Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beejum

Seat base rust on 2006 Pure

18 posts in this topic

My 2006 Pure (23,000 kms) has been a rugged and reliable friend both summer and winter but today, just a couple of weeks before the 4 yr / 80,000 km warranty expires (I bought it in August, 2006) I noticed rust around the driver's seat base at the carpeting level. Obviously the result of infiltration and winter driving. I took it to the dealership who made a report (I obtained a copy). They will investigate eligibility on warranty and get back to me.Question: what do we know about rust patterns on this model? Where else should I check for rust? Thanks for your advice!

I would look all over the floor and pull the underbody cladding and look at the seams in there. Montréal is not a happy place for cars.

Could it be from slush tracked into the car? They still use salt on the roads in Montreal don't they? That combination will cause rust on most steel objects - painted or not. The smart has a pretty good under car tray - helps keep some of the crud away. Unfortunately floor coverings can abrade the paint causing places that rust can start (common on a lot of cars).Other common areas for rust would be inside the axle tubes, battery well, rear tridion areas by the engine. They use a pretty tough powder coat on the tridion and they do squirt the inside with wax (sort of like some of the rust preventatives). Rust usually takes hold where water can sit or mud builds up. Eastern Canada is pretty hard on cars as well because of the salt used in some areas and the fact that the temperature hovers just around the freezing point for so long (frozen water is not as prone to cause rust).I think there is an extended warranty on rust preforation (not the cosmetic kind) in Canada - you might want to check on that.Cheers,Cameron

My 05 has rust on the seat supports too, & last year cleaned the rust off as best I could in situ & painted the areas with Rustoleum.This year the rust is back so it looks like the seat(s) will have to come up/off.

I have the same rust problem on my driver's side. No rust elsewhere so I'm assuming that it is just salty boot slush causing the issue. I did ask about a warranty fix but apparently it doesn't cover this sort of cosmetic rust.

A big floor mat, with sides and slosh baffles, emptied frequently and regularly rinsed. It's the salty slush tracked in causing the problem. Take the seats out, clean it up well, wash the salt out of the carpet, paint with Rustoleum or similar, then get that mat before the winter.Or move to a more clement clime? Buy a winter beater?

Take the seat base to a powder coater or a hot dip galvanizer - it is just a cheap spray finish right now. Pretty easy to get out but you can't drive the car while it is not there.Cheers,Cameron

I have the same issue, was thinking of getting it blasted and powder coated or maybe even line-x. kinda scaring me what is under the carpet if the support is showing this kinda rust

The floor is powder coated with the rest of the Tridion so is pretty good under the carpet - the seat brackets are not very well painted to start with.Cheers,Cameron

And I just pulled the carpet up from around the D/S support that I repainted last year, near the floor where the carpet had protected the metal...no/little rust but above that.... a lot.

Careful with POR15 - don't get it on anything you don't want it on - it is an epoxy base and sticks really good - I have used it to seal gas tanks. It is fairly thick too so it does hide the pits in metal.

If you want to remove rust and don't have a bead blaster or sand blaster - check out electrolytic rust removal - all you need is a plastic tub - some washing soda (not baking) - a battery charger and a chunk of scrap steel for an electrode. Works really good - you can even clean the inside of a tank if you get ingenious with the electrode. It saves a lot of sanding and scraping (and cussing). Plus it doesn't remove any good metal or paint and gets into places you can't.

You will have pits where the rust was but it will be nice and clean and easy to get filler of some sort to stick. I usually use a phosphoric acid rust treatment (converts the the oxides to a black oxide) then prime and paint.

Rust removal the easy way.

Cheers,

Cameron

Thank you all!Waiting to hear from MB, but expecting to have to deal with it myself..

And I just pulled the carpet up from around the D/S support that I repainted last year, near the floor where the carpet had protected the metal...no/little rust but above that.... a lot.

Both my 450s have rust in the same places. I think I will pull the seats next summer and treat them.

Huh. I can't find my good, old charger -- must have loaned it out. My new one delivers plenty of current, but the ECU won't deliver it to anything but a battery. Crap.

Careful with POR15 - don't get it on anything you don't want it on

Like skin! Once on your skin it will never come off. You have to wait until the skin sloughs off. POR measels last for weeks!

LOL - yes I wound up wearing some POR for a while too - that is how I know 'bout it.A low amperage trickle charger (i.e. really cheap) works too - just takes longer to get rid of the rust - should try a solar panel then I could really claim that is a green process - as long as the sun shine the rust goes...Cheers,Cameron