Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
briand

Brabus Front Splitter Fitting Question

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I ordered and received the Brabus front splitter for the 450. I dropped it off at a local repair shop that matched the paint perfectly. I found this out when they had to replace a windshield and do some panel repainting. The color is spot on. The painter there is a genius.

I have a question about the kit. It comes with two washers and two pop rivets as seen below.

Posted Image

The Evilution guide (found at http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=156) for fitting the Brabus splitter says to use zip ties:

Posted Image

I have two problems with this:

First, what is to keep the zip tie from sliding down? Then it isn't doing its job and it probably looks yucky.

Second, I cannot find a zip tie long enough and thin enough that would allow me to make the zip tie tight enough to properly hold the pieces together.

How would the pop rivets and washers be fitted to properly secure the black tabs to the front splitter?

Edited by briand

I used a nut and bolt for mine on each side, through the bracket and into the plastic.And I sure didn't use rivets

Edited by Coast Steve

I like the nut and bolt idea, CS. I don't want to drill into the plastic and the nut and bolt (with a washer :) ) idea through the pre-drilled hole would make the black tabs and front splitter removable. I cannot imagine I would want to remove the front splitter but I guess one never knows what the future will bring :DHowever, why would you not use the rivet? Because the rivets prevent the separation of the black tabs and the front splitter?

Edited by briand

Mine just snaps into place on the spoiler but it came that way from BRABUS, sorry I can't help.

No worries, Mike_T. I think its because the splitter comes from Brabus with the pop rivets holding the black tab to the splitter at the spot where the Evilution how-to shows the zip ties.

I am kind of "thinking out loud" now. The more I look at the how-to and the parts, I have no idea why one would NOT use the pop rivets to secure the black tabs to the splitter. As can be seen in the pictures at the Evilution how-to, the black tabs are very integral to keep the splitter from moving about. And the black tabs cannot be used on anything else. End of my "thinking out loud." :P

Here are more pictures:

Posted Image

Above, the original splitter is separated from the front panel.

Posted Image

Above, the new Brabus splitter, painted to match the panels, awaiting install.

Posted Image

Above, the old splitter (black) is laid on top of the new Brabus splitter (grey/silver). I tried to line their respective tops up exactly so I could show the difference in height between stock and Brabus. I will get measurements and post them later.

I'd probably just use the pop-rivets as supplied. If you need to remove them, as for a repair after it breaks or whatever, just drill them out. In the meantime, if they are installed correctly they won't come loose. POP! ... easier than spinning nuts and bolts.B :sun:

I wrote to Kane/Evilution about it and he replied today saying that he could not find a rivet gun that would fit in the area where the pop rivets go, hence the zip tie solution.

And as promised, here are pictures with measurements:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, there is not much room between the two upside-down looking U sections (where the black tabs insert) and the bottom lip of the splitter. With the black tabs inserted and the rivets sticking out the proper direction, there is not enough room to get any rivet gun I could find at Home Depot or Ace Hardware into that tiny area. :(

Edited by briand

REALLY nice,I wish I had that color over black.I would also like those headlights in my little car.

Edited by Coast Steve

It is a fabulous item, too expensive though!

It is a fabulous item, too expensive though!

+1... Far too costly!B :sun:

Too Expensive - From the Guy that popped for a Canada 1 edition? ;):lol::lol: Cheers,Cameron

As an accessory that needed painting, the price was too high! The side sills were even worse at $1000! Cal and Muriel got a set at 1/4 price! As OE equipment on a rare car, well it was a good deal!

Edited by Mike T

Cal and Muriel got a set at 1/4 price!

Wow... how'd they manage that!?:sun:

Any trouble with sandblasting because of the BRABUS skirts? I can't imagine what my rear quarters would look like without the mud flaps in place....

Wow... how'd they manage that!?

Three Point Motors Garage Sale in 2008. They're still not on their car. I should make them an offer (spares for the white car).Sandblasting has not proven to be a problem with either the front spoiler or side sills on my white car, but they were painted at BRABUS and maybe they put the correct flex agents into the paint. There are no chips on mine after 13K+ km.

Here it is fitted to the front panels

Posted Image

and the whole set is attached to the car! :)

Posted Image

Where do you buy those headlights? They are cool!!

Headlights are stock on the US ZIP conversion cars - look nice but right up there with BRABUS partsCheers,Cameron

Hotwheels, Speedie is correct. That head light assembly came on all of the USA ZAP and G&K conversion cars (1026 in total). It seemed our Dept. of Transportation did not like the OEM setup and had G&K change the entire assembly. I think if you call G&K and ask to speak with Edward, you might be able to buy the assemblies. I am not sure how simple or difficult it would be to fit these. You would also have to find a place for your turn indicators. In the G&K conversions, the turn signals were moved to the factory fog light locations. I heard someone mention that the headlight assembly uses the low and high beam lenses/projectors from the Roadster. However, if that were 100% true, why are the bulbs H9 and not H7 like (according to Evilution) in the Roadster? Also, the assemblies that the high and low beams are in should have been painted to either match the Tridion or the body panels. They start to yellow over time and it does not look so good.Interesting fact, all of the G&K (not sure about ZAP) conversions have all of the original wires for the OEM headlight assembly. If you do the swap back to the OEM assembly on G&K cars, all of the electrical wires are present for the headlights and the motors!! :)

Edited by briand

Any trouble with sandblasting because of the BRABUS skirts? I can't imagine what my rear quarters would look like without the mud flaps in place....

That is my question as well. I asked Glenn about his S-Mann side skirts and sandblasting. If I remember correctly he said that it didn't reduce it 100%. Edited by briand

That is my question as well. I asked Glenn about his S-Mann side skirts and sandblasting. If I remember correctly he said that it didn't reduce it 100% sandblasting.

My rear fender fronts are totally sandblasted !And I've tried 3 different rubber and plastic mudguards. Edited by Coast Steve

My rear fender fronts are totally sandblasted !And I've tried 3 different rubber and plastic mudguards.

I think there must be a way to prevent this. I've been reading through a Porsche forum and one of the guys is getting his class licenses. I think they posted pictures of what they did to the rear wheel fenders (since theirs flare out like ours) to prevent rock chips and sandblasting. I'll see if I can find it.

Yes good idea,I was told by an autobody man, the reason is not the front tires mud flap size, it's the swirling air coming off the front tires shooting out to the side mixing with the small stones and sand, The cars movement forward then does the sandblasting just by moving forward.Makes sense to me

Edited by Coast Steve

Have the clear 3M panels on the front of my rear fenders - work like a hot damn (I have the wheel extenders so they tend to send a lot of material backwards).Cheers,Cameron