Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pulsating

I bought another JDM car: a Mazda Autozam AZ-1!

23 posts in this topic

Some of you may recall that a couple of years ago I bought a Nissan Figaro:

Posted Image

Well, I just can't get enough of that RHD goodness, so when a certain rare little sportscar came up for sale, I couldn't resist. Here she is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

All the kids together:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a picture of me sitting in it:

Posted Image

It's tiny - much, much smaller than a Smart - and quick (after driving a diesel Smart for 5 years, everything is quick!) and loads of fun!

Cool! We might be out your way late in August, maybe we'll see one on the road!

Sweet! They make a great trio.I've never seen that Mazda before ---- it's styling is vaguely Lotus-like. Love the gull-wings, too. 600cc??

Yep - it's a true kei car. 660cc of pure goodness.Mike, if you are passing through Lethbridge, be sure to give me a call. My number is four oh three three two seven zero three six eight. We can meet up for coffee!

Will do, we should be around there ~24-25 August in the B 200.

Wow... they are all gorgeous! Lucky guy!

Bil :sun:

Glenn et al; Figaros are not difficult to find (relatively speaking, of course). I bought both of these cars from an importer here in Canada, but of course you can just import them yourself as well. There are several really good exporters in Japan that can find virtually anything you want (providing it is 15 years old).

I would LOVE to import the kei version of the Smart Fortwo - it is even smaller than ours, believe it or not! I think that would be a blast...

I have a real love affair with Japanese cars, especially from the 90s. It was a golden age for design in that country (not so much anymore - recessions always seem to kill off-the-wall creativity, unfortunately), and I just love quirky design.

The wife says no more for me, though. Although I could probably convince her that eventually I'll need a small pickup truck (so that I can do more work around the house, of course ;) )

The one I have my eye on is this:

Posted Image

A Daihatsu Midget II.

An added bonus about these vehicles is that they are cheap. You can buy three great funky vehicles for the price of one new North American one. It's a win-win situation all 'round!

I like that Mazda (well, I like them all). Depending on the angle you can kind of see elements of other cars...from dead on it kind of looks like an FC3S RX-7 mixed with a Porsche 928, the side reminds me of an MR-2 and the rear makes me think of a cross between a 300ZX and a Skyline.That Figaro looks mint.

I would LOVE to import the kei version of the Smart Fortwo - it is even smaller than ours, believe it or not! I think that would be a blast...

The 450 meets the physical size requirements of the kei class. I had thought that the only difference was the power train, which must be 660cc or smaller.

That little Mazda looks great! Somehow yellow is the perfect color for it.Congrats on the purchase! Dang

The 450 meets the physical size requirements of the kei class. I had thought that the only difference was the power train, which must be 660cc or smaller.

Actually, to meet the vehicle width specifications for Kei, the pre-Elchtest rear fenders with skinny rear wheels and tires had to be used, in addition to the 599 cc version of the suprex engine.

That little Mazda looks great! Somehow yellow is the perfect color for it.Congrats on the purchase! Dang

Dan - totally off topic here, but I'd love to talk to you about your Nissan Cube sometime. My wife loves them, and her 12-year-old Saturn is due for a replacement. You can PM me, or we can even meet up sometime. Thanks.Ross

Wow those all must be costly to buy... I would love to do buy up an old odd car like that... I guess I am too young to make that kind of investment just yet. Well they are all gems.and they all look like pure goodness!Cheers

Wow those all must be costly to buy... I would love to do buy up an old odd car like that... I guess I am too young to make that kind of investment just yet. Well they are all gems.and they all look like pure goodness!Cheers

they aren't anywhere near what you thinkthey aren't anywhere near what you thinkthey aren't anywhere near what you thinklol