted which is really handy when the weather is hot (like today).As for towing, I've read about many modifications and experiences. A smart will blow up real good without any additional stress from a trailer. You're probably out of warranty anyway, so if you're feeling flush, it can be done. Probably a whole lot cheaper to buy an old pickup truck than risk that highly stressed little engine/drivetrain.

Thanks for the window button info! I didn't know about the key thing, that's smart! As for the towing problem, you're right a truck would be the best solution, but I'm kind of stuck. Here's my problem. I leased my smart, and I love the little thing, except for one problem, the dog. When we take the car out, and we take the dog with, we put the dog in the back. Problem is, then we can only get maybe one suitcase inside with the dog. So, my lease is up, so I'm looking at other sub-compact cars. Any other small car, around the same year with WAY more mileage on it, costs much more money with a higher interest rate. The smart is simply too good a deal for me to pass up, so the problem becomes where to put the second suitcase. .........Does anyone make a roof rack for the smart?

Got my hitch from www.smartcaruniverse.com. It was a simple install.

I tow a small utility trailer.

Posted Image

Bil :sun:

The passenger window control module was supplied by a German company, Mister Dot Com, and sold by smartieparts.Since the introduction of the 451 they are no longer available. It's too bad because it was a nice plug and play kit and was of high quality, although a little pricey at around $100 :D

The passenger window control module was supplied by a German company, Mister Dot Com, and sold by smartieparts.Since the introduction of the 451 they are no longer available. It's too bad because it was a nice plug and play kit and was of high quality, although a little pricey at around $100 :D

Well that won't work then. :(Bill, how much does your trailer weigh?

Unladen weight is 260lbs - GVW 1300. All corrosion resistant galvanized, with aluminum diamond plate floor.

Can be stored on end

post-95-1276887644_thumb.jpg

Available at RONA you can sometimes find used.

Bil :sun:

You can get a remote control based window controller from here:

Shop smart

They are in Taiwan so shipping can be a few $ - I have ordered from them before with good results.

I have the Mister Dot Com controller installed in the door handle for the passenger - it is quite a reach for the stock location with the seat all the way back. I can also reach it really easily from the drivers' seat so two birds with one stone.

Installation requires the inner panel to come off (for both types) to plug the adaptor in - not to hard to do.

Cheers,

Cameron

Oh now that wireless one is cool! I'd be a little concerned about wireless interference popping my windows open, but otherwise it's exactly what I'm looking for.

I really like that one, Alan!

This excellent kit enables you to operate the passenger window from the drivers side of the car and also add a one touch operation function to your windows whereby you don't have to hold the window button to close the windows. They will also auto close when you operate the central locking. An auto drivelock function is also included.

B :sun:

Speedie, the shop.s-smart.com product looks cool. Its a wireless connector to the passenger window?

Yes - I don't have one but from what I understand you hook the wireless module between the passenger window switch and the connector then you can use the wireless remote - either mounted in the car or as a handheld.Cheers,Cameron

So I was having a conversation with a friend of mine about my various towing options and cargo solutions, when he said something that really made a lot of sense. What this little smart needs is a cargo backpack! Like any normal backpack a person would wear, just smartcar sized. It would eliminate the hitch install, and having to tow a trailer. I'm guessing it could be self mounting, or perhaps mounted on an adapted bike rack type frame. Has anyone done this yet?

So I was having a conversation with a friend of mine about my various towing options and cargo solutions, when he said something that really made a lot of sense. What this little smart needs is a cargo backpack! Like any normal backpack a person would wear, just smartcar sized. It would eliminate the hitch install, and having to tow a trailer. I'm guessing it could be self mounting, or perhaps mounted on an adapted bike rack type frame. Has anyone done this yet?

If you have a 451, you are SO in luck! CLICK HEREBil :sun:

I'm SO not in luck. ;) It's a 450. But I did find Carux! It looks pretty cool.

Yes it does! But given the way the smart rear plastic top panel attaches (the one where the brake light and wash sprayer mechanism is) I would be afraid that any meaningful weight tugging on it - as with tension straps - might break it loose.

After further reading on the carux site:

To use the CARUX on a SMART fortwo, please order additionally the “KIT SMART” mounting kit. The kit contents are different hooks and support plate.

The mounting kit for the SMART fortwo first Model is not available. Without this mounting kit a correct fixation on the SMART fortwo (first model) is not possible.

They see the weakness I mentioned and make a special support kit. But not for the 450 - only the 451 model. Very neat idea though.

Keep searching....

Bil :senile:

I think I'm going to ask them for clarification about the mounting kit, the way they word it, it doesn't make sense. It does give me some hope though.Oh, nope, I get it now. (I'm slow on Mondays).

Edited by Squeeakers

Unladen weight is 260lbs - GVW 1300. All corrosion resistant galvanized, with aluminum diamond plate floor.

Can be stored on endpost-95-1276887644_thumb.jpg

Available at RONA you can sometimes find used.Bil :sun:
Is that the one they are now selling at Rona for $300? I saw it and was tempted to get it but I'm concerned about the hitch, as well as if I would need registration or insurance for it.

Is that the one they are now selling at Rona for $300? I saw it and was tempted to get it but I'm concerned about the hitch, as well as if I would need registration or insurance for it.

Nope. These are $1,199 at RONA. Edited by bilgladstone

Nope. These are $1,199 at RONA.

So I noticed, after clicking on the link. The ones for $300 have no bed. I could probably make a bed out of PT plywood, one sheet would give me the 4'x4' base and four 4'x1' sides, enough for camping gear with a strapped down tarp over it.It appears U-Haul is the best place for a trailer hitch, even if it does cost over half the price of the trailer itself. SmartCarUniverse.com doesn't have any listings right now.

I want the deluxe module -- one-touch-down and auto-close are standard features on other cars to which one gets very accustomed -- but don't need the second button as reaching over doesn't bother me.... the car is less than one arm-span wide.