Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
3illmesmart

Won't Start, Turns Over

26 posts in this topic

My smart is gone to London smart Center. A couple of weeks ago I couldn't get it to start when we stopped in Kitchener. After about 1/2 hour, it started, and has been good until Saturday. Saturday it wouldn't start again. Would turn over, but not start. Tried several times over the weekend and today called extended warranty to get it towed to London. I called to let them know it was coming, and got a call this evening that they had a quick look and will diagnose tomorrow. This will be the first major test of the extended warranty. It covered a broken front spring, but I think there may be a fuel pump problem, so I hope it's covered. :(

post-5949-1277159453_thumb.jpg

So, apparently, the fuel pump went and took out or was caused by the SAM unit. Either way, it's expensive, and Extended warranty is going to cover it. Parts are on order. :bowdown: :bowdown: :clapping:

So, apparently, the fuel pump went and took out or was caused by the SAM unit. Either way, it's expensive, and Extended warranty is going to cover it. Parts are on order. :bowdown: :bowdown: :clapping:

Yours in a 450 Right? If so how did you get the extended warranty? I was told by a " someone " that there was no extended warranty for the 450's

Low pressure fuel pump (the one in the tank), I assume?-Iain

I was told by a " someone " that there was no extended warranty for the 450's

A someone is wrong, I have it in my white smart (M-B warranty to 6 years and 120K km).

Duck, I didn't ask, $400 I believe.xakinedmonton, We bought extanded warranty when we bought the car used at smart Centre London. ...DON"T QUOTE ME...As I understand it, if you are the original owner(*), or buy used from smart(*), there is a way you can get it.(*)within warranty

Sorry to cut in here .. but it's a perfect photo.So I'm curious. What is wrong with the way the car is being towed? It seems fine to me. Why so much talk about "flat deck"only.

Got my smart back on Wednesday. :D SAM unit, Fuel pump and Repair set SAM. Parts - $1428.65, Total - $2207.28, covered by extended Warranty. Glad (NOW) my Wife insisted on that when we got the car.Polar, I was expecting a flat deck and when I questioned it, the driver said with the rear wheel drive it would be okay on the front wheels and he strapped the steering wheel to stop it from turning.

SAM unit. Wow. Have you ever had the windshield replaced? If so, have it re-sealed, as a leak could be what killed the first one...Plus fuel pump. Double wow.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been dealing with an intermittent fuel pump problem for the past two months. The fuel pump would not always activate upon start up, causing the car to try to turn over but not start. After ripping out the SAM module for further inspection I noticed the fuel pump pin on the 11-3 connector was damaged. The inside of the pin had melted, was charred and corroded. Has anybody experienced this before? I was told the replacement 11-3 harness will cost around 70$.

post-310-1278695191_thumb.jpg

Edited by ProgFrog

I've been dealing with an intermittent fuel pump problem for the past two months. The fuel pump would not always activate upon start up, causing the car to try to turn over but not start. After ripping out the SAM module for further inspection I noticed the fuel pump pin on the 11-3 connector was damaged. The inside of the pin had melted, was charred and corroded. Has anybody experienced this before? I was told the replacement 11-3 harness will cost around 70$.

I've just gone through this exactly. Only the dealership has said they must change all connectors and the SAM unit = $1500!

Wait a second... what dealership are you going to? I'm at Ogilvie, and the car is still there.

Edited by Drexus

Got my smart back on Wednesday. :D SAM unit, Fuel pump and Repair set SAM. Parts - $1428.65, Total - $2207.28, covered by extended Warranty. Glad (NOW) my Wife insisted on that when we got the car.Polar, I was expecting a flat deck and when I questioned it, the driver said with the rear wheel drive it would be okay on the front wheels and he strapped the steering wheel to stop it from turning.

So if your pump killed the SAM, why wouldn't the fuse for the pump blow?

So if your pump killed the SAM, why wouldn't the fuse for the pump blow?

I don't know why. That's what fuses are for, but if the pump was burning out and not shorting, it could overheat the wires back to the SAM and the connection may be the weakest point where it started to melt.

