houseofdiesel

So How Many Clear 600kms A Tank?

300 posts in this topic

43? Unlikely. It makes me giggle when people quote the Humidex or windchill factor as the temperature. The hottest it has ever been in London is 38.2° (Montreal? 37.6°). Are we likely to break these records in the near future? For sure, thanks to climate change and the extremes it promotes.Nevertheless, I agree that it is damn hot this week. I was for the first time uncomfortable driving with the top down yesterday.

I wasn't quoting the Humidex... I was just being silly. but yeah... I should have said 55 or something bigger to make my point... anyways... I think it is suppose to get to 39.3 today.anyways that is crazy hot from me. I might even turn on the A/C in the house for the 3rd time this year!Well thats was an off topic rant!But i am still getting good FE HAHA!

Last tank 654kms, showed 1L remaining, this tank looking similar at 575 with reserve just on at 5L remaining. I run 34-35 psi, I like a rough ride.

I wasn't quoting the Humidex... I was just being silly. but yeah... I should have said 55 or something bigger to make my point... anyways... I think it is suppose to get to 39.3 today.anyways that is crazy hot from me. I might even turn on the A/C in the house for the 3rd time this year!Well thats was an off topic rant!But i am still getting good FE HAHA!

LOL, I knew you were exaggerating for effect. :) 39 is DANG HOT. It was 39 (real temperature) in Minneapolis when I was there on Monday afternoon, AND humid. The Humidex was 53!!! The airport's air conditioning couldn't keep up.

609km with still 1.0L left in tank!I think that is awesome! I love it... Average speed is about 80km/hri got 3.58L/100KM this on this tank!! I love it... I feel like I am saving the world!!! 1 week at a time.-Same guy-Yeah my AC at home couldn't keep up either... it is set for 28 during the day and 26 in the evnings When I got home it was 31 in the house and never got cooler then 27 ... it was just too hot!

Edited by derekbrochu

We are in the lower 600's often, no super fill or anything, a couple of 700's as well. Overall avg 3.62 on almost 100,000 kms.Headed for Harve Saint Pierre from Montreal in 2 weeks, slightly downhill and hopefully a nice tailwind will make for some big tanks. Does anyone know where the pavement ends and the gravel begins on the 138? I checked transport Quebec but couldn't find anything. Cheers, Mark

I'm doing too much stop and go traffic to get above 4.5l/100km.... Although last weekend I was cruising up the island with some hills and fully loaded, camping gear and two bikes were I averaged 3.7l/100km ! Anyhow, I'm not complaining! Any other ride would set me back by at least twice as much :D

Ahmm... I hate to brag... but with my 33L/35L tank mod I routinely get over 800km, driving hard hwy speeds. The mod wasnt easy, but since my commute is so far I felt it was worth the trouble and expense. I posted here when I installed the larger tank a year or so ago.Happy motoring!

We got our first tank over 600 kms. 641kms on 32.55L for our gasser. Not as good as diesels, but that makes a combined hwy/city (65% city) on that tank of 5.1L/100. We happy! :D I don't know how, but the FE keeps getting better and better. :)

Yes. Averaging 5.4LHK over the first 1144km. Fuel price is a bit of a shock at over $1.40/L for premium. For some reason the Fuelly number is out of whack?

Sorry for the late reply, but the 138 has pavement all the way to Natashquan. Was there in 2005. There is a stretch east of Natashquan that is gravel. Drove that too. How'd you end up doing on the north shore?

Posted Image

There is some talk of the road going through to Kegaska and beyond. I hope not.... that stretch you have to take the Relais Nordik to and from is nice to leave alone IMO... and anyway, you can snowmobile between them in winter. Harrington Harbour is just out of this world.... one of my top five all time favourite days ever....

Posted Image

I'm happy to see folks above 600 kms on a tank. Assuming a 21 litre fill at 600 kms, that's a 3.5, which is a good solid number. Getting to 700 kms is going to be about 3.0. And if you reach 800, that's a 2.6 roughly, better than 100 mpg imperial.

I filled at 1.5 L remaining this last week in SK, and that was a 727 km tank... I was looking to break 850, but didn't want to chance running out on an early AM trip thru smaller places.

First tank this year with warm weather and all season tires, 655km, 0.5L on the count down, one week of A/C usage.  AC still working like new after 7 years.  

The best LPH I can get is 3.4 lph......I do not know how you guys get over 600kms per tank though..lol....I chicken out when that flashing warning light starts as i live possibly too far away from frequent gas stations......and i do not wish to drain the tank that low....I'm very happy seeing that 3.4 on occasion, breaking below 4 is easy now.

I think I recall driving like a granny for one tank and got 600 km, but was happy with the 500 to 550 km range I got with normal (drive it like you stole it) driving.

Also... bumping a post from 2011? Holy necrobump! 

Edited by darren

9 hours ago, MikeT said:

LPH?  Why?

Hmmm...?

What's the problem..?

I did manage for the first time to break 3.4lph yesterday for 10 minutes down to 3.3lph but it wouldn't stay, I can sit at 3.4lph for a long time once i get down to it as long as I aren't in a very hilly area......most of my driving is on basically flat to rolling hills.

Haha it's a very weird way to measure fuel consumption!  In a motorboat it's normal.

1 hour ago, stickman007 said:

Confusion between Litres Per Hour vs Litres Per Hundred Kilometres?

OK, now I see, I meant it as Litres per Hundred Kms.....

In North America, fuel consumption was measured in Miles per Gallon (whether it be US gallons or Imperial) until some bright spark decided to change over to Metric.  Not a problem for some, but the backwards way of measuring fuel consumption became very confusing to the majority of Canadian born drivers.

Most drivers that I talk with prefer to know how far a measured amount of fuel will take you (miles per gallon or kilometers per litre).

For some reason, it ended up backwards suggesting that how many litres to travel 100 kilometers was better (?) It makes for a very confusing conversation when discussing fuel economy.  The chart below might help.

Fuel conversion chart.jpg

1 person likes this

It always bugged me that even on the ScanGauge, L/100 km was abbreviated to "LHK". 

Personally, I prefer L/100 km. It more directly speaks to fuel consumption (and conservation) than to range. Measuring consumption trends toward zero, whereas measuring range trends toward infinity.

Edited by darren

Never once, ever hit 600 km on a tank. I don't think I've even hit 500 km. I know that I can hit 500 but I don't want to drive it until it says 0 L till empty. I now only fill it until it clicks as not to spill fuel everywhere and waste precious time on filling. I use to, but I found it incredibly difficult to get consistent fills with the car and the range varied so much. All I pay attention to now is the consumption rather than how much I can possibly squeeze into the tank.

If I can hit 400 km before the gas pump starts flashing, I'm happy. Usually it comes on before that though. Extrapolating that: 5L remaining would yield at least another 100km.

I usually fill up when I pass a gas station that actually sells diesel.

Average consumption is around 4-5 L/100 km on my hilly commute at 110-120 kph and usually a predominant headwind one of the directions or both.

That's with a significant boost leak and a broken air duct. I'm still happy with that. 

Edited by kelaog

I managed to hit 615km once a few years back when I drove to from Edmonton to Williams Lake. I had 0L on the dash when I pulled into the gas station. It wasn't done on purpose, I forgot that some gas stations don't open on statutory holidays and it was was in the middle of the night. Rather not try that again...our in-tank lift pump uses fuel for cooling.