Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jaimemusic

How to install alternator in a fortwo!

5 posts in this topic

Hello guys!!

I was wondering if someone knew how to plug in and install the alternator for a fortwo. I had to replace it for a new one but now i do not know how to put it back in its place. Is there someone that can help me. All i see are 3 cables. The alterantor has 3 place where all of this cables could go but i do not want to plug them in the wrong place.

Thanks!!!!

Posted Image

Don't plug them in the wrong places! I don't know offhand, someone will. Please specify what car you have, is it a new 451 or one of the earlier 450 Zap cars? From the picture that is what it looks like.

Couple folks have swapped out their alternators - checked some other sites - no indication of the wiring (which is what seems to be your grief) - hang tough - sure someone will let you know fairly soon.Cheers,Cameron

Hi Jaime1

I just read your request. I replaced two alternators in two different smarts in the past three years or so.

Here is a link: http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopi...p;hl=alternator

Also, if I remember correctly, two of the wires share a stud on the alternator, which is smaller than the other stud. The larger single terminal goes on the other, larger, stud.

I still have one bad alternator somewhere in my garage... I will try finding it to confirm the above statement.

HTH,