Something in that circuit is not sized correctly, be it the fuse or the wiring. If the fuel pump is fused by itself, I would try running it on a slightly smaller fuse to protect the wiring.

You need to fix what ever the issue is causing such a high current draw to melt things before you replace any connectors or the SAM - otherwise it will repeat itself and I would think rather annoyingly quickly.You shouldn't flat tow a smart for a couple of reasons - one it plays havoc on the front end bumping them around like that and the smart doesn't have really good spots to hook up to (aside from the tow hooks which I imagine he didn't use) - two it can mess with the ESP since it sees the front wheels doing their thing but the back not - best if they have to tow it on the hook is to use wheel dollies (the type that fit under the wheels) and most modern professional tow trucks have them - including the one you used - he was just too lazy to use them.Cheers,Cameron

You need to fix what ever the issue is causing such a high current draw to melt things before you replace any connectors or the SAM - otherwise it will repeat itself and I would think rather annoyingly quickly.You shouldn't flat tow a smart for a couple of reasons - one it plays havoc on the front end bumping them around like that and the smart doesn't have really good spots to hook up to (aside from the tow hooks which I imagine he didn't use) - two it can mess with the ESP since it sees the front wheels doing their thing but the back not - best if they have to tow it on the hook is to use wheel dollies (the type that fit under the wheels) and most modern professional tow trucks have them - including the one you used - he was just too lazy to use them.Cheers,Cameron

Well, I got my 450 back and $1500 later I have a new SAM and a new connector. I had them leave the old SAM in a bag for me. So I examined the connector and found that two connection points were melted.Here is what I think happened:The car drives on some bumpy roads. So the connector is subject to vibration. This makes it jiggle and move slightly. As the wires relax into their rest position from the factory installation, they allow the connector to vibrate free. So the high current on the pins is now create a small resistance when the connection is disturbed. This heats them up. The plastic begins to warm (not melt) which makes the connection more relaxed. The pins soon begin to arc, creating a lot of heat - melting the connector points - which allows the metal contacts in the connector to move out of place - breaking the electrical connection - killing your fuel supply.My recommendation is for everyone to check the connector NOW, and see if there is any enlarged holes. It's the forward most connector (towards the driver) when you pull down the SAM. I would zip-tie the connector to something that will ensure the wires have no chance of moving. Do it so there is some slight pressure in some direction. Perhaps if you see enlarged holes, you should add some dielectric grease to keep it happy, and check it periodically.Had I found this before I brought it into Mercedes, I could have easily fixed the issue. But since I didn't think this sort of thing could happen, I never suspected the connector. Sucks to be me. Oh well, I'll watch for it on my other 450 now.

My smart is gone to London smart Center. A couple of weeks ago I couldn't get it to start when we stopped in Kitchener. After about 1/2 hour, it started, and has been good until Saturday. Saturday it wouldn't start again. Would turn over, but not start. Tried several times over the weekend and today called extended warranty to get it towed to London. I called to let them know it was coming, and got a call this evening that they had a quick look and will diagnose tomorrow. This will be the first major test of the extended warranty. It covered a broken front spring, but I think there may be a fuel pump problem, so I hope it's covered. :(

My smart just did the turn over, won't start for the first time tonight. It also started about a half hour later. Where do I look for this harness to check that first? Would appreciate the help

As a starting point, check the battery state of charge and electrolyte levels.

As a starting point, check the battery state of charge and electrolytle levels.

k, the battery is fully charged, how do i access this particular wiring harness?

Not sure what you mean. What is the battery's static voltage?

post-10594-1329586209_thumb.jpgCheck the ground wires in the engine bay right on top of the fan look up you'll see 8 brown wires hold together with 10 knew bolt. The ground to to fuel pump is here. My wire was broken off. Something the engine just die while driving or wouldn't start. I solder all the wires together. Problem solve! Note the bypass relay from the SAM unit was already done at the dealer . I guess from the last owner.