Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SMARTER NOW

Hamilton To South Bend In

55 posts in this topic

Well it seems to be worth the buy ... the scan gauge anyways. I always wanted to know when the drafting started to have an affect on the car. Because I am far away from to too close ... because so I am not even sure if I am getting any drag. but I would drive closer but what every. I have been driving like 95-105 on the highway as of late. we will see how i do on this tank.Cheers

You're doing well already! :DI've found the draft is noticeable back about four trailer-lengths, or about 200 feet. At 50 to 100 feet it is a good compromise between the perception of safety and noticeable fuel economy gains. Closer than 50 feet, there is a bit too much buffeting. Trying to be courteous to the truck drivers, I bought a hand-held CB radio so I could let them know I was tucking in for a draft. On my last long highway road trip in July, I took it along and left it on channel 19. The only traffic I heard was for about two miles between Brockville and the 1000 Islands Bridge, and again for about two miles between Syracuse and Buffalo. I never got a response from truckers whenever I hailed. Oh well. Maybe they listen on FRS these days?

You're doing well already! :DI've found the draft is noticeable back about four trailer-lengths, or about 200 feet. At 50 to 100 feet it is a good compromise between the perception of safety and noticeable fuel economy gains. Closer than 50 feet, there is a bit too much buffeting. Trying to be courteous to the truck drivers, I bought a hand-held CB radio so I could let them know I was tucking in for a draft. On my last long highway road trip in July, I took it along and left it on channel 19. The only traffic I heard was for about two miles between Brockville and the 1000 Islands Bridge, and again for about two miles between Syracuse and Buffalo. I never got a response from truckers whenever I hailed. Oh well. Maybe they listen on FRS these days?

Hi, good going on trying to let the truck know you are not some whack jobI drive a "large car" frequently, and when a following car gets close behind me, I get nervous Even with a full load, with air brakes I can likely slow down faster than a close behind car can< add in the car driver reaction time and that's why I get nervous >Once I know a following vehicle is "ok", by communication, I can relax a bitAs well as advise them of upcoming issues, debris in lane, vehicle on shoulder, etcPlus, I never exceed the posted speed limitIf a third vehicle comes flying up behind, < like an impaired SUV >< sorry is that too redundant ? >Then the car following me takes the potential hitMost trucks have their CB always on, sometimes at low level if having been recently in range of a "motor mouth"Eventually they notice and turn it back upHope this helpsPS:when you pass a truck, do it & get it over withdon't linger along side & admire the rig

Hehe... both stretches where I heard radio traffic it was indeed dominated by a rude, belligerent motor-mouth who was cursing out almost everyone on the channel. Probably some old coot in the ham shack in his basement. :)I'll bring it along on the next trip and keep trying. Thanks!

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, But Iam still far away back so that I can react. I also want to see what's on the road ahead so i don't hit a blow'n out tire on the road.Thanks for the tips