houseofdiesel

So How Many Clear 600kms A Tank?

293 posts in this topic

I think I can say I will never get 600km from a tank.

oh It is easy once you start driving smart ... Red lights I just slow down farther away they turn to green before I get there... less stop and go... more coasting... slower starts when I have to stop. and if you do a super fill you will for sure get a 600 tank or better!

3.9l/100km, again! Loving it! 90% highway at 100km/h 10% innercity with cold engine and heater booster on. Not sure if I could get it below that if I would slow down a bit... So far I love my $15 fill ups! Compare to $75 with my last ride... :rolleyes:

3.9l/100km, again! Loving it! 90% highway at 100km/h 10% innercity with cold engine and heater booster on.

So how are you getting this milage at 100km/Hr ...I am not geting that at 85Km/Hr I'm only getting about 4.1l/100km with the booster heater off!that is crazy!

It's a left-coast thing. After a while, those of us in the East learn to ignore their braggadocio! :DWith my big snow tires I have yet to get a tank below 5.0 this winter. Luckily the Quebec snow tire law is only in effect until 15 March -- which is typically when the weather gets noticeably milder and the roads remain free of ice and snow -- so I'll have my summers back on in the next three weeks (about another tank).

So how are you getting this milage at 100km/Hr ...

How many time do you have to stop and go during your commute? My 55km commute at 80-82 kph I can still get numbers around 3.5 - 3.8 LHK if there is no wind. I have to stop 5 times during my drive home, 7 times going to work. No oil or coolant preheating.

How many time do you have to stop and go during your commute?

Varies, depending on the 7.7 km route (one way) - 16 to 20 lights and about 5 crosswalks. Probably not the best Diesel track but I am not going any further than I have to.

Varies, depending on the 7.7 km route (one way) - 16 to 20 lights and about 5 crosswalks. Probably not the best Diesel track but I am not going any further than I have to.

There it is... you will never get it lower then that at that short trip with so many stops!Cheers mate...

Yup. The only reason mine is in the mid-4s is that my 15 Km commute has a ~5 km stretch of freeway or service road that I take at very easy speeds, and I rarely drive during rush hours so I can time the lights on city streets. Add in the occasional 170 km round-trip to the US, and I can keep my numbers OK. But whenever I do short hops to the supermarket, etc., forget about anything lower than 6.0 L/100 Km. Won't happen.On the bright side: when your weather is less numbing, that commute is a very short one on a bicycle. 15 minutes if you're out of shape like I am, maybe 10 if you're Mike T.

The prairies are pretty flat.As far as getting those numbers, a FE monitor helps a great deal, as does cruise control.As it has been stated short trips are murder for FE, if the car never fully warms up. Speed is the enemy of FE, due to the less than stellar coefficient of drag of the smart. Run the posted speed limit and the FE numbers are quite respectable in the smart. Cruise control being the greatest aid for me to just travel at the speed limit.

The prairies are pretty flat.As far as getting those numbers, a FE monitor helps a great deal, as does cruise control.As it has been stated short trips are murder for FE, if the car never fully warms up. Speed is the enemy of FE, due to the less than stellar coefficient of drag of the smart. Run the posted speed limit and the FE numbers are quite respectable in the smart. Cruise control being the greatest aid for me to just travel at the speed limit.

I would agree with this... CC is a must... as I don't have it in my smart but in my old car I did and I saw why better FE when I used it!!! I notice that I do get a heavy foot after a long trip... holding any speed for long times is hard to do... (Foot and leg cramps LOL!)

I would venture (yet again) that cruise control is only of use if you regularly lose focus on how you're driving. It's been proven time and again in all kinds of cars that cruise improves FE with drivers who lose that focus, but it never is as good as an attentive driver -- even without resorting to hyper-miling techniques.Now, if we could have "load control," then we'd be onto something.

In the winter, I don't try to get the most kilometers out of one tank. Good fuel efficiency, yes; but don't run the tank down really low. Not only is that asking for condensation buildup, but you never know in winter when you might get stuck somewhere harsh and cold, and need that last 1/4 tank to keep warm and survive, or need those extra weight of fuel in the tank for traction.Not a good idea to go below one blob in the winter season. IMHO/YMMV of course ;) Old habits...Bil :senile:

Bang-on, Bil! I was always taught in the winter to stay above 1/4 tank. This is especially important in a Diesel.-Iain

Filled up today, 573.6 km with 2.0L flashing on the display.

that is amazing. I just filled up with 1.5 flashing and was at about 450km. I am going to check my tire pressure!!!

Nah, some of us are just that lucky. Summer I get 180+ on the first blob and an easy 550-650 a tank. Now I am lucky to get 120 on the first and 450 or so on the tank. Summer tires on, summer fuel in, and warmer weather and it shoots back up.

My first blobs disappear at about 120 km yet the lifetime FE is under 4.0....in the green car. The white one's L/100 is heading downwards.

Yeah, it's the harsh winter here that's almost all the difference. I'm quite sure I'd be much closer to 4.0 L/100 Km in a milder or more temperate climate, and with no reliance on winter tires.

Yeah, it's the harsh winter here that's almost all the difference. I'm quite sure I'd be much closer to 4.0 L/100 Km in a milder or more temperate climate, and with no reliance on winter tires.

I agree... the winter with the up and down in Temp and then the blasting of snow...

today I noticed I am at 290km this fill up and I still have 3 dots... I wonder how long the third dot will be around? I am hoping till at least 325 that will get me over 600km if it does! :D

isn't it almost spring yet?